Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to backup MicroKorg XL Plus patches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: How to backup MicroKorg XL Plus patches Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just got my new MKXL+ and I love it. However, before overwriting some patches that I don't like as much I want to backup the original patches. I looked at YouTube and the forum and can't find anything regarding the new program.

Also, is it possible to backup different patches that are in the same bank? What I mean by that is:
- I created a new pad, for instance, in bank A12.
- In a year's time I want to backup said pad and create something else in in A12, *and save that one as well without deleting the pad*. Is that possible?

Any help is appreciated
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No need to update the original patches. They can always be restored using the prelaod global utility (p62 of the manual), either all at once or selectively 1 by 1.

Further I would recommend you to download the editor, which helps you to edit sound but also serves as a very good librarian for programs.
It comes as well with original patches in a PC file to download to the board when you want one back or on another location.
Next to that it allows to manage your patches in different files, where each file contains up to the 128 programs available on the board. E.g. you can backup your pad on A12, and the year after you can backup your new patch at A12 in another file. An the year after that you can put back the A12 pad and the A12 new patch in the board at e.g. locations A11 and B11. It's all possible to mix and match using the editor. The only limitation is that max 128 patches at once can be stored in the board.

Have fun.
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp, thanks for the reply.

How do I create the different files? I can’t find anything related in the manual.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You won't find anything about the editor in the manual of the XL+ itself.

Did you install the editor? There is a extensive pdf manual included. There you will find the information on patch library files and how to transfer from/to the XL+ itself.
Here is the editor:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=647

Then it is a matter of using File|New, Open, Save...

Good luck.
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read the manual of the editor but I don't see where it mentions how to create different "groups" of 128 patches.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

P13: library management.
As I indicated in my previous post: File|New gives you a new library file that can store up to 128 patches all set to the "init patch" when using new. The editor also comes with a few example library files as well: the factory ones of the mKXL+, a recreation of the factory patches of the original mK and the MS2K.

Starting from such a library file, you can receive one or more or all patches of the board and store it in the library file. Or tweak it in real time (edit) Vice versa is also possible, meaning you can transfer a patch from the library file to the board.
See p15, program management.

The nice thing is that you can open severql library files at once and copy past programs from one into another file and then download them at once to the board (e.g. like a setup for different gigs).

Bye
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp, thanks for the reply. I managed to do everything I wanted so far, however there's something I don't get. After saving via "Save as" and then pressing "Import Library File" it doesn't show me any of the Library files. Only when I choose "Open" it shows be the 128 preset banks (including the one I created). So what is the purpose of the Import Library File or did I do something wrong?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Glad that you progressed!
"File|Open" is the normal way to open the library files Smile
At least on Windows machines the library files are registered as well in the system. Double clicking them in a file explorer will also open them.

Now the function "Import Library File" serves another purpose. More in particular it allows to read in library files of the mKXL (without the +!) and convert them to a mKXL+ library file. Otherwise said, patches for the mKXL can straight away also be used on a mKXL+ without any manual tweaking. This is because the mKXL and the mKXL+ are basically the same boards, only the looks are a bit different, possibly the firmware of the XL+ has some bugfixes (though nothing has been confirmed about this). The main difference are the PCM samples. Some are common, some are different and the common ones may have another sample number. That is why imported patches based on a PCM wave may sound differently on the mKXL than on the mKXL+. Patches based on standard waveforms like saw, sine, pulse will sound the same.

Btw, conversion in the other direction is also possible (XL+ to XL) but not officially supported by the Korg editor. It's done via a small tool someone personally developed.

Enjoy.
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp, that cleared everything up.
I think I have my project for the next year or so - changing (almost) all the presets to a library of my own. At first I was a bit disappointed with the sound of the MKXL+ but apparently I just don't like most of the stock presets. It's such a versatile machine and the Editor opens up a whole new world.

Thanks a bunch.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top.
Indeed the editor opens a whole new world. The tweaking is part of the fun of this beast and the main reason why I bought it. More than the factory patches.
I've my XL about 12 years and I still like to lose some time on creating a new sound!

Have fun the coming year Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: