Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NanoKontrol2 how to switch midi channel using track buttons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProG4mr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: NanoKontrol2 how to switch midi channel using track buttons Reply with quote

Hi, if you bought NanoKontrol2 you may be quite disappointed (like i was) because you cannot use the track buttons to change the midi output channel and thus be confined to use only "one scene" if you want to use YOUR OWN configuration.

If you like to use the nanoKontrol 2 just to control specifically the faders and transport buttons of your DAW you dont need this tutorial, however if you would like to use the nanoKontrol 2 for diferent configurations and not be limited to just one channel i think you're going to appreciate this:

First you need this free software from http://www.midiox.com/:
midiOx
midiYoke

Now what you are about to do is to get the output from nanoKontrol2 into midiOx, change some keymappings inside midiOx (for the trackbuttons), send the output from midiOx into a virtual midi channel (midiYoke) and then receive the changed output going thro midiOx into your DAW.

Step 1 :

Assuming you have already installed both programs, first thing to do is to open MidiOx and goto options -> midi devices

Use nanoKontrol 2 and a midiYoke channel as input, i use midiYoke 8, this midi channel will receive the converted CC from nanoKontrol back into midiOx to change the midiChannel (if you follow you will soon get how it works).

For output choose the same midiYoke channel as you did for input, and another one, i choose midiYoke 2, this is the channel that will send all the CC messages from nanoKontrol in the selected channel.

In "Port Mapping" leave only one channel active (i use channel 10) for the "Out to midiYoke: 8" and remove that same channel from "Out to midiYoke 2", this channel will be used to transmit the "change channel" CC.

In resume you should have this:

Save that preset as midiPreset1.

Step 2 :

Goto options -> Data Mapping and get a configuration similar to this one:
Im not going to explain in detail how to get this configuration, is pretty straightforward after you play around a bit with the buttons in that dialog.

As you can see in the image there are four mappings:
The first receives midi CC 59 (default "next track" button CC for nanoKontrol2), and forwards a PC (program change) message into midiYoke 8 so that it enters midiYoke as input, this program change message uses value 1 to switch to the second dataMap bank (more on this soon on step 3).
The second map receives midi CC 58 (the default "previous track" button CC for nanoKontrol2), and discards it because there is no midi channel before the first channel (optionally you can map this to send a program change message with value 15 to switch to the dataMap 16).
The third map simply takes all CC messages and transports them to channel 1, the thing here is that you will soon create more maps and change this channel map to channel 2, 3 etc.. then use the program change message to swap the current map.

Ok save your configurations as dataMap1.oxm (you will need it, name is optional)

Test your settings and see if when you press the next track button you get this (chose view -> port status):

This means that (assuming you did not change the nanoKontrol2 default settings) when you press the next track btn, midiOx receives the channel1 and is also receiving the forwarded "program change" message from midiYoke 8 on channel 10.

Step 3:

Go back to options -> Data Mapping and create a new map similar to the first map, the diference is that "previous track CC" sends a program change with value 0, "next track CC" sends a program change with value 2, and all CC messages are mapped to channel 2.

Save this map as dataMap2.oxm.

Step 4: (final)

Now is time to use the "program change" messages to switch between the two maps saved:

Goto options->PatchMapping and create two entries on slots number 0 and 1 with the corresponding dataMaps dataMap1.oxm and dataMap2.oxm, it should look like this at the end:

Dont forget to use the midiPort preset you saved earlier on both patches. The channels bellow (notice only channel 10 is selected) are the channels listened to for "program messages".

--------------------

Ok, it should be done, make sure the dataMap1 is being used on options->data mapping (important step).
If it all went right, when you press the "next track" and "previous track" buttons on nanoKontrol2 you should get this messages on output window:

Cool, you are switching patches (or dataMaps) with previous and next track buttons, and those patches are mapping all the CC's to diferent channels, for more channels all you need to do is create more patches.

Close and open midiOx, settings will be saved and all you need to do from now on is turning up midiOx before opening you're favourite daw.

Reemember that the altered channel midi CC's are going trho midiYoke2, goto to the midi settings of youre favourite DAW (Fl studio here) and select midiYoke2 as youre input midi.

Congratz, hope this has saved you're life like it did to mine, now korgKontrol 2 bad limitations wont stop you =).

Any questions feel free to ask, bye.
equiX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Problem midiyoke - Windows 7 x64 Reply with quote

Hi, I use reaper in windows 7 x64, and midi options does not appear midiyoke, some other alternative to this error because midiyoke w7 does not work in x64?, great tutorial, thanks!, disculpa mi ingles bajo jaja Smile

Post Data: My DAW: Reaper 4 x64
tk_nacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

Hi! i think your guide is great, thank you very much for sharing it.
I've followed all the steps and checked them and all seems to be right but im not getting the

08)In from MIDI Yoke: 8 - Port 10 Red light, as well as the,
09)Out to MIDI Yoke: 8 - Port 10 Green light
I guess, The that out isnt sending, so the in isnt receiving. How can i fix this?

Im getting this on the OUTPUT
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/h3szw[/img]
that is quite similar to yours but not the same.

--- I SOLVED IT BY SETTING KORG TO CC/Note Number in the Korg Editor ---

Also, another question. While setting this up with Reaper, may i also be able to control Vsts pots and stuff as well as controlling the DAW's transport and track buttons with no interference between them?? (sorry for my poor explanation). If you could explain me how to configure this it would be great =)
Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you soon.
Ignacio
kiboorge

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx man!
I think I got it working..you're post helped me a lot!

I appreciate it
ProG4mr

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is a late late response as i forgot about this forum for quite some time.

Yes equiX i use it also on windows 7 x64 no problem.

tk_nacho i dont know Reaper but i think you can control anything if you spend some time figuring out, in that case the easier way is to set diferent vsts to diferent midi channels and configure diferent keys to switch channels to control those vsts (and main Daw).

Btw i figured shortly after this that is also good to use one key of korg nano (or other controller) to toggle channels like, the last 3 buttons (S, M, R) toggle channels 2 3 and 4 while youre pressing them and return to channel 1 when you release, its pretty usefull and not much hard to do once you got the idea explained on the tutorial above.

Good productions.
tk_nacho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ProG4mr!! I gave up that time dont know why, but today i tryed to set up it with midiloop instead of midiyoke (because of Reaper x64 compatibility) and it's working like a charm!
Im begining to understand how this work but i cannot work out how to keep the buttons hold their light on, for example when pressing the play button or solo or mute. In other words, to return the DAW status to the NanoK2.

Hope you are still around and can give me some help and tell me if you have developed any other form of usage for the nano!

Thanks again man for this GREAT guide, you are the man!

Ignacio
jotalink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: guys, is there any way to do this on MAC? Reply with quote

guys, is there any way to do this on MAC?
Wilku357

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all its my 1st post

I recently bought nanokontrol 2 and i want SCENES badly !

My only DAW is Reaper 4.7xx and mac os 10.9.x

Can i use IAC MIDI driver build in OSX for this [insteed of midiYoke???]

how to do that ? Plz help!
Discreet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The same, I'm on OSX, trying to switch between midi channel with a knob of the nanokontrol and didn't manage to do it with midi-ox and midi pipe... Some ideas?
I'm sure it's easy to do with midipipe but i'm not very good in midi ...
Discreet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I finally managed to do the tricks with MIDI-OX and IAC bus on osx.
Thanks a lot
moulich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ! New here ! I'm on OSX too, would like to know how you did it on mac please
Letes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Can you explain me, please, how did you do to make it work?
Thank you!
Letes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: switch midi channel using track buttons Reply with quote

Hello,
I am trying to control Reaper with the controller "Korg nanoKONTROL2", and everything is going fine, but i would like to switch midi channel using track buttons in order to control channels 1 to 8 with midi channel 1, channels 9 to 16 with midi channel 2,...
I am working with MacOS Catalina, and my last try has been using MidiPipe, but i am not able to make it work.
Could you help me, please?
Thank you!
ProG4mr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast forward a few years here's another way to route and map midi using python scripting:

https://github.com/ripbizz/midirouter

-- using nanoKontrol factory settings
CYCLE -- hold to show active channel LED
TRACK > -- cycle midi channel forward
TRACK < -- cycle midi channel backward
CYCLE + MUTE1-8 -- select midi channel 1-8
CYCLE + ARM1-8 -- select midi channel 9-16
knobfun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, peeps on this thread seem to know stuff, so I'll ask a question here regarding MIDI CCs on the Korg Electribe Sampler...

Korg Electribe Sampler MIDI Implementation:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/368/2665/

I'm interested in what Control Change numbers should be assigned for Mute (and Solo, if possible). I think on the chart this should be in the section titled "2. Recognized Receive Data: 2-1 Channel Messages," but I don't see Mute, or Solo.

Anyone know what CC's these are? If they aren't listed in the MIDI Spec, is there a way to monitor the MIDI data when triggering Mute on the Electribe, for example, and determining the CC from that...?

My goal is to use a Nanokontrol2 controller w/ the ES2 (with a MIDI Host), and assign a fader to control Level, a button to trigger Mute, and the 2 other buttons to other things.

I've tried setting it up (with the Editor software, and Nanokontrol in CC Mode) with Amp Level (CC:07) on the fader, Amp Pan (CC:10) on the knob, and Insert FX OFF/ON (CC:104) on one of the buttons, and this all works. The channel strips are assigned to MIDI channels 1-8 (not sure if there's a way to set up the Nanokontrol to have 2 scenes, controlling MIDI ch. 1-8 on one scene, then 9-16 on another).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: