Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding Vector Envelope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepIsWrong

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Question regarding Vector Envelope Reply with quote

I've spent a few minutes trying to reconcile what I see using the Wavestate with what I read in the User Manual. Specifically, on page 31 there are images of the keyboard's display showing a page named "A: Vector Env Volume" and "D:Vector Env X-Y". But I only see "Vector Env Volume" or "Vector Env X-Y" on the Wavestate's display - that is, no layer specific versions. I'm guessing the manual is in error? If not how do I get to those pages? From my limited understanding of how the Vector control works I don't see the need for layer-specific versions?

One week into using this synth and loving it! Enough, in fact, to snag a used Modwave yesterday.

Mike
paipa

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layer letters were removed in an update, because, as you correctly noticed, vector env parameters are global, and apply to all voices of all layers. I was also confused by this in the docs.

I initially also didn't understand how Vector Env A/B/C/D is a per-voice source, but a performance-level version of it also exists under the same name: indeed it's the vector env of the oldest held note (NOT sounding voice!), and even if it runs all the way to completion of the vector env's release stage, it won't retrigger unless you let go of the old note and press another one.

The other thing I found misleading is that I expected Vector Env A/B/C/D to be the same envelope that volumes are modulated by, i.e. a unipolar signal which can go from 0 to 100% based on its position with respect to the corresponding corner and they should be 25% in the midpoint. Whereas in reality they are mere aliases of X and Y (A=-X, B=Y, C=X, D=-Y), which are bipolar signals that are zero in the middle. If they had just called them vector env X and Y, I would've never made these strange assumptions, and they would've been exactly as functional and non-redundant. After all, anything you can do with Vector env A you can do with C, just with a negative mod intensity.
Luandir

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related question on the Vector Envelope:

Every Program I've looked into has all the VE Volume parameters set to 25. Has anyone found a Program that actually uses this envelope? (Like I really need another set of params to worry about. This beast mixes up sounds quite well without the VE.)

SleepIsWrong: Like you, I love this enough that I grabbed one of the last Modwaves to be had. Trying to learn both at once is a challenge, but fortunately the similarities are a big help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: