Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg i3 rescued from building works

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Korg i3 rescued from building works Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to the forum, look forward to getting to know you lot.

I have picked up a very dusty i3 for free from a company that were having a clear out, they had no idea what it was and I'm at a loss how it ever ended up in that particularly place.

I play guitar rather than keyboard and have a few MIDI guitars I like to mess around with, and to this end I have a few MIDI tone generators (SC-55 and a MU-128). I was hoping I might be able to play around with the i3 in the same way. I recognise that this is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but hey, the sledgehammer was free so might as well use it Wink

I've turned the unit it on, and it appears to start up fine. It reads "ARR 11: BigCountry" at the top of its LCD display. I can't get a note out of it, though - no sound from the headphones. I assume that even though it is in some kind of arrangement mode, I should still be able to play and hear notes on the keyboard?

I've yet to really dive into information online but did read something that indicates that it needs a floppy drive in order to function, which stopped me in my tracks. Is this correct? [Edit: got far enough into the manual to figure out the answer is "no"). It came with no floppy disks and there's no chance that they'll be found at this point, and it sounds like the Gotek-style floppy emulators don't work with this unit.

Any advice for good sources to learn the basics about this unit would also be welcome.

Later edit: After messing with it some more it is clear that it does play tones, but it's just insanely quiet - not really audible on headphones and only detectable on an amp turned up way, way higher than anything I've ever set it to. The background noise makes using it in this way a no-go. Is this a common problem? I'm moderately handy with a soldering iron and can replace caps and so on but SMD stuff is my limit.
yoshi88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Power on mute= no sound Reply with quote

Go to the latest thread on no sound issue solved.
Very common issue. Replace the leaking caps. You also MUST REPLACE cap at located by the battery # C40.
Good luck.
Triton PRO X 88
Trinity V3 61
O1WFD 61
T3 61
M1 61
03R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i-Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: