Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 50 Most Wanted Enhancements for Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wocongming

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: as far as the piano sounds Reply with quote

IMO they suck. they first need to be sampled in a way where certain notes arent way louder than the others...like the G above middle C for instance.
also some bass notes are way thinner and tinnier than the rest. aweful sampling on them.
randwing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Kronos replacement ideas. Reply with quote

I suspect, and I am hoping, that Korg are working on a new flagship workstation over and above the Nautilus, built on new core hardware/firmware. Something that could run all of Korg's excellent Legacy Collection V3, with the addition of Z1, and a return of the wind and brass physical modelling as a core EXi would be great, and with aftertouch please.

I don't agree with some of the decisions Korg have made in recent years (aftertouch), but I am still a big fan of their synths. The Wavestate SE looks promising, and has aftertouch!

My v1 Kronos is still a great machine, IMHO, and I disagree with some of the negative comments on here.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibility while we scroll through the drum patterns to hear the song we are working on

☀️♫

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
average_male

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been active for almost two years. Would be great if the OP could consolidate the features and start a poll to see what features are most requested.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the companies Korg seems like the one that listens to their customers the least these days.

Akai does, Roland does, Dave Smith does, Moog does... I could go on... but with Korg it's like they don't even acknowledge that they make this keyboard.

A Lot of good suggestions brought up in this thread I've been reading through it for years but it's not like Korg ever wants to interact with their customer base. This Keyboard could have been 1000% improved if they just worked/listened to the everyday musician or bedroom warrior in what they need out the keyboard instead of giving this thing to people with Grammy awards and taking advice from them or letting their engineers hoard it in the lab without going outside to test their ideas in the real world.

Some of the features on this keyboard you would never figure out without deep diving into the manual and that needs to change (Also har har to them building a help manual into the keyboard like they already knew it was too complicated to understand).

I don't know why Korg has always been so afraid to interact with their Kronos owners. Seems they mostly abandoned it to consumers helping other consumers. If Korg did release a new flagship I'd be wary to purchase one because I'd be afraid of them giving it such a lapse in support like with the Kronos. I won't lie if it wasn't for this website and the good people here I'd have sold this keyboard years ago.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Out of all the companies Korg seems like the one that listens to their customers the least these days.

Akai does, Roland does, Dave Smith does, Moog does... I could go on... but with Korg it's like they don't even acknowledge that they make this keyboard.

A Lot of good suggestions brought up in this thread I've been reading through it for years but it's not like Korg ever wants to interact with their customer base. This Keyboard could have been 1000% improved if they just worked/listened to the everyday musician or bedroom warrior in what they need out the keyboard instead of giving this thing to people with Grammy awards and taking advice from them or letting their engineers hoard it in the lab without going outside to test their ideas in the real world.

Some of the features on this keyboard you would never figure out without deep diving into the manual and that needs to change (Also har har to them building a help manual into the keyboard like they already knew it was too complicated to understand).

I don't know why Korg has always been so afraid to interact with their Kronos owners. Seems they mostly abandoned it to consumers helping other consumers. If Korg did release a new flagship I'd be wary to purchase one because I'd be afraid of them giving it such a lapse in support like with the Kronos. I won't lie if it wasn't for this website and the good people here I'd have sold this keyboard years ago.

Not sure it’s fair to blame a company because you have to read the manual in order to figure out how to read certain features…..

And the crazy part is that most of the stuff that the good people here or this website may have offered as far as insight, came from someone having to sit down and figure out…. Or……. Idea Idea read the manual. Shocked

They even have a manual per mode built into the keyboard.

And with people complaining about it being complex…. Imagine if they added every suggestion that every person wanted or even a super small percentage of them…. Stuff gets even more complicated and they have to add modifications, or addendums to that manual that folks already won’t read……
Stuff gets worse and worse.

Make sense?

It’s a sad day when people make complexity out to be a bad thing….
And simple things seem even worse. Because it’s too basic. 🙃

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:

Not sure it’s fair to blame a company because you have to read the manual in order to figure out how to read certain features…..

And the crazy part is that most of the stuff that the good people here or this website may have offered as far as insight, came from someone having to sit down and figure out…. Or……. Idea Idea read the manual. Shocked

And with people complaining about it being complex…. Imagine if they added every suggestion that every person wanted or even a super small percentage of them…. Stuff gets even more complicated and they have to add modifications, or addendums to that manual that folks already won’t read……

Make sense?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
DaveMusic8888

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Enable easier after touch on RH3 88-note keyboards Reply with quote

Enable easier after touch on RH3 88-note keyboards.
No AT Curve or AT Calibration settings enable actual usable AT from the keyboard. It works but you have to press way too hard.
You can use JS +Y but have to remove your left hand.
You can use foot pedal, but that only triggers max modulation.

You'd think Korg could enable a software solution probably new Global AT Curve settings.
sosvos

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Top 50 Most Wanted Enhancements for Kronos Reply with quote

One of the most important ones:

Put into the Kronos all Korg soft synths available, not in VST format but in a Korg propietary new format for sharing in all Korg workstations, so the users who have workstations can buy other "engines" or "virtual synths" and have all that legacy synth sounds inside without connection a laptop for VSTs.
Davegraham193

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: My two cents Reply with quote

I've used the Kronos for less than a year, but I've done a lot with it.
I use it as the centerpiece of my show, using the sequencer for drums/bass, and anything else I'm not playing.
My initial critique was of sequencer memory, and finally conceded to those who suggested that event management was my key to more songs at a time in the sequencer. I removed the second bass track where they were, and eliminated any track that might have been muted. I now have 2 blocks of songs of around 36 each. It takes about a minute to load one, but then I have to switch the playlist too.
I agree that the UI would be better if it was like the iPad, but my idea was to somehow, instead of loading songs into RAM, from the hard drive... Have the playlist access the hard drive directly, and load one song, or patch/combi at a time - instantly.
Gwendal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own list Smile

- Being "to sell"...a lot of musicians are disapointed not even having the possibility to buy a Kronos 2 (yes Korg can't sell them anymore because of the Karma)
- Start way way faster. More than 2min for the Kronos or the Nautilus is really a pain in the ass.
- Having a WAY bigger screen. Don't be shy Smile The future of the workstations are for musicians who really dislike to use DAW, especially for writing down draft ideas. Same height but twice as large than the Kronos.
- Having a screen that can be inclined (like the KK mod or the Oasys)
- Having faders and knobs. Like in the Kronos, unlike the Nautilus. Don't be shy...more than the Kronos (something like 16 columns would be great)
- Having "endless" knobs with led light indicating their values. For faders having led lights indicating their values.
- Having little lcd labels under the knobs and/or "user assignable" buttons to indicate what they do under the context. Unlike the Nautilus with its "remember what it does" user buttons. And with the possibility of having a super sequencer, super emulation of analog synths, ...
- Having a touch screen, but with multi-touch possibility
- Having an OS made more user friendly, like in the Nautilus, but with the possibility to have advanced set up possibilties, like in the Oasys
- Having a user friendly arpegiator, like in the Nautilus
- Having all M1/T1/W01/X3/Triton/Oasys/Kronos/Nautilus programs/combi sounds and their respective sound motors.
- Having the connections in the front (microphones, line entries, usb, headphone, ...) or on top (line out, MIDI in/out/thru, USB,..) and not in the back.
- Having the power plug, the damper, the switch and expression pedal not in the back, but under the workstation.
- Having a way bigger SDD; and the possibility to install an internal one or to have a dedicated usb 3 plug on the top of the board (yep not on the back).
- Having a wifi connectivity; thus having the possibility to be seen/used from a pc, and to get potential updates without having to plug the workstation to a computer.

A lot of musicians complained about the aftertouch missing in the Nautilus.
But...even more affirm they don't use it, and prefer to use a joystick/ribbon/expression pedal instead.
So, not in the list Smile
petr14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like controls like intro, variation 1 to 4, fill 1 to 4 and ending for the drum line.
Yamaha DX Reface, Casio CT-S1
Gwendal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="petr14"]I would like controls like intro, variation 1 to 4, fill 1 to 4 and ending for the drum line.[/quote]

[Answer if it is a serious remark]
Are you sure a workstation fits your needs?
Maybe an arranger like the PA5x is what your are looking for.

For me (and Korg) the goal of a workstation is to help a musician to create music, and record advanced "drafts" with the audio/midi sequencer.

An arranger is made to play covers live.

Of course you will find musicians like Jordan Rudess who used a Kronos live, and the PA5x has a (midi only?) sequencer and nothing stops you using it to compose your own music.

Drum variations "1 to 4" already exist in the Nautilus arpegiator as "scenes". But it is not meant to be used as an arranger, but as drums linked to a combinaison, not to a performance/song. You can create a set of combinaisons in a set list for a performance/song. And set some of the drums in their combinaisons scene as "one shot" instead of "loop"...
The advantage is you can create song structure as complex as you want.
The drawbacks are you need to have a switch pedal (to change combinaison within the set list) and you probably need to copy the same combinaison twice or more "just" for the drums. So the ergonomy won't be efficient if your goal is to play covers.

No requierement of "intro/ending/fills/variations" buttons were asked by pro musicians since the M1/T1, and by extension not asked too to other brands for their respective workstations.
Intro/variations/fills/ending buttons exist on the PA5x. And it exists already since the PA1X and more or less any arranger of any brand.

[Answer if it is a trolling "workstation vs arranger" remark]
Oh boy oh boy oh boy Laughing
There is already a war of the workstations afficionados against Korg because of the poor Nautilus and the lack of a real successor of the Kronos...are you a Korg employee who try to light up a diversion fire and make forget how deceiving the Nautilus is? (yes I can troll too) Razz
BlackForest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petr14 wrote:
I would like controls like intro, variation 1 to 4, fill 1 to 4 and ending for the drum line.

You can do this with an iPad and an app called Midi Designer. You can program and send cc and sysex data to change drum patterns!

as an example: https://youtu.be/3m2qp3Jia4U

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:

Make sense?

There was a time when a comment like this might of had annoyed me and I may of had something more colorful to say but these days I just don't care to engage that much people who miss the point.

It's common to assume that if there is a bad student it's the students fault for not studying better rather than the teachers fault for not teaching better.

There absolutely are such things as "bad teachers". In this case Korg's manual is the bad teacher. It doesn't matter how wonderful a device is if you can't translate to where the end user understands how to operate the device that you're selling. The best instruments are ones that balance capability with understanding on how to utilize those capabilities. That Korg Manual and the combined Parameter Guide is over 1,200 pages long. By the time you finish reading and mastering every subject in that manual you could of earned a Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering and built your own Korg Kronos from scratch.

The complexity of the Kronos is mainly due to it being a keyboard using outdated programming. So you end up having to manually engage processes that on better designed equipment is already automated. It's like comparing 1980's computers that relied on DOS prompts to a computer that uses Windows 11 and poking fun at people who would rather not go through the hassle of DOS prompts to boot drives and load programs.

The 80's and the 90's are over. People have no reason to sit down frying their brains trying to get a piece of equipment to do what another piece of gear or software can do faster and more efficiently. This is why DAW's and VST's have dominated. They provide efficiency in music production and efficiency saves both time and money. So while you're tinkering through your 1,200 page manual or reading those giant paragraphs on that tiny Kronos screen after pressing your special "Help" button someone else is already wrapping up their recording session and heading out for the day before you even get a chance to begin.

So yes people do indeed have every right to blame a manufacturer for not spending the appropriate time to streamline their product and make it more "user friendly" and appealing (what do you think the Nautilus is?). While you joke and jab at people understand that the Kronos has gone the way of the dinosaur because of that when other products that were simpler and easier to use and understand are still being sold.

The Kronos had a reputation for being more difficult than it needed to be along with it's price to performance was a turn off. More people use Native Instruments over a Kronos for music production for a reason. You don't find Kronos's getting used in professional music studios like you did the Triton. The Triton had a long favorable reign even in an era of VST's because it was easy to operate and understand.

People see the Kronos as an outdated keyboard that's too hard to learn and therefore it's not worth the time, money or effort because they can accomplish what it can do for cheaper and more efficiently with a VST that they can pick up at 5:00pm and start music with at 5:01pm.

Those DX7 "I don't know how to program this so lets just stick with the factory presets" days are over my friend. Every single company from Roland,to Akai, to Arturia to Nord, to Moog, to Dave Smith Instruments has woke up and started listening to their customers and delivering what they asked for...good understandable equipment that's beneficial to their music production.

So to just tell everyone here to just "read the manual" and all their problems will be solved doesn't make much sense when we run into glitches, programming issues, lag, data loss,incompatibility and the things Korg could have fixed or updated but instead just flat out ignored.

I waste my time writing all that not just for you but the few others who probably sit in that same sinking boat of logic of "blame the consumer for the manufacturer's failures".

For me personally I think the Kronos is going to be my last Korg Workstation. IF they did release a new workstation I would be reluctant to purchase it knowing how little support they gave to the Kronos over it's product life cycle. I would be hesitant to be stuck with a product that I know would have issues that would be ignored and never updated (Korg is almost as bad as Pioneer DJ but Pioneer engages and tries so that's a point above Korg for them). Korg just flat out ignores everyone that spent $3-4K on their outdated keyboards and I'm going to remember that.

I'm going to remember these threads and and the headache reading them gave me as well as all the headaches that my Kronos gave me trying to comprehend it during the learning process. Especially when you realize not everything is in the manual.

Spending 4 - 5 years learning a single keyboard is not a sound investment when it's so easily surpassed by a free software download and a kid spending 15 minutes watching youtube tutorials to learn it. That's where we are at right now with music production. So if you argue about complexity and people not reading 1,000 page manuals be my guest. My days of wasting time arguing about the fundamentals on that stuff are over. I'm about getting my thoughts and ideas recorded down without missing a beat and whichever piece of equipment or software does that best is the one I'm going with. I want to have fun I don't need a research project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: