Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quick question: new oasys sounds for kross2, sound the same?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.Oz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: quick question: new oasys sounds for kross2, sound the same? Reply with quote

As the title implies, the new pack of sounds for kross2 sounds the same quality as in Oasys? I know there´s more efx and etc, but what I am asking is:

If you just turn one both keys and choose the same sounds, like piano + strings, will they sound the same?

The same question extends to kross1 regarding the 512 bonus sounds from Triton.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: quick question: new oasys sounds for kross2, sound the s Reply with quote

K.Oz wrote:
As the title implies, the new pack of sounds for kross2 sounds the same quality as in Oasys? I know there´s more efx and etc, but what I am asking is:

If you just turn one both keys and choose the same sounds, like piano + strings, will they sound the same?

The same question extends to kross1 regarding the 512 bonus sounds from Triton.

I doubt that they are exactly the same. I would imagine that the essence of the OASYS piano is in there, but as far as the exact same samples, I doubt it. Even Korg's release info about the OASYS sounds is that they are based on the OASYS sounds, not an exact replica of them.

The piano sounds are around a 90mb file for the Kross. The compressed file for the EP sounds are around 14mb. The Future synth collection is around 16mb.

The DAC's on the OASYS were likely the best they ever had in a synth, and the Kross 2 DACs are not as high of quality.

I listened to the samples Korg has on their site and the sounds do sound very good. I imagine that the standard user would not be able to tell the difference and the packs for the Kross 2 are a good representation.

With the Kross 1 Bonus pack, they sound very similar to the Triton synth, but they too are not exact. There is a difference, but not many people would really be able to tell the difference.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
K.Oz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: quick question: new oasys sounds for kross2, sound the s Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
There is a difference, but not many people would really be able to tell the difference.

That sounds really a fit to me! Just few "last" questions, I think the sounds for kross2 from Oasys can not be put in the kross1, but the kross1 512 bonus sounds can or already are in kross2?

DoesKross2 has sample function, I mean, I can load other piano or brass multisamples across the keys?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: quick question: new oasys sounds for kross2, sound the s Reply with quote

K.Oz wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
There is a difference, but not many people would really be able to tell the difference.

That sounds really a fit to me! Just few "last" questions, I think the sounds for kross2 from Oasys can not be put in the kross1, but the kross1 512 bonus sounds can or already are in kross2?

DoesKross2 has sample function, I mean, I can load other piano or brass multisamples across the keys?

Other than the sample packs available for the Kross, you cannot load any new samples for use across the keyboard. The Kross 1 Bonus pack, I believe, is also not able to be loaded. Even though the keyboards are very similar, they are different in some ways. One of those ways is the sound table (where the samples are). The Kross 2 has more sounds in it than the Kross 1 does. It has more pianos, EPs, and many other sounds.

I do not have the Kross 2 - I have the Kross 1 (4 of them, actually. Two are 88-key units and the other two are 61-key). I considered the Kross 2, but since I have so much invested, sound-wise (and the fact I have 4 of them), I did not want to make the change. My friend who bought my other M50 from me also just bought and received a used Kross 1-88, based on my recommendation. I will program it for her, so again, having some of my own makes that easier.

You can load samples into the Kross 2, but they are going to be used on the pads - not across the keyboard itself like a regular sample. At least that is my understand from what I have read in the forums and in reviews.

I know that people have loaded custom samples in the Kross 1, but I am not familiar with how to do that and it is not something freely endorsed by Korg.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
lidserter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load samples, you just need to create a drumkit. Keep in mind that each drumkit can have 128 keys assigned. I'll paste the description of a video i uploaded a while ago:

In this video I show you how you can sample inside the kross itself, adjust the sample start and end points, adjust the volume, convert the sample to a single multisample stored on the PCM expansion memory, create a user drumkit that uses that multisample and calculates automatically the sounds for the other keys, letting you have a playable instrument from a single multisample. In this case i choosed to work with a rhythmic pattern in order to show you how can you change the tempo of the sample as a side effect of the process, but it applies to every instrument, as shown when I played a little of my realistic choir sound. For more realism you should work with a different sample within 2-3 keys. As any program you can apply effects too and that is shown at the end.

The process explained:
1 Create/import a sample
2 Activate loop and deactivate gate, this is necessary if you want a looped pattern when you hold a key later.
3 Adjust start and end points, use the zoom!
4 Adjust levels if necessary, then exit.
5 Press Function then select 'convert current bank to program'
6 Create a user drumkit: global menu. Select an empty one.
7 Choose a key, check Assign, select your fresh sample in the appropriate bank, stereo or mono. If stereo is chosen it's equivalent to select any of the multisamples (there are two almost identically named, one L one R)
8 Play the keyboard. For every key BELOW the one assigned, same sample is played in correct pitch. If you need realism assign more samples.
9 Save the drumkit.
10 Go to the program you just created when exporting the sampler bank. Change its oscillator voice setting to Drums. Then select the drumkit you just defined.
11 From here its just a playable program, you can apply effects, use it on a Combi, favorites....
12 Enjoy.
13 You can monitor your remaining memory in global media, ex PCM.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: