Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to pan an gain-stage the dx?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: How to pan an gain-stage the dx? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I want my recordings of the xd to sound as close to my headphones out on the synth. Currently I record stereo (two channels - L and R) but I'm not sure how hard to pan the left and right channels. 100%? Also, how should I balance the Line In gain of the interface VS the volume of the xd?

I use Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) and Reaper. I know it isn't the highest quality Audio Interface, but I want to make sure I use it correctly.

Awaiting your wisdom

Mr. Green
Kyoto92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer my own question if someone else is interested:
- I keep the VCOs below maximum (usually about 50-75%) to avoid unwanted compression.
- Pan hard left and hard right.
- Main output knob around 50-80%. Below 50% will make the sound a bit "weak".
- Interface gain below 50% to minimize noise. I get around (- 1Cool - (-12) db in the interface.

Live long and prosper.
matjones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i use a DI box, either a Radial Pro D2 or JDI into a mic preamp, i'm lucky enough to have a few including a Drawmer 1970, Neve 8801, UA610b, SSL X-Logic; and run the output of the XD at or near full output.
I've find using the line inputs on my interface as direct inputs from the XD to be lacking in colour and a bit on the noisy side.

I'd look at getting a decent stereo DI box and using your mic preamps if i were you.
Sometimes i like to track a synth twice, once with plenty of headroom and another hitting the mic pres hard to saturate or over drive them and then blending the result, can work amazingly for synth basslines.

HTH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: