Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nautilus - custom velocity curves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz314

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Nautilus - custom velocity curves? Reply with quote

Hello - pardon me if this is a basic question, is it possible to generate a custom velocity curve (other than the preset curves) within the Nautilus itself? I primarily play piano and am using velocity curve 9 but find that lower velocity notes (e.g. pp) sometimes don't register as a 'note on' event and thus there is no sound. I have not been able to find the balance between good dynamic range and my playing style. Any advice is appreciated! Cool
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would approach it from the piano program itself. In the SGX-2 engine, you have two parameters that affect velocity response: VELOCITY BIAS and VELOCITY INTENSITY.

Also, with the Nautilus, you have the DYNAMICS knob which is an excellent way to adjust the velocity response curve globally or on a program-by-program basis. Changes you make to the DYNAMICS knob aren't saved to the program but they are saved to SET LIST slots.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Buzz314

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Earlier I indicated I am using velocity curve 9 (for piano) in global settings. As I eluded to earlier, I found this curve difficult to use because of so many missed notes when playing pp (I found the default curve #4 easier to play pp than curve 9). I come from an acoustic piano background so this new to me and I haven't yet found an acceptable setup in the SX-2 piano engine after trying playing with velocity bias and velocity intensity. Maybe I need to adapt my playing style to the Nautilus (e.g. play harder for pp to ensure that all notes are actually trigger a note on event)??? I am curious what other persons experiences have been along these lines. Thanks again!!
Very Happy
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buzz,
I'm trying out a Nautilus 88 and have the same issues with the velocity. I seem to be missing notes on the '9' setting so I'm going to try some different settings to see which works best.
Chris
Buzz314

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chelsea - curve 9 may work for some songs that don't have pp passages and have limited dynamic range. I am going back to curve 4 and play around with the dynamics control for those pieces requiring higher dynamic range. I don't think my technique is adequate to play curve 9 with pp passages on the Nautilus consistently although I don't have this problem with acoustic pianos.

Best of luck to you - if you solve this mystery please share with others so they don't waste their time.

Best Regards, Cool
Buzz314

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies - I got your name wrong Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: