Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a used Kronos X...what to look for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockappalla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Buying a used Kronos X...what to look for? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm buying a used Kronos X, what are the things I should look for while checking it out?

Thank you! Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer depends on the situation. Is this a private sale, a pawn shop, music store, or an auction site? Is it possible to view and play the keyboard before buying?

rockappalla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The answer depends on the situation. Is this a private sale, a pawn shop, music store, or an auction site? Is it possible to view and play the keyboard before buying?

Hi, it's a private sale and I'll have the opportunity to try it!
what do you suggest?
thank you!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playability, functionality, and appearance, would be the things to look at.

Take along a pair of headphones/earphones and a sustain pedal, and reading glasses, if needed. The Kronos audio ins and outs are all 1/4" jacks, so bring a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter, if necessary. Ask the seller about the board's history and if there are any issues the Kronos has now or has had in the past. Check the Kronos boots up OK (it should take around two to two and a half minutes, depending on the sound packs that are loaded). Listen for fan noise (excessive fan noise is fixable).

If it's a Kronos LS, check for sinking keys (they are fixable), and check the following: all the keys play, and velocity sense OK (use an acoustic piano program); the controls are in good shape; the screen works (although it's a"TouchView" screen, it takes a bit of pressure from a fingernail to register, much like the Krome's screen). Check the sound quality and smooth operation of the volume control (and faders for a Combi), and the lack of pops, crackles, and hiss when keys are not being played (though note that a few Combis do have a "vinyl" crackle effect that is present even when keys are not being played). If there is hiss, check that the gain on the audio inputs is set to Line, and turned down. Check the joystick(s) and ribbon controller work ok (the vector joystick may not be set up to do much on some Programs and Combis, the joystick won't have any pitch bend effect on acoustic piano Programs).

bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should any existing sound expansion libraries (EXs) that were purchased by the original owner of that Kronos be a consideration for a resale buyer? Or are those EXs only usable by the original expansion library purchaser for that specific Kronos keyboard and do not transfer with the keyboard to a resale buyer?

I do not know how this licensing and reauthorization works, but it could be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars potentially to the value of a resale keyboard depending on the answer.
rockappalla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Playability, functionality, and appearance, would be the things to look at.

Take along a pair of headphones/earphones and a sustain pedal, and reading glasses, if needed. The Kronos audio ins and outs are all 1/4" jacks, so bring a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter, if necessary. Ask the seller about the board's history and if there are any issues the Kronos has now or has had in the past. Check the Kronos boots up OK (it should take around two to two and a half minutes, depending on the sound packs that are loaded). Listen for fan noise (excessive fan noise is fixable).

If it's a Kronos LS, check for sinking keys (they are fixable), and check the following: all the keys play, and velocity sense OK (use an acoustic piano program); the controls are in good shape; the screen works (although it's a"TouchView" screen, it takes a bit of pressure from a fingernail to register, much like the Krome's screen). Check the sound quality and smooth operation of the volume control (and faders for a Combi), and the lack of pops, crackles, and hiss when keys are not being played (though note that a few Combis do have a "vinyl" crackle effect that is present even when keys are not being played). If there is hiss, check that the gain on the audio inputs is set to Line, and turned down. Check the joystick(s) and ribbon controller work ok (the vector joystick may not be set up to do much on some Programs and Combis, the joystick won't have any pitch bend effect on acoustic piano Programs).

Thank you very much for writing that down, I really appreciate!!

Have a great day,
ciao!
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:
Should any existing sound expansion libraries (EXs) that were purchased by the original owner of that Kronos be a consideration for a resale buyer? Or are those EXs only usable by the original expansion library purchaser for that specific Kronos keyboard and do not transfer with the keyboard to a resale buyer?

I do not know how this licensing and reauthorization works, but it could be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars potentially to the value of a resale keyboard depending on the answer.

The libraries are locked to up to three devices on one account. I don't think you can transfer to another account. However, since they are linked to the keyboard already, that person just needs to provide the codes to authorize them, should you have to delete and reinstall them for any reason. Also get backups of the files.

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonSolo wrote:

The libraries are locked to up to three devices on one account. I don't think you can transfer to another account. However, since they are linked to the keyboard already, that person just needs to provide the codes to authorize them, should you have to delete and reinstall them for any reason. Also get backups of the files.

Thanks JonSolo - it's good to know how that works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: