Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise from headphones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaleCar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Noise from headphones Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a pa700 and noticed that the headphone output makes a low noise as soon as the keyboard turns on. It is not related to the volume, it is always constant. When connected to a computer, Audacity shows a constant noise of -40 decibels and same result when it is connected to Zoom H1n. The headphones I use are Audio Technica m50x and they are pretty quiet, actually silent. I had a Yamaha MODX before the pa700 and when I plug the headphones, it was like I was in a deaf room. Now, with pa700, I feel like I’m playing by an open window. Is this anomaly common to all pa700's or is this mine defective?

By the way, I'm very happy with the keyboard. The only drawbacks are this noise and low resolution screen, when I switch from the computer on which I have a 4k monitor, my eyes hurt when I sit down to play ;)

Thanks in advance
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disconnecting the Pa from the mains and running it on batteries if you can

Last edited by Biggles on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaleCar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What batteries? I didn't even know that the pa700 could run on batteries. Now I checked, this mine has no battery anywhere. Even the manual does not say that it can run on batteries. There is only a small battery for the clock, as computers have.

But I get the idea, the noise might be coming from the electricity. I tried the keyboard on several sockets in the apartment and the situation is the same. These are the same sockets where I played MODX before so I don't believe the problem is with them.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not have the feature of using an inbuilt battery, I was suggesting you connect up a DC power source to see if the noise is as a result of mains electricity issues.

You can readily buy a plug in mains filter adaptor that you can plug the Pa into.

I do not remember there being undue noise from my Pa 700 when I had one but I am an old guy who is partially deaf.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a problem with ground loop coming with bad wiring on house.
Because MODX didn't has before doesn't mean you not.
Maybe MODX has build in some filter eliminate noise, but Korg not.
Best and only solution for this is invest for UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
Most musicians have UPS, not only because of noise, but also give you protection, steady voltage and battery for backup.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Desktop-Ultra-Compact-INTERNET750U/dp/B000FN8G0S/ref=sr_1_50

P.S. Make sure UPS has noise protection prevents
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
SaleCar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um ... so far I haven't had any problems with electricity in the apartment and I have a bunch of audio equipment. The sound is like white noise, more like a cheap Chinese preamp than electricity.

Last edited by SaleCar on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaleCar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recording (WAV)

I recorded via the Zoom H1n recorder directly in the headphone output.
Master volume and balance are in half.

At begining, total silence while starting the operating system
Noise is heard from the 30th second
Then I played a little to hear the difference
On 59th second, I turned it off and there was silence again

You can hear or download the wav file from the following link:
[url]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhMmuIyzqnNsjdJK4h08-dvQePOucQ?e=gqGgIX[/url]
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely not ground loop noise.
Is this coming from the speakers too?
Try to check Audio input setup, maybe you got to much gain set on Mic input (on the back of keyboard) or in Global/ Mic Setup EQ is on and to much High set.
If you don't use Audio input, set to Line and all gain values to minimum.

If this won't help, you may wanna check with Korg technician for possible malfunction audio output part.
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaleCar wrote:
What batteries? I didn't even know that the pa700 could run on batteries. Now I checked, this mine has no battery anywhere. Even the manual does not say that it can run on batteries. There is only a small battery for the clock, as computers have.

But I get the idea, the noise might be coming from the electricity. I tried the keyboard on several sockets in the apartment and the situation is the same. These are the same sockets where I played MODX before so I don't believe the problem is with them.

The Korg PA700 does NOT run on batteries. There is a CR2032 battery installed in the back (right above the MicroSD Card slot) for the clock. Both are behind a small flap that you need to unscrew to gain access.

I have never experienced a headphone issue with my PA700, nor have I experienced any white noise or any other noise through the main outputs OR headphone output, unless I introduced the noise myself.

Considering that you have determined that it is NOT a power issue, I will say that some gear is more sensitive to power issues than others.

You may have the input settings set to Mic or Guitar and the input gain is too high. That might cause the problem you are having. Switch the Input from Mic/Guitar to Line and see if it goes away. If it does, then turn the input gain knob on the back of the unit down and switch it back to Mic or Guitar. If you have any effects set up on the Mic or Guitar input, try turning them off and see if that helps too.

If you do these things and the noise is still present, then I would suggest returning it for another unit, as the one you have may be faulty. Unfortunately, that does happen every now and then.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
SaleCar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that this noise is constant and unrelated to anything. I tried the volume, balance, preamp gain, switched line / mic / guitar, turned off the master effects, factory reset, and it has nothing to do with anything. And yes, you can hear it on the speakers, I just didn't pay attention. When I put my ear on the speaker, a noise is heard. There is an option in the settings to turn off the speakers, when I turn them off, the noise disappears, when I turn them on, noise is back. Looks like I'm going to have to visit an authorized service center.

Thank you all for your effort.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaleCar wrote:
It is interesting that this noise is constant and unrelated to anything. I tried the volume, balance, preamp gain, switched line / mic / guitar, turned off the master effects, factory reset, and it has nothing to do with anything. And yes, you can hear it on the speakers, I just didn't pay attention. When I put my ear on the speaker, a noise is heard. There is an option in the settings to turn off the speakers, when I turn them off, the noise disappears, when I turn them on, noise is back. Looks like I'm going to have to visit an authorized service center.

Thank you all for your effort.

I fear that you may be correct. I service center visit seems to be in your plans.

Keep in mind that if you bought it new, it is likely under warranty still. Depending on where you are on the planet and where you bought it from, you may still be in the return policy time period as well, where you could get a new one.

Turning off the speakers through menu really does nothing but turn on/off the amp that powers the speakers (or just turns off the speakers).

You may indeed be experiencing a power issue because even though there is the IEC power cable that plugs into the unit, it is actually plagging into a wall-wart unit that is mounted inside the PA700. Sometimes, these can go bad and they are quite easy to replace.

With the above said, a thorough examination through a service center is a good move.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an amp or a mixer?

If you do you could try turning off the internal speaker and connecting it up to the amp or mixer and see if there is noise there.

This unit is similar to the electric supply adaptor I connect my keyboards to

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Power-Conditioner/dp/B0002D017M/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Mains+electric+filter+socket&qid=1616429543&sr=8-2
phyllidaverdiguel70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a keyboard make noise? I don't quite understand. As far as I know, this problem may be related to the connections between the keyboard and the computer, but not to the keyboard itself. I've read many articles about it on the website https://www.thehifiguide.com/edifier-r1700bt-vs-r1280db/, and now it is obvious that almost always there are problems in the wires that connect the two elements. Try to give it to the master or disassemble it yourself by video on YouTube. I've done that, too, and it's always helped me solve the noise problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: