Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Smith has passed away ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Dave Smith has passed away ... Reply with quote

Rest In Peace legend.

https://www.sequential.com/

Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how sad, he was just at SuperBooth, prayer's for you Dave and your family, heaven just got another awesome engineer and Synth designer. Gonna be a heck of reunion with Bob Moog. RIP Dave.
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Such sad news. This actually got me right in the feels. He contributed so much to the electronic music scene - but also seemed like a genuinely decent person in doing so. Was just reading some interviews with him list night, and I always appreciated his pragmatic perspective.

I bought a “Dave Smith Instruments” Tetra a few years ago and loved it. Recently I’ve been wanting a Rev 2 or Prophet 5. I hope the company and the team in California are in good hands. Hopefully he got to enjoy some time after he sold to Focusrite a few months back. Suddenly his decision to sell makes more sense.

My respects and best wishes go out to his family, friends, peers and the team at Sequential/DSI. Sorry for the your loss, the world is poorer without him.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bummer. I met Dave several times, he was a great guy. Will be sorely missed. His contributions to synth technology are legendary.

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May he rest in peace.

He will be sorely missed, he was one of the few pioneers that consistently combined innovation with quallity.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good man that done great things. No doubt in heaven still making music.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a real heart sinker to hear the news. Never met him but, having seen many interviews and presentations given by the man, and the instruments he has created and influenced the design of, it's clear that his will be an enduring legacy.

Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable man what he created almost 50 years ago still holds up today and worth reissues etc.

A true pioneer that we owe everything.

I heard in the 80's a Prophet 5 in a studio I was passing by, and made an impression that lasted all my life.

I even bought my first Nordlead due to saying they created the factory presets of P5 was present. Not that it sounded anything like I remembered, but just says what an impact Dave Smith had on my synth interest and others like Clavia folks too.

Still thinking if to get P6 or OB6 but haven't decided yet. OBX8 could be fun for sure, but not available as module. P5 REV4 missed doing panned stereo outs, and you have to buy addon electronics to get that, as I read on Sequential forum. Panned voices is such a treat.

Or Korg might show up with something new exiting on the analog scene. In no rush, really.

When it comes to core tone of the synth - Prologue still holds up against Polybrute. I'm confident Korg can outdone(is that the word) themselves again with a new flagship.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news. I will repeat hear what I posted on Yamaha Musicians, and tonight my Prophet X will get extra special attention

========

Legendary synth pioneer, Dave Smith has sadly passed away.

Dave was the visionary who gave us so many different ideas and concepts, such as
  • The first programmable polysynth in the Prophet 5 (not counting the CS80 approach)
  • The first synth to be microprocessor controlled
  • One of the founding fathers of MIDI and some of the features we take for granted were there at his insistence
  • Vector Synthesis (Prophet VS)
  • Wave Sequencing (expansion of Vector Synthesis) whilst working for Korg R&D after Sequential's acquisition
  • The first ever multi-timbral midi controlled synth
  • The first ever native software synthesizer, Reality - developed whilst with Seer systems for Intel to demo the power of the then new Pentium series

And many many more.

Like a lot of American companies, Sequential were small and never survived the onslaught of the Japanese synth explosion riding on the back of the DX7, and went out of business in the late 80s. However, Dave remained in the industry and eventually came back full circle making great synths under the Dave Smith's Instruments (DSI) name, as Yamaha had the rights to the Sequential name. However, Yamaha did the honourable thing and returned the name to Dave in 2015.

Since then, Dave and Sequential had a fantastic renaissance making many more great synths - a combination of recreating the classics like the Prophet 5 and also innovative new synths like the P12 and the Prophet X (winner of the 2019 NAMM Tech award - Sequential's third win), which I am fortunate to own one so I have a piece of Dave's incredible vision and legacy.

RIP Dave. What a legacy you have left behind.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Rockitman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Dave Smith Great Man Reply with quote

When Dave started Dave Smith Instruments. I was having an issue with my Poly Evolver. So I called the company phone number for support. Yep, it was Dave who answered and talked me through the issue. He was always kind and enthusiastic about his craft. He opened so many doors for musicians.
My first prophet was the 600 which I still have and still works today. I have a few others, The Prophet08, Tetra, Poly Evolver and Evolver rack, and recently the Prophet6. So I am a big Dave Smith Sequential fan. RIP Dave Smith, a pioneer for the ages.
hans1966

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly one of the great icons of the electronic industry.

rest in peace

I choose the Peace of God!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sad to hear this huge loss. But through his exceptional, influential creations he stays here in music forever.
Uncle Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Dave Smith.
I will not play my Poly Evolver the same way.
Space Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace...Dave..... He was One of the BEST and always will be remembered that way! Very sad indeed to know he is now gone from our World.. but never forgotten.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Dave - A lovely man.

I never did get round to owning a Dave smith instrument - as they were too expensive at the time I wanted one (1980-1990s etc). however, they weren't cheap for a reason, as they were exceptional synths ...

RIP Dave Smith Sad

JOHN 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: