Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installation woes (K61p)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeanneMarie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: installation woes (K61p) Reply with quote

I'm trying and trying to install a K61P keyboard to a Win 8.1 machine OR an old Macbook Air (El Capitan, ver. 10.11.6). No luck. I know for sure that I did install this on a Windows XP machine many years ago.

I'll be grateful for any help. I'm pretty ignorant of this field and Korg's product lines, so even searching and reading this forum is a challenge. I've tried writing to unsupportedsoftwarebugreport@korg.co.jp, mentioned in the documentation. No answer after more than 2 weeks.

I'm only spending way too much time on this because I'd like to give it away but would like to know what I'm offering and give any guidance I can.

K61P works fine with DC power and headphones. When I plug in any USB cord to any port (USB 2.0 or 3.0), it lights up. Both machines say that Korg's "Driver Tools" was successfully installed.

But then, trying each of two shortcuts ("configure driver setup utility" OR "install USB MIDI device") invariably gets me a message that the device is unrecognized or that there is no device. The shortcut for "configure driver" (Win) does show me a dialog suggesting it is installed, but the K-series editing software AND Finale Notepad say there is no device.

I've been trying this with the software on Korg's web site; I went backward and tried the slightly older driver on the website; then I went back to the disk and installed the drivetools dated Dec. 2005.

I've learned about Windows features I never use (compatibility mode, run as administrator) or even knew about. Just yesterday, I discovered Device Manager > Action > Add Legacy Hardware, and I tried several routes through this function. Only using this function, I got the message DRIVER NOT DIGITALLY SIGNED. (For the record, I could only use this function using the ancient disk, dated 2005.)

Can anyone suggest how I can make this device work with Win 8.1? This computer has no MIDI port but I do have a MIDI-to-USB converter which got me nowhere. Is there a generic Microsoft driver (MIDI or USB?) I should know about? This would be frustrating in any case, but it is especially maddening that this device did communicate with Win XP in the past.

Many many thanks,
Jeanne
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that you're up against the 10 USB MIDI devices maximum limit? Try using the Korg: Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device utility, and removing unwanted drivers, then plugging the K61P back in. The driver should install automatically.
JeanneMarie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Could it be that you're up against the 10 USB MIDI devices maximum limit? .

Thanks for your suggestion, VOIP. There's no other MIDI or MIDI-USB on this computer. It's conceivable that I've installed (or tried to install) this Korg 10x but since this has been impossible from the first, and there's no trace in Device Manager, I won't go uninstall Korg just yet. Maybe some time tomorrow if there are no other suggestions.

But I really do appreciate your trying.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device Manager is not really the best place to look, since unconnected devices are not shown. Try using the utility called "Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device" found in the Start menu KORG subfolder, that gets installed with the Korg MIDI drivers. This shows a list of historically installed MIDI drivers. Each USB port that is used by a USB MIDI device creates a new MIDI driver entry, so the maximum of 10 can quite quickly be reached.
JeanneMarie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Device Manager is not really the best place to look, since unconnected devices are not shown. Try using the utility called "Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device" found in the Start menu KORG subfolder, that gets installed with the Korg MIDI drivers. This shows a list of historically installed MIDI drivers. Each USB port that is used by a USB MIDI device creates a new MIDI driver entry, so the maximum of 10 can quite quickly be reached..

Well, thanks for that. It was interesting. And I seemed to be getting close for a while. Here's where I stand:

The Korg Uninstall utility listed the device and offered to uninstall it. But when I tried to proceed, it asked me to unplug what wasn't plugged in. Endless loop. Net-net, I could not uninstall. Tried a second time, no good.

So I went back to Device Manager and studied every entry. Most were recognizable and I found Korg K61P under sound-video-game-controllers with "device cannot start" in the properties dialog. I uninstalled that via Device Manager.

Then I went back to the Korg Uninstall utility. Now there was no Korg but there were two more available (not greyed out): MIDI 6 and MIDI 7 said "corrupted USB audio device" and I selected them and uninstalled.

I plugged in the Korg and it lit up. I also got a message to install the Korg driver. Setup started and took forever (which I'm pretty sure is a Windows problem). Device Manager said Korg was installed and everything was a-ok (again in the sound-video-game-controllers category). The driver version was correct too. (So I guess Windows stored the driver from an earlier installation?)

But it still didn't seem to work. So I tried a cold boot.

I can now select the device as MIDI-in for K-Series Editor, Finale Notepad (old), Finale (ancient), and MIDI Editor (new). But no notation or sound. The K-Series Editor tells me there is no K-Series whether I click RECEIVE or TRANSMIT. The others just stare back at me. In all cases, if I experiment by making the Korg the OUTPUT device, I get a lot of hanging.

I'm open to any further ideas, any other way to test. There is only one installation now (to the best of my knowledge). But at some point, I'll just have to give this up. It has really cost me.

Really, very sincere thanks for getting this far,
Jeanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: