Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue importing midifile with markers to Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samusic76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Problem SOLVED Reply with quote

After exporting the mid-life in logic I had Just to merge all the tracks in one, and that works....
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem SOLVED Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:
After exporting the mid-life in logic I had Just to merge all the tracks in one, and that works....

Great!

Standard MIDI Files come in two basic varieties: a Type 1 file, and a Type 0 file In a Type 1 file individual parts are saved on different tracks within the sequence. In a Type 0 file everything is merged onto a single track. As you have found, KORG wants to see a Type 0 MIDI for import to style.

Page 29 of the PA3X Advanced Edit Manual ...

"Warning: Pa3X can only handle SMF format 0 (Zero). If you are in trouble importing your file, maybe your sequencer (or DAW) is exporting using a different format. Please refer to the software’s user’s manual."

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was exactly what the problem was! People kept saying they couldn't import midi file with markers even though they exported the file in Logic as type 0.

Samusic76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All they have to do is merge all the tracks before exporting it Smile

If you don't do that, no matter if you export it in Format 0, the Korg won't import it.

Just merging the tracks, everything works!!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:

If you don't do that, no matter if you export it in Format 0, the Korg won't import it.

Really? How interesting. I've never heard this before. I wonder if that's a bug or something, because it shouldn't be that way. Glad you found the workaround though.

barry murphy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I've tried avril studio(free) and it has the option of exporting midi0 in the menu. You can add markers simply. the korg reads it very well.
Baz
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:

That is exactly what File Type 0 specifies ... "Merge all tracks to one" If your DAW is not doing that when you export a Type 0 Midi then it's broke. Wink

By the way, there is a reason to limit use to Type 0 MIDI files on our Korgs, Type 0 files parse and stream much faster than Type 1 files. All the note and control data is time ordered in a Type 0 files.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:
If anyone is interested, I've tried avril studio(free) and it has the option of exporting midi0 in the menu. You can add markers simply. the korg reads it very well.
Baz

Good to know! Thanks for the info Baz.

Edit: I think you mean ANVIL Studio free???

Johann Sebastian Bach

barry murphy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I did it again. Mind is going along with other important things.
Anvil it is!
baz
catoelios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem SOLVED Reply with quote

Samusic76 wrote:

Hi,
could you please write me step by step how to merge all the tracks in Logic and then how could i export as midi file the style that i'm trying to create (The Unforgiven by Metallica).

Thanks
Cato
orasikh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would appreciate if someone can help and send me logic pro template with markers ready to be used to create style for pa 4x

thanks
unjazz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orasikh wrote:
i would appreciate if someone can help and send me logic pro template with markers ready to be used to create style for pa 4x

thanks

Did you ever solve this? I'm trying to create my own styles from Logic too, but the Korg is rejecting my midi file. It might be because of the midi file that Logic is creating, or perhaps the tracks aren't merged - so an example logic project would be great.

I did see in a youtube video that you have to click [x] initialize to properly import a midi file with markers, and that you have to hold SHIFT on the korg when pressing execute (within the style editor / menu / import). Both of these tricks I haven't found mentioned in the PA700 manual, but I could have missed them.

Update: Just managed to import my first style into the Korg from Logic - it was a midi 0 format issue! On Mac I used Midikit https://www.mixagesoftware.com/ to convert the exported midi file (from Logic via File / Export / All midi tracks as Midi file) into a type 0 midi file. Then the Korg accepted it. As for a Logic template what I did was play play a style on the Korg and record it in the sequencer and save it - take that midi file into Logic and delete the first 8 tracks, leaving the 8 accompaniment tracks. Change notes etc. Add the markers e.g. "v1cv1" wherever using the Logic marker feature.

For a logic
ewart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:
Baz

Hello Barry, I have a PA300 & have downloaded Anvil Studio. I would like to import midi files as styles. I'm looking for a tutorial that will show me how to add markers for the different variations. Any help (via video/text) would be appreciated.
Thanks & Best Regards
Ewart
Veren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Korg whilst they seem to be doing nothing (lack of response to various threads in this forum etc) they should give all PA arrangers below 4X that ability to read styles directly from media rather that the set folder option they had until 4X.

I dont see this as anything huge to rectify but will be extremely huge for the user base and will re instill belief that Korg does care about its customers.

Highly unlikely but worth asking...thats if they care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: