Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth buying a Triton classic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckyluca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Worth buying a Triton classic? Reply with quote

Hi,

I come across a Triton classic in good conditions. Is it worth purchasing today?

I'd like to use it for the wonderful keybed and as sequencer to compose music on.

Can I drive an external synth from the sequencer via midi?

Also, the scsi port at the back is closed, does it mean that it is missing the scsi port? Not having floppies, is there a way to import/export songs sounds programs/combis any other way?

a bit of backstory:
I used to own a Trinity back in the nineties, had to sell it to finance real life 20 years ago.
Loved the sounds and workstations features, especially the sequencer, and oh my god touchscreen in 1996, it was the feature back then.

Thanks!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth buying a Triton classic? Reply with quote

luckyluca wrote:

Can I drive an external synth from the sequencer via midi?

Yes

luckyluca wrote:

Also, the scsi port at the back is closed, does it mean that it is missing the scsi port?

The SCSI interface was optional, so it probably doesn't have it.

luckyluca wrote:

Not having floppies, is there a way to import/export songs sounds programs/combis any other way?

A couple of possibilities:

• Replace Triton floppy drive with a 3.5 Inch 1.44Mb USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator

• Use MIDI sysex bulk data dumps to save and load the same data

• Purchase some 1.44Mb Floppy Disks

The first two options have extra requirements for external device compatibility and software.

The Triton Extreme is the only Triton that has USB ports for computer host connection and external storage. The Triton Extreme might be a better choice if you can find a good deal on one.
luckyluca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Worth buying a Triton classic? Reply with quote

Many thanks,

I'll likely look into the usb floppy option if I get the keyboard.

I heard a difference from the Trinity is that the Triton doesn't come with pressure-sensitive ribbon?

Also, do you know if it plays string guitar / lead-guitar sounds as nicely as the Trinity?

I'm honestly remember how clear and nice the Trinity sounds were, does the Triton feel on-par to you?

I would be keen on the Triton because 1) I can find one nearby in good conditions for $380 2) The arpeggiator possibilities 3) Faster touchscreen.

Best
Luca
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Worth buying a Triton classic? Reply with quote

luckyluca wrote:
Many thanks,

You're welcome - Yes, I think the USB Floppy emulator would be the best option.

There is a ribbon controller below the XY joystick on the Triton, yes.

Here's a link to all the available Triton Classic downloads from Korg, including the manuals. https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/214/

I've never owned a Trinity - though from reading through this forum, there are differences in the sound quality compared to the Triton. The Trinity has better filters with more options. But the Trinity only had 24 MB of sample ROM. So it's it's a subjective call I think.
luckyluca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little follow up,

how do you access the joystick diagnostic/calibration menu?

by doing that, would I wipe existing presets/sounds?

oh and in order to factory reset it, does it require floppies? could I do it by sysex if having the floppy files on my pc?

Oh and does it have a battery or replaceable battery?
(some confusion about this last point Smile
Best!
recreational

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Battery: There is no battery that powers the KORG Triton. It's AC-only.

re: Floppy/sysex: It's much more reliable to obtain an old computer and use legitimate floppy disks with a legitimate floppy drive and update or restore the Triton that way.

I do not believe sysex updating is possible on the Triton, nor is it something I have ever heard of.

re: joystick: There is no joystick diagnostic and calibration menu, if I recall correctly (this is not a video game controller). So I can't tell you how to access a menu that doesn't exist.

You're thinking awfully hard about this. The Triton is pretty old hardware. There are far less complicated, and far more affordable solutions to your dilemma.

There are Triton and TR-rack modules available on ebay for nearly the same price as the software Triton series. Whether or not you should buy something is up to you.

P.S. all the anti-Triton hate in the 90's is of the same baseless, neurotic, envious variety as today's budding anti-Nautilus hate. Trinity users seemed to believe that there was some superior sonic quality to the Trinity as opposed to the Triton, without any real claims to back that up (just like how today's niche hardware owners still make up similar nonsense when they see their big-ticket features implemented in less-elitist products

If you liked your Trinity back in the day, you'll love a Triton today. I wouldn't wait forever. These synths are still very much in demand in hardware form. Sounds like you're looking at an 88, as well. Even more reason to buy it.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:

re: joystick: There is no joystick diagnostic and calibration menu, if I recall correctly (this is not a video game controller). So I can't tell you how to access a menu that doesn't exist.

The joystick calibration is done in the factory, or by a Korg tech.

blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the Triton a lot of hits where made with the sounds on that keyboard. Its sound banks available from Korg for the modern keyboards and DAW's and are still used in the Kronos, Naughtyless and the Krome to this day so don't think it will feel out the loop sound wise.

Between the Trinity and Triton. I've never heard about the difference. Only thing that matters is if you want a sampler or not. The Trinity was just forgotten the moment the Triton came out because the Triton had a sampler otherwise they sound the same. If you can get the MOSS EXB and put it into your Triton than you have it made. If you can get your hands on some of the other EXB's you're in for a treat.

I would recommend what the other dude said about getting an emulator drive off ebay. It will make it more useful. If you have a space where you're adding in old gear alongside new gear it can be a headache to manage but the updated drives and storage devices can make life a lot easier when working with old gear.

Don't worry about getting or using old Keyboards. Maybe in some youtube producers bedroom they have to have the latest and greatest but in a real studio you'll find all kinds of old and new stuff laying about. Old stuff has its charm too.

Only downside where the Triton lacks are the Piano sounds compared to what's out there now but nobody is really chasing old acoustic ROM sounds unless it's on a Yamaha SY keyboard or Roland JV box anyway.
seqpro3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a korg triton it’s good for strings organs and pads. Never used the sampler. When I bought it new it was $2000 dollars.I remember the trinity
As well. King of the romplers. Good for conventional sounds. Workstation Wizard. They were all the rage back in the day. I played a korg kronus.
Didn’t end up getting one. I remember the oasis as well. PCM based
Synthisis does a great job at emulating real instruments.
seqpro3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the triton is a better synth. I wanted to get a trinity rack but didn’t.I got the Z1 instead. There were different reiterations of the triton. I even remember the tube one they released. Not sure how long the run of the triton lasted. Korg like Roland rehashes a lot of thier synth technology. I remember that they used the oasis technology in the triton when the oasis was a prototype and hadn’t been released yet. That was an expensive keyboard.
I have a lot of rompler type synths. They excell at what they do and have thier place. I have a moog voyager and a sequential pro3. Thier my two favorite synths. The keyboard action on both are excellent. Thetritons actionisnt as good.I believe the moog voyager and the sequential pro3 use fatar actions there’s a big difference especially if you have chops you can tell the difference. But it’s not an apple to apple comparison because the company’s market different types of musical instruments. Moog and sequential are smaller and more of a boutique type of operation verses korg being a giant corporation. Moog has built its reputation on analog monophonic
Synths even though they have released analog poly synths. As did sequential
The Minimoog and the prophet 5 are probably the most iconic synths in history. The triton was used by alot of people and it was the synth to have back in the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: