Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencer Memory Limit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusk Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Sequencer Memory Limit Reply with quote

Hi,

Page 55 of the Op guide says that the Kross2 sequencer has a limit of 216k MIDI events over a maximum of 128 songs. My questions are how Drum Tracks and ARPs and song sections work within this storage limit.

1. If I use a Drum Track or ARP in a sequencer song then do all those individual drum hits count as midi events or is there one event registering the start / stop of the Drum Track/ARP?

2. If large chunks of songs are copied (e.g. for similar verses or choruses) then does that just double the number of events or can the Kross recognize that as a repeated section and save memory?

I suppose 216k sounds like a lot but it works out as only 7 events per second over 128 four minute songs... Not much room for anything but the hi-hat at that rate.

Thanks

DD
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following may be incorrect, but I believe the limit is per .SNG file, so it should be possible to have any number of .SNG files on an SD card, each containing 128 Song slots, totalling up to 210,000 MIDI events per .SNG file.

Individual drum hits, and ARP notes will each count as a MIDI event.

Controller movements can be real MIDI event hogs, as each step change resolved in a controller's position will generate a MIDI event.

Last edited by voip on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. I would think an event to start/stop the Drum track/ARP. In the end you can also not edit on a per hit/note basis. Good tip: look in the track edit page for the events
2. Copying patterns will indeed, yes copy the associated events. There is no such mode to create structure in the song.

Now as you present it, 216k events is limited. But I think the 128 is simply too much. I think this maximum is a bit virtual and misleading. It is there simply because it fits in a 7 bit field as 128 appears everywhere in the MIDI spec.

You can always swap in and swap out songs using the SD card. Note that Krome does not do better and Kronos only slightly (400K).

Have fun.
Dusk Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

If I can simply load new SNG files then that is not too much of an issue. It only takes a few seconds after all and the SD card is plenty big.

For a moment there I thought I was going to have to shell out on another piece of electronic equipment but I think the Kross can handle it.

Thanks again

DD
Dusk Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

It seems there is some truth in what you are both saying about this.

If I set track 10 to a drum kit but record the drum track's start and stop on another track I can do an 800 bar test song using just under 1% memory. All that is recorded are 2 <<EXCL>> events although I am suspicious that each bar has a hidden one because the drum track starts every time I change the song location. Also I was down to 98% memory soon after starting the second test so some extra stuff is being recorded behind the scenes and there is more of it the longer the song is.

If I use the same drum pattern but record on track 10 then all the drum midi data is recorded as events and the same 800 bar song uses ~16% of the memory.

Just a shame you can't do user defined drum tracks really. As much as I love the Kross2 for what it can do I am always left thinking "Why can't it do that???"

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: