Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing a new SSD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremyjcs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Installing a new SSD Reply with quote

Hi Forum Folks. happy New Year to you all.

I have a K88 and a K73 , both are 1st generation boards which date back to 2012.

In recent weeks , on a couple of occasions , the K73 has crashed and a blue screen with an error message appears :-
"A problem has been detected, which may have been caused by cycling power too quickly. Please turn the Kronos off, wait for 10 seconds and then turn it back on."

Advice from some members of the Kronos Facebook group is to replace the HDD on the K73 with a new SSD , so that is what I am going to do. I've read some really helpful posts on here regarding disc cloning so I will attempt to do that.

My question to the forum is can I clone the problem-free K88 hard disc on to the SSD and then install the SSD with K88 cloned disc into the K73 ?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
JFree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe you can clone a drive and use it in a different machine-someone may know for certain here. I have cloned a drive for use in the same machine before. Just curious, did you try the other common issues that create that problem-clean/reseat ram, same for drive connections. Could also be power supply. May not be a bad idea to freshen up the drive, but also may not be the problem.
jeremyjcs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the steer JFree. I wondered whether it might be the case that you can't switch a drive between machines, hence the question. I've since found another post that confirms the same.

I've tried re-seating the RAM and checked the drive connections.

I've thought about the power supply , but I'm inclined to think the HDD might be the issue - it became unseated , presumably when being thrown around by baggage handlers when I flew with it . The suggested solution from the Facebook group about replacing the HDD was made without that knowledge so seems a good first step to try and fairly inexpensive.

Having pondered a bit more on it , if there is a kind of corruption pn the HDD , then I guess cloning it runs the risk of bringing the corruption across to the new drive , so I've resolved to go through a complete reinstall from the original factory discs , upgrade the operating system and then reload all the backed up PCGs, KSCs etc...

More time consuming, but processes I understand .

If that doesn't work , then I'll try the PS.

Regards

Jeremy
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us a bit more about how the hard drive was ‘unseated’? Aren’t the drives on the K1 screwed to the cage like on the K2?

Is the error persistent - the Kronos never fully boots?

Have you taken the bottom cover off and connected a monitor to the VGA port? You may be able to determine where the failure is, or at least get a hint where it is hanging up.

If it is truly a drive issue, I would still try cloning the drive onto a new (larger) SSD. If it is a physical bad sector or two, it may map around it/them and come up running. If not, you can try recovery or reinstall and you’d be ahead of the game with a shiny new drive.

Lastly - not sure if the boot screen and behavior is the same with the K1 (I understand they changed the splash page), but if it has the progress bar at the bottom of the screen you can often get useful feedback during the boot process if you monitor its position during startup.
rickster1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's not the power supply - I've had P/S problems (twice) & when your power supply goes, the power just blinks off, no messages on the screen. If you're getting messages on the screen, then your P/S is still working, power is still going to the K.
I'm inclined to think its the RAM or a loose connector.
jeremyjcs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input folks.

I fitted a new SSD and used the original installation discs from 2012 , then updated to OS 3.1.3 and reinstalled a full backup I made.

Took a couple of hours to go through the process but I ran it for 7 hours after that and no reoccurance of the power cycling error , so fingers cross I'm OK from here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: