Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantom is the new oasys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Fantom is the new oasys? Reply with quote

Roland added another new engine to the Fantom....
Its the 6th engine they added with more engines comming.
The Fantom now has 9 engines in total..
This time its an advanced wavetable synth..

https://youtu.be/QawYWsuk490

But some things have changed compared to previous expansions
This is a brand new synth engine and not a reproduction of earlier models
This one is not free, it costs €150

So basically Roland is doing what Korg wanted to start 15 years ago with the oasys..
afr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fantom and this is a really nice expansion

But owning a Kronos since 10 years and a Nautilus, my wish is that KORG will do somethig new following and expanding the concept introduced with the OASYS

I'm pretty sure they have all the know how to do it, is just matter of time
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that I've been slightly lulled into a false sense of security Laughing We've had some wonderful free updates with the Tonewheel and Vintage Models etc. so I didn't expect to have to pay £135 for this Model Expansion, I guess that's the way things are...

I'll have to think carefully if it's really worth having, although it's very, very tempting.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
I have the fantom and this is a really nice expansion

But owning a Kronos since 10 years and a Nautilus, my wish is that KORG will do somethig new following and expanding the concept introduced with the OASYS

I'm pretty sure they have all the know how to do it, is just matter of time

I think Roland is proofing the world is finally ready for the concept they introduced with the Oasys. Hardware prices have dropped, and people finally have got used to the idea that paying for software is not a bad thing.. mostly thanks to apple..

Broadwave wrote:
I feel that I've been slightly lulled into a false sense of security Laughing We've had some wonderful free updates with the Tonewheel and Vintage Models etc. so I didn't expect to have to pay £135 for this Model Expansion, I guess that's the way things are...

I'll have to think carefully if it's really worth having, although it's very, very tempting.

Few weeks ago i posted that the two main things to make the Fantom a complete workstation where basically two engines.. an wavetable and an FM synth.. (and more then just one arpeggiator)

Seems this is the first step… two wavetables and so much more making this everything from simple wavetable synthesis to a very advanced new form of rhytmic pad synth.. so far inlove what i have seen.. its feels fresh, new, innovative but most of all worth every penny.

I guess we will have to see how many engines the hardware allows for.. but i do expect next to an FM expansion to see the JD800, and other synths from Rolands cloud to be adapted.. altough, it seems there is a problem what makes it hard to sell synths that are part of the cloud..as you can not charge people that own synths trough the cloud for using them inside the Fantom, and there is currently no way for Roland to check for an active cloud sub from inside the Fantom.

In the end Roland has passed the Oasys from the engine pointbof view, and its challenging the Kronos.. but sadly due to limitations it does not come close to the Kronos strongest sellpoint, its great sampler and the way sample streaming expands the ram by a huge margin. The Fantom has 2GB of Ram, and thats it..

Also things like a hard max of 512 scenes (combo’s in kronos) for both user and factory scenes is very very limiting.. some people love the ableton style pattern sequencer, but still an additional linear sequencer is missed by many.. and as said a single arp does not cut it in my book..

So lots of work down the road for Roland, and except for the new engine the upgrades this patch to excisting things felt totally underwhelming to me…
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fantom looks incredible. The build quality is second to none. The synth engines are terrific. You do have to pay for these, which is a bit of a negative. The only area the Fantom falls behind is sampling. It's non-streaming and quite limited with regard to user samples. It would be nice if they added the SN sounds from the Integra. And I appreciate that they have been providing meaningful updates for years. This is something Korg did with the Kronos. But without question, the Fantom is an awesome synth.

I subscribe to Roland Cloud so I get most of these synths (and more) in software form, though I do know that I'll be seeing this wavetable synth any time soon.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
mwiik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Oasys 88 for 10 years (2005-2015). It's still an amazing instrument and still the sound of it is... I am out of words...
A friend of mine still has the Oasys 88 and everytime I visit him I just have to touch it and play a couple of tunes...
(Before Oasys my base rig was Yamaha Motif 7 and Roland XV-5080)

When Kronos 1 came, I tried it out but I was so disappointed of the build quality, well, or the "feeling" about the build quality. Yes, it had some new pianos, but I decided to keep my Oasys.

Then Kronos 2 came. Now the build quality and "feeling" was there and it felt like a true quality piece of equipment. I traded my Oasys and I have been very happy for last 7 years. I still have my Kronos 2 and love it!

Heard about the Fantom. Tried it in the music store and I bought one Fantom 88. To be honest, it's not near the Oasys in build quality or the "feeling" for sure and after installing all the SRX expansions, sounds were back at the 90's. Did I buy an Integra ? Ok, then I downloaded the synth engines and was a little bit happier. But I have tried, tweaked, really gave it some time. Also I cannot make myself a friend with the V-piano. But pianos are a personal thing and Kronos SGX pianos are really something good.

So now I traded the Fantom for the Nautilus 88. Believe it or not. And got a lot of money back also. Got a couple of nice Bose speakers etc....Is the Fantom maybe a bit overpriced?

Shocked

The Nautilus is actually not that bad as many Kronos owners wants to make it. It sounds as amazing as the Kronos. Now with 1.2 upgrade we got Kronos compatibility and sound libraries. Even most of my already purchased libraries works without extra cost. Arpeggiator is more easy to use than Karma. Yes, I miss the chord pads (I miss the Oasys actually) and at the beginning I missed the real-time controls, but not anymore. Screen works perfectly fine even in live situations.

I was a Roland guy for many many years, switched to Korg and I thought the Fantom would be a "comeback" for me, but I recommend that you really try it out. Not in the music store. If possible, borrow one home for 1-2 weeks so you can really find all pros and cons. Then make the decision. It is an amazing piece, no doubt. Maybe a good complement for Kronos or Nautilus, not for me though
Smile Wink
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
The Fantom looks incredible. The build quality is second to none. The synth engines are terrific. You do have to pay for these, which is a bit of a negative. The only area the Fantom falls behind is sampling. It's non-streaming and quite limited with regard to user samples. It would be nice if they added the SN sounds from the Integra. And I appreciate that they have been providing meaningful updates for years. This is something Korg did with the Kronos. But without question, the Fantom is an awesome synth.

I subscribe to Roland Cloud so I get most of these synths (and more) in software form, though I do know that I'll be seeing this wavetable synth any time soon.

Busch.
most of the SN sounds from the integra have been added over the past two years.. some cattegories are stll missing

The first 4 synth and the B3 organ engine they added where free, only the last engine they added is paid.

Its out two years and Roland indicates there will be updates for several years to come
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: the KRONOS had shipped code in it that allowed for additional sound engines and effects to be loaded and authorised in the same way as EXs sample expansions. Why they never leveraged that function is beyond me. Even today I’d be very happy to pay for software updates, new engines etc.

It’s great that Roland are running with the concept though! I looked at the Fantom and was disappointed with the sequencer, but other than that seemed like a very solid board.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
most of the SN sounds from the integra have been added over the past two years.. some cattegories are stll missing

LOTS are still missing. Fantom probably has about half the SuperNATURAL Acoustic instruments that are in the Integra.

Here are ones I believe are not on the Fantom. Even this list is not complete, but I think I got most of them.

reed EP (Wurli)
clavinet
acoustic guitars
acoustic bass
electric guitars
accordions
harmonicas
french horn
bassoon
flute
recorders
flugelhorn
soprano sax
english horn
sitar
ukulele
mandolin
vibes
marimba
glockenspiel
xylophone
tubular bells
steel drums
timpani
additional Rhodes models
additional "ethnic" instruments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: