Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB midi on PC - confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pplastic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: USB midi on PC - confusion Reply with quote

Firstly, I have read pretty much every thread and online advice/resource I can find to solve my issue and am only here as a last resort. I know people have had so many issues with USB midi but i just cant fathom way mine doesn't work.

So, my setup is, Wavestate on the latest 2.1 firmware, Windows 11 laptop with updated firmware /drivers and win update etc

I updated using RNDIS and then the midi seems to be set on NVM

I' started only using my Wavestate with my MPC on USB midi and it was working fine - although the Wavestate like to identify its as USB Device 000 A 000 (or something ambiguous)

Then I tried downloading and using the librarian/editor, - this connects and seems to work fine.

But opening any DAW and there is no midi - hmmmmm?

After some research i saw this may be a Korg midi issue so using the midi drivers checked and freed up midi ports. The Wavetstate then seemed to hook onto midi port 6 (Still as weird generic number identifier)... but still midi didn't work. I removed it again and it populated again, but still no midi.

So i finally checked device manager to see what is happening. When plugged in, the PC identifies the device as a 'USB audio device' but it has a yellow exclamation a with an 'error code 10'. I have tried updating drivers (its says they are up to date), removing it, it comes back the same.

So I'm really just at a loss and wonder whether anyone can help.

I have also tried:

Different USB cables - no change
Another Window 10 PC - same USB device error 10
Switching to RNIDS - editor stops working
Updating the firmware again - no change

I really don't want to have to use midi DIN as I will need to get a midi soundcard, but I think I have tried every fix/solution on the entire internet and am really so sad as I love my Wavestate so much.

What confuses me is its still identifying itself generically whereas removing it should make it appear as 'Wavestate'. Also should I be using NVM or RNIDS?

Any help is hugely appreciated, and sorry for the long post.
1ABanane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought the Wavestation a couple of days ago with version 1.0.4 installed and the driver worked in Ableton Live.

Then I successfully updated the firmware to 2.1.0B and it's not working any more with a warning sign next to the "USB Audio Device".

I also tried several google help results with no success.

I also tried to back install 1.0.6 -> Midi (sync) works again. No warning signs.
Then I installed 2.1.0 (not B) with the same negative result.

I also wrote to the support.

Edit: I have Windows 11

Hope this can be fixed Neutral
1ABanane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before connect:

After connect:

1ABanane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing helps: https://www.amazon.de/OTraki-Interface-Konverter-Controller-Instrument/dp/B07KYDP3GK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=midi%2Busb%2Binterface&qid=1650720981&sprefix=midi%2Busb%2Bint%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNjFIV05JN0JXWUpXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTMyMjM2UEpBRUozSDhaMTFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwODAxODkxRUNOQjdCNFFUOTJHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
musicmitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this resolution as well. I have the exact same problem. Ableton does not recognize the wavestate... I remember having problems with my minilogue XD where it would crash my system so I sold it... now I've got this lovely wavestate and feel the same is about to happen. Why does KORG not have their stuff together when it comes to windows users??? Why does KORG hate us??
pplastic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@1ABanane

What you describe and show is exactly the issue I am getting.

As the editor it is connecting this must be just a network connection. If I play the keyboard when in the editor, it doesn't registered the note played on the display (highlighting the key) which I am guessing would happen normally?

I thought it might be windows 11, but i tested on a win 10 machine and it does the same thing. It works on my Akai MPC One ok though, so not sure if this highlights it is an issue with windows and the handshake, rather than a midi issue..?
SleepIsWrong

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Sounds like exactly the trouble I'm having. I purchased a used Wavestate that had 1.0.3 firmware loaded. I connected it via USB to my computer, using MIDI-OX and it worked fine - saw note events, cc events, etc. After a bit of searching I found firmware 1.0.6 and began the Korg hazing process of loading 1.0.6 a couple times, following the usual instructions regarding the various USB communication protocols (with much cursing and sacrifice of a chicken or two for good measure) I had 1.0.6 installed.

I wish I had tested then to see if the Wavestate would still communicate via USB MIDI but went straight to loading 2.1B. In its current "state" the synth will communicate with the computer - I can use the librarian which seems to communicate just fine. When I plug the Wavestate into my computer I get no errors - and the "Sound Video and Game Controllers" sees it as "Korg MIDI Device". Despite that my computer (and two others as well as with two "known good" USB cables) the synth does not show up in MIDI-OX nor does it show up in the available MIDI controllers dialog in Gig Performer, my VST host.

One other test I tried was to get MIDI data from the DIN connector and that worked just fine.

Mike
SleepIsWrong

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responding to my own post, above; I was able to get everything to work by rolling back to version 2.0.1, making sure the Wavestate was set to NCM, updating the Windows NCM network driver, then re-loading firmware 2.1B and it all works as it should. Under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" in the device manager the instrument shows as "Wavestate 1".

One other (perhaps significant?) thing that had happened is that I was so blown away by the Wavestate that I decided to grab a Modwave when a used one came up for sale on Craigslist. When I plugged that in it immediately showed as "USB MIDI" in the device manager. Whether that helped or not I really can't say.

So all is good here and I'm off to make some noises.

Mike
kevinh_12345us

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You - I spent many hours deleting midi drivers etc. You described the problem perfectly. Your solution worked!
pplastic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Yes! Reply with quote

Wow, I am late coming back to check the replies to my post and cant believe someone found a fix. This works!

I reverted to 2.01, and it already appeared as Wavestate 1, then back up to 2.10 and al still working.

@SleepIsWrong - Thankyou a million times
Wink
teasltonerick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Still trouble... Reply with quote

I am running Win 10, 21H2 and after reverting to firmware 2.01 wavestate1 shows up fine with NCM set and UsbNcm adapter running. However when attempting to run the 2.10 updater it sits in the "waiting for device" state forever as if it cannot see the wavestate1 device. So I am unable to proceed to update to 2.10!!!

Any ideas?
pplastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tealstonerick,

Not really sure how to help there. I guess maybe, witch off ad on and try again? Are you going to 2.10 or 2.10B?

I think there are other posts about this type of freezing.
teasltonerick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 2.10B, the latest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: