Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI message with System Transpose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruifa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: MIDI message with System Transpose Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if someone knows if its possible to send a midi message with system transpose embedded into a midi file?

Best regards!

Ruifa
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem we have had for years and years is the absence of a MIDI Implementation manual (never been one since PA1X)

You could try a MIDI monitor and see what the MIDI message transmitted for transpose is.
The PA4X definitely sends out MIDI transpose messages when you press the transpose buttons.... I just don't know what they are....
I can only assume that it "receives" those messages - sorry, shouldn't "assume" - I'll say "hope" Very Happy

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI message with System Transpose Reply with quote

ruifa wrote:
.. send a midi message with system transpose embedded into a midi file ...

.. Implementation chart show "No" to transmit and recognize System Common message "Tune" (Manual Pa4x-v31 page1141)

What you can do with Midi Songs an Master Transpose (Saving Master Transpose with a Song, Preventing unwanted transposition, Transposing the score and chord symbols) only can be done within Global > Tuning > Transpose Control page.

In sequencer mode each SMF is saved with a recent Master Transpose value and is preserved when playing back in song mode.
Loading a SMF containing Master Transpose Data will modify Pa4x Master Transpose - but this may cause problems with other songs or when playing styles.

To avoid this lock master transpose (in Global > General Controls > Lock > Tuning) and transpose MidiData of SMF (Sequencer > Song Edit > Transpose) or transpose KbdSongs together with the song (via (TRANSPOSE buttons on the control panel).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When recording a sequence and the M.Transpose button is pressed the notes recorded are transposed but there is no Master Transpose MIDI event recorded (which is what I would expect).

If you want to have a MIDI file play readily transposed then create the MIDI, select it in SONGPLAY mode, change the M.Transpose to your requirements, create a SONGBOOK entry for it - this will solve that problem (of course, make sure the MASTER TRANSPOSE lock is off in GLOBAL mode).

.....but, according to your OP, I think this is what you want to do....
If you want the PA4X to change its M.Transpose somewhere within the MIDI file then the M.Transpose MIDI event must be inserted inside the MIDI file. This would have to be done on PC/Mac.
The problems with that are:-
1. Finding out what the M.Transpose MIDI SYSEX is
2. Knowing whether the PA4X will actually react to it when played back

The PA4X definitely sends out a MIDI event (via MIDI-OUT) every time you press the M.Transpose button but I've not tried to establish what it is or enter it inside a MIDI file to see if the PA4X will "read/recognise" that event during playback. You would need to run the PA4X MIDI-OUT via a MIDI monitor in order to see what the M.Transpose MIDI event is.

We have asked Korg for MIDI Implementation details for years - they produced them for the i-series back in the dark ages but never for the PA-series.

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: