Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perfect controller to use with Nautilus 61?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITguy54

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Perfect controller to use with Nautilus 61? Reply with quote

The lack of aftertouch and physical controls on the Nautilus certainly is disappointing. Perhaps this Viscount Physis controller/piano is the perfect compliment to the Nautilus 61, since it has both and a lot more: the Physis
Piano K4 EX

https://www.viscountinstruments.com/instrument/physis-piano-k4-ex-2/
aellison62

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t think the Nautilus would be able to receive aftertouch MIDI data?
I know the Nautilus keybed is not aftertouch capable but does it have aftertouch capability at all ?? That Physis is nice but a little on the expensive side if you just want a controller. You wouldn't need all the extra sounds the Physis brings with it. But, not many 88 key controllers have aftertouch either. I just got my 73 key Nautilus. I am used to aftertouch on my other two gigging boards. I am going to wait a while and see if I miss it on the Nautilus. If I think about it, I really only use aftertouch on a very select few instances during my usual playing/gigging. The additional controls can be added with a very inexpensive Korg nanokontrol unit plugged into the usb port and you can have it set right there on upper left side of panel. 8 sliders, 8 encoders, transport controls and a couple extra buttons, all assignable
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nautilus supports aftertouch, including polyphonic aftertouch, received from external sources. The Nautilus Keybeds themselves are not aftertouch-capable.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
I don;t think the Nautilus would be able to receive aftertouch MIDI data?
I know the Nautilus keybed is not aftertouch capable but does it have aftertouch capability at all ?? That Physis is nice but a little on the expensive side if you just want a controller. You wouldn't need all the extra sounds the Physis brings with it.

Maybe you wouldn’t need the extra sounds on the Physis piano, but I would like all 5 modeling engines and the extra sampled sounds, so I don’t see it as just a controller. It is a less expensive alternative to the new Roland FP-90X modeling piano.
mildheadwound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Novation Launchpad Pro 3 and it is amazing, with the Nautilus. First, it plugs into the Nautilus' usb in, powers the launchpad, syncs clocks and everything. Sitting pretty on my 73 key as well! It syncs perfectly with the song mode, so you can really program each note, if you don't quite have the chops, and even edit, by scrolling on the Nautilus' timeline*. Much better then the sequence editing directly in the Nautilus.

The Launchpad's inbuilt sequencer, 'Mutation', (which adds harmonic variety), velocity and probability etc... and even it's polyrhythmic nature*, in regards to sequence timing, can be recorded, almost indefinitely, into song mode. I basically record into the launchpad, work out the arrangements, (up to 4 parts), then when i am done, record that midi into the Nautilus, in song mode. Then onto the next 4 tracks etc, to build up the song.

I even use one of the launchpad's tracks for the drums, as the 'mpc' style layout actually also uses octave switching, so you can trigger any drum sample within the multisample drum set, and even utilize the launchpad's pre mentioned sequencer features, (vel. and prob. mutate, etc), to really work out some sharp rhythmic variations.

The launchpad also has 8 custom midi layouts, in which i used the first 4, as two sets of 8 volume controls, and two sets of pans, for all mixer channels. I still have to get my head around the deeper working's, of the Nautilus, but you can definitely set up full instrument controls.

The Launchpad has a chord builder, and works in scales, so you can jam out, jumping from track to track, using your preset scales, even quickly using the same sequences in different midi channels. And finally, it is poly AT, which the Nautilus does respond to, quite nicely.

* The Song mode sync works so well, that even when using unusual step numbers, between sequencers, to create polyrhythms, you can still scroll through them, with the Nautilus timeline, provided their patterns are properly linked, within the launchpad. Quick example, in the launchpad's first sequence, it plays two bars and repeats, but in sequencer 2, it plays 4 bars, so sequence 1 will play twice as often as two. Chain these up, to even more awkward numbers, using the launchpad's patterns, and time divisions, and it still track properly when being scrolled through by the Nautilus' song mode.
Alp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Nautilus supports aftertouch, including polyphonic aftertouch, received from external sources. The Nautilus Keybeds themselves are not aftertouch-capable."

Great, but for those of use at the bottom of the learning curve ( me ) who need to hook up an assortment of midi cables and learn to enable communication from one device to the other and related CC codes ( I think they are)... this is a massive underatking. Would be nice if Nautilus had aftertouch built in, but it doesn't... I got one anyway.
RastoN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Nano Controls 2 is nautilus compatible?
Triton76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raston: Im using a Nanokey studio with the Nautilus 73 so yes Nano series are all compatible.

I can't get MIDI from Nano to Nautilus USB to continue out to midi thru to another synth though. Gotta figure that out so I don't have to buy a special cable.
Triton76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raston: Im using a Nanokey studio with the Nautilus 73 so yes Nano series are all compatible.

I can't get MIDI from Nano to Nautilus USB to continue out to midi thru to another synth though. Gotta figure that out so I don't have to buy a special cable.
giblop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ne peut on pas utiliser une pédale d'expression (EXP-2) pour déclencher l'aftertouch ?

Can't we use an expression pedal (EXP-2) to trigger the aftertouch?
RastoN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Nanocontrol 2 Reply with quote

nanocontrol 2 does anyone know the settings for nautilus in combi mode for control e.g. volume etc?
Sequencer mod volume control, start-stop sequencer, scene mod - switching between scenes?
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanocontrol 2 Reply with quote

RastoN wrote:
nanocontrol 2 does anyone know the settings for nautilus in combi mode for control e.g. volume etc?
Sequencer mod volume control, start-stop sequencer, scene mod - switching between scenes?

I'd be particularly interested in scene switching and volume control in combi mode using nanokontrol.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI Implementation document for the Kronos may have some useful information, since there are many similarities shared with the Nautilus:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/424/4593/

Also, connecting the Nautilus to a PC and using something like MIDI-Ox to look at the MIDI messages coming from the Nautilus, may give some useful clues to the MIDI CC# messages being used by each of the Nautilus controls.

recreational

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing the keyboard: at least one hand
knobs: there's 8 of them, you have 5 fingers left over and I doubt you'll turn 2 knobs at once with 5 fingers.

Uh. Lack of physical controls? I think you'd need extra appendages to physically exhaust the given controls that you already have. Which MIDI controllers are you currently aware of that allow you to edit multiple parameters while also still playing the keyboard? Even a ROLI seaboard (which does work with KRONOS/Nautilus due to MPE-support) limits the number of simultaneously affectable parameters to like, 3 (or 6, depending on how you want to look at it, but nobody is actually gonna engage 6 axes of control, at least not on one of those)

Your gripe seems more to be with I/O peripherals in general. There's also the nautilus controller software, which allows you to even outdo an octopus with all his appendages ... by controlling via the DAW itself..

how else did you expect KORG to shave $2000 off a Kronos price tag?
RastoN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want software but nanocontrol 2 so i can control live mode in combi mode, combi mode without touch screen. That is all. The manual says - Korg Nautilus works with nanocontrollers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: