Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Alternatives?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had some time to get used to the Nord Stage 3, gradually working it into the band's setlist. I can see why it's a standard for live performance, with its ease of use and on-the-fly tweakability. Everything the Kronos wasn't designed for. I'm taking it to a jam session tonight, something I'd never consider with my Kronos.

Much as I'm starting to like the NS3, I have to conclude that the Korg Kronos remains the most powerful stage synth I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The NS3 is famous for its pianos, but the Kronos pianos put it to shame. The Korg may not have the waterfall keys for organ playing, but its Leslie emulation and its distortion are far better.

As for synth leads, it's a tossup. The Kronos sounds better, but the squared-off piano-style keys are not conducive to fluid synth leads.

But I've found a solution for the keybed problem: MIDI the NS3 to the Korg and get the best of both worlds, playing organ and synth on the Nord's super-fast keyboard while using the Kronos patches.

There is just one issue still to be resolved, which is how to disconnect and reconnect the MIDI connection on the fly. Might have to rig up a footswitch if such a thing doesn't exist.

All in all, the NS3 and the Kronos make a great pairing.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
But I've found a solution for the keybed problem: MIDI the NS3 to the Korg and get the best of both worlds, playing organ and synth on the Nord's super-fast keyboard while using the Kronos patches.

There is just one issue still to be resolved, which is how to disconnect and reconnect the MIDI connection on the fly. Might have to rig up a footswitch if such a thing doesn't exist.

Google "MIDI kill switch" for devices that will let you switch the MIDI connection in and out... but in this case, probably the best thing to do is to use the Nord's EXT function. You can spcify which Nord Programs should or should not send external MIDI (along with other parameters), and you can turn it off with a front panel button on the Nord itself. More control, nothing extra to buy, nothing extra to wire up. You can globally turn off the Nord's other MIDI Outs (global, panel), so the only time any MIDI is sent out, it's when you specifically want it to play a Kronos sound.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, November 2022:

My original quest was for a lighter, more portable replacement for the Kronos.

That led me to the Nord Stage 3, which is everything the Kronos isn't, namely lightweight, geared more toward real-time tweaking, and an 8-second bootup. However, this comes at the cost of less-deep samples, less storage, fewer fx, and a dismal Leslie sim.

But put the NS3 and Kronos together and you've got everything you could want in a live performance setup. I got the Compact 73 version of the Nord, which has synth action. That's fun to play organ and synth leads on. For organ, I use the Nord keyboard to drive the Kronos' superior organ patches. I also layer pianos, e.g. the Nord's pretty good piano over a Rhodes and/or strings on the Kronos.

So in the end, I have given up on replacing the Kronos and accidentally stumbled on what feels like it could be my ultimate rig ever. The Kronos still kicks the NS3's ass on most things, but the combination has opened up new possibilities.

Two quick button presses on the Nord connects or disconnects the MIDI connection and doing that has become second-nature. I am able to plug the sustain pedal into the Nord and have it pass through to the Kronos, whether or not notes are passed as well.

I've been in the game for 55 years, and now for the first time ever I feel like I've got it all covered and am not lusting after any new gear. At least as long as my back holds out.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
I also layer pianos, e.g. the Nord's pretty good piano over a Rhodes and/or strings on the Kronos.

So in the end, I have given up on replacing the Kronos and accidentally stumbled on what feels like it could be my ultimate rig ever. The Kronos still kicks the NS3's ass on most things, but the combination has opened up new possibilities.

That sounds like a great pairing. Korg strings I've always felt have a quality, fullness and realism unmatched by other manufacturers (which can sound too synthy). I'm sure they complement the Nord pianos quite well. You picked the best of the best IMO. And no computer, tablet, or other gizmos required for your setup - that's a plus!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: