Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Formatted hard drive & want to recover .sng files.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Signer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Formatted hard drive & want to recover .sng files. Reply with quote

Hi all. Yip I accidentially formatted my 2nd hard drive that contained all my .sng song files. Don't ask me how.... I just did it...and before I get slated No I hadn't backnup any my songs. Got myself to blame.

Once I realised I done it, I removed the drive from the kronos so files can not be over written.

I've tried Photorec and other recovery software for Windows. I'm able to recover all previous data from the drive when the drive was used in my pc, but not the .sng files since it was installed and formatted in the Kronos and accidentially reformatted.

Can anyone help?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth bearing in mind that the Kronos runs on a flavour of Linux and the SSD reformat will create an ext2 or ext3 file system, not FAT32 or NTFS. Was the SSD formatted on the Kronos before use and, if so, was the second "accidental" reformat a full or quick format? If the former, then it's possible that useful amounts of data may be readable and recoverable, but if the latter, then the data will be lost for good, unfortunately.

To stand any chance of recovery, the SSD will need to be mountable and readable by the file recovery system, and the file recovery software will need to be able to cope with an ext2/ext3 file system. If attempting raw file recovery, based on header signatures, .SNG files will probably have a header structure that won't be recognised by file recovery software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: