Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OBX8 Kenobe, may the Force be with you!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:02 am    Post subject: OBX8 Kenobe, may the Force be with you!!! Reply with quote

Just noticed a disturbance within the Force, OBX8 Kenobe. This is going to be a great summer. OBX8 alongside a APR2600 and the Moog One, EPIC!!!

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/05/05/oberheim-ob-x8-synthesizer-goes-far-beyond-the-capabilities-of-its-iconic-predecessors/
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on the specs, it should sound absolutely amazing.
Big on price, but probably equally as big on sound. Talking about big, it actually looks like it’s a very big keyboard too.

Kind regards
Sharp.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treated myself to this demo OBXa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8XLhd5P3w

Some incredible sounds there if that is reproduced in the new OB-X8.

Much of it is due to early adopting voice panning, he demonstrate that rather well.

Voice panning is maybe among the most important enhancers in how harmonics are mixed in a beautyful way creating a rich sound without cancelling out most of it.

If there are surprise modern modulation options that we are acustomed to today, I am not a stranger to getting this. Some sounds with lots of highs had quite a bit of strain to my ears, and then there is the bliss of midi key modulation to slightly detune higher keys or similar. You can get firm steady bass while more modulation in upper key range.

I think Sequential Take 5 is such a smart move in modernizing a P5, just about.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Midi-chlorian in this one are off the charts. Reply with quote

Return Of the Synth

https://oberheim.com/

OBX8 Kenobi ... Studio's await you. May the Fedex be with you
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link to Oberheim.

I think it's thanks to Focusrite investment in buying into Sequential. You can notice is says Sequential/Oberheim on many places.

Forever greatful to what these gents Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim did 40 years ago that is remarkable that worth reissuing today.

What OB-X8 do right is 600 user presets which really make you dive in doing intermediate saves as much as needed to go in various directions exploring it. And a display to name them etc.

Maybe not enough new stuff for such an investment.

I am dialing on Polybrute and Steiner/Parker filter see how close I can get to some on OB-Xa video above and feel I am already in the ballpark. There is no end to what you can dial in with Polybrute. And many hidden gems in menu that alter what panel knobs/sliders do too.

I will dig into Prologue and make an attempt too, being 12 dB filter and all. Incredible sounding synth too. But have way more options to alter how upper keyboard range work in Polybrute, just three steps in Prologue.

If OB-X8 would have extended with what REV2 and Take5 of Sequential do for modulations there would be a must have, or close to.

But there is some hidden stuff in menu on OB-X8 too, so who knows what might turn up. I moved over the years from 'Korea' Gibsons to American for smaller improvements than this in sound.

We only live once as far as we know....I sympathize with J3PO in video above in how a sound really can reel you in....if a sound or a beat or something really inspire to some music that last it could be worth it....many people travel all over the world to get inspiration for new stuff, a synth is way cheaper...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out on youtube, the OB-X8 is shown at Superbooth which starts today.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBX8 Kenobi ... Superbooth Deep Dive ... WOW

Galaxy Studios and Bands Await ... May the FedEx be with you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KuKq-ECU9E

Another great sound set
https://soundcloud.com/oberheimelectronics/sets/ob-x8-audio-demos
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Behringer are trying get in on the action with their own OB8 video being pushed right now.

shefu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very nice but it looks so damn ugly. Why do these companies insist on releasing these vintage revives looking like ugly pieces of furniture?

Are these marketed just for nostalgia driven buyers?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are these marketed just for nostalgia driven buyers?

While its a great opportunity to buy a slice of history, even if there was some nostalgia in the decision, at the end of the day they do sound great. A good synth is a good synth.

While not my cup of tea, I can get why people will buy these. Me personally, I’ve only one analog, a Deepmind 12. Happy as can be with it.

Regards
Sharp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: