Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOISE PROBLEM when recording audio in KORG KROSS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KorgUserPlayer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: NOISE PROBLEM when recording audio in KORG KROSS Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've got my old Korg KROSS 61 workstation (here is the image:
[img]https://freeimage.host/i/W8umNe[/img]) and when I was trying to record acoustic guitar or vocal takes I faced with the most terrible problem such as BACKGROUND NOISE.
Actually, it appears immidiately after I turn on the AUDIO IN button on the workstation even if the MIC is not connected.

Using any combinations of the FX plugings such as TUBE PreAMP Modeling, StereoTubePreAMP or MICModel+PreAMP with choosing from various types of mics and positions did not have any serious effect or only a minor one having made the level of noise a little quieter!!!

Adjusting the MIC's GAIN level also did not lead to good results.

The NOISE is really loud and ruins the whole recorded sound!

Is there any additional plug-in for the KROSS workstation or may be any extra FX or something?

I know that Korg NAUTILUS has this FX which is called Stereo Noise Reduction Here is the link https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1942309/Korg-Nautilus-Series.html?page=783

I'm totally depressed right now... I don't even know how I can record anything with such a loud noise level. It's just insane.

If anyone knows how to FIX this such an important problem, please share your ideas. I will be very grateful to you all...

Thanks in advance
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the offending noise sound like? Is it a loud hiss, or a buzz, or a constant hum? Does it vary in amplitude, over time, or is there some sort of repetition or modulation, regular, or random, to the noise?

Does it happen with all Programs and Combis, or just some of them?

If there is any other equipment connected, e.g. mixer or active speakers, or a MIDI or audio interface, or a USB connection try disconnecting them all and listening using headphones. Is the noise still there? Move any cellphones, and WiFi routers well away from the Kross.

The Operations Guide troubleshootnig section suggests going to the Audio In - Quick Setting, and looking at the Line or Mic indication in the middle of the level meter. If it is highlighted, then the gain setting is too high. If the noise is still present after checking the above, then there is a chance that the Audio In pre-amplifier section has a noise issue, which might be the amplifiers themselves, or the noise can also arise from unstable power supplies. If the noise is persistent after all of these checks have been done, it's worth taking the Kross to a keyboard tech to have a look at it.

KorgUserPlayer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of my examples here ---https://gofile.io/d/WlPyLf --- of what I recorded a while ago, although this little piece is quite enough to make sure that the guitar sound is completely spoilt by background noise.

1. Does anyone know how to exclude or reduce that noise?

2. Do I need to buy any external equipment to help the noise being

3. Is it possible to ask the KORG software engineers to write a noise reduction FX for the KROSS or adapt the FX taken it from any other KORG Workstation such as the Korg NAUTILUS?

In fact, when I'm using monitors instead of headphones they also add some other type of noise that sounds more harsh like those of the electric bulbs.

I would be grateful for any help
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the recording of the example made?

I can only hear, at the beginning of the example piece, a little bit of low frequency hum and some guitar sounding board noise, but nothing that would completely spoil the recording. Is the offending noise still present during the "quiet" period at the end of the example recording?
KorgUserPlayer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recording was made by using a dynamic mic placed at a very close position.

If I'm trying to record a take using strumming chords and positioning the mic a little futher from the guitar's roset, I should increase the GAIN level that also leads to the increasing noise level. So, this causes even more high presence of noise level in the recorded audio and the ratio between the RAW signal and the HUM is getting closer.

The ending of the example (that is a cut version of the original one) was manually extended in the DAW by adding one bar, so it has no any noise presence at the end. Although, the original piece does have the same noise both at the beginning and at the end.

What I need is to remove the noise completely, so that after recording I can put the take into the mix and work with it carelessly.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output of a dynamic microphone is quite low, so relatively high gain is required on the input of any audio devices it is connected to. Dynamic mics are quite susceptible to picking up mains hum, so thought needs to be given to the environment they are being used in. It might be worth spending some time with the the audio gain turned up, and trying the microphone and it's screened lead in different positions, keeping both lead and microphone as far away as possible from mains leads, and transformers, electrical fans and the like, and turning off unnecessary electrical items, and suchlike. Also check earthing arrangements, and make sure the microphone ground contact is clean and good at both ends, the jack and the mic end.

Also, try moving the Kross around. It may be resting on, or close to, something that is inducing the hum into the Kross' circuitry.

Once the point has been reached where the noise has been minimised, if the noise level is still considered to be too high, a notch filter could be added to the effects chain, and tuned to minimise the noise. However, a notch filter will also influence the audio, to an extent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: