Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does load with PCG mean?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: What does load with PCG mean? Reply with quote

Sorry but I never could understand this part of loading songs from the sequencer.

The Kronos gives you the option to load PCG or Load SNG or load both if you select a box.

If I load SNG. without selecting PCG I get the same recording I made playing back the same way with midi and audio files. If I select load with PCG I also get the exact same result.

What does load with PCG mean? and what's the difference if I load it with or without?

I read the manual but I dunno I didn't really understand that part.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCG means "Program/Combi/Global". If you load a SNG file, and check the "Load PCG" box, it will attempt to load a PCG file having the same name as the SNG file (except ending in PCG) assuming one exists. If it does, it will replace your songs with the SNG file, and it will replace your Programs Combis and Global settings with the PCG.

This allows you to save the state of all your programs and Combis with the SNG file, so that you could restore everything to the way it was when you worked on the song. You may (or may not) want that.

Let's say you modified a piano program and saved it. Then you worked on a song using that piano program. Let's say you saved the SNG file, and the PCG file (or did a Save All which creates both of them).

Now, a year later you modify that same piano program to be completely different, work on some other songs using it. Then you want to go back to that previous song. It won't sound the same because you overwrote your original modifications. But if you were to load the PCG from before you would get your piano program back the way it was and your song would sound the same.

On the other hand, let's say you tweak the piano program and decide it's way better than what you had before, Now you want to load your old SNG file and try it with the new program. If you chose"Load PCG", it would load the old piano program and wipe out your new tweaks. That's why you have to think about what you're doing. Wink

Note that there's no need to load a SNG file and a PCG file at the same time by using that checkbox. It's just supposed to be a convenience. You can freely load the PCG file later by itself or not, without affecting the songs.

In your case, if you never modified any programs or combis, and you did a SAVE ALL so that you have a PCG, then loading the SNG file with our without the PCG is not going to sound any different because the PCG file is the same as all the programs combis and global settings that you already have in there.

Hope that made some sense. Wink

blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woa!

Thank you! Thank you! Verymuch for that detailed explanation.

I didn't know you could save your program adjustments individually to the program you customized them for instead of globally. That's a game changer... I have to fool around with that. Freaking Amazing.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything StephenKay said is spot-on.

blazerunner wrote:

I didn't know you could save your program adjustments individually to the program you customized them for instead of globally

In sequencer mode, there are some parameters that can be adjusted to a program pointed to by a sequencer track and stored in the .SNG file, that is true.

But in general you must ensure you are using the same programs you used when you wrote and saved the song. To do this, you should save a PGC file along with the SNG file (or Save all). And when you do later load that PGC file (either as a separate operation or as part of loading a .SNG file), understand that all Programs, Global data, and Combis in that PGC file will overwrite the corresponding current keyboard memory. So in that sense it is all global, not local to just programs in a sequence you may have changed.

Like Combination timbres, sequencer tracks simply point to a Bank and Program. If you commonly modify and/or load different programs and combis from time to time, you need to manage that content as PGC files using some configuration management strategy of your own. Always saving a PGC file with your SNG file with the same name is typically part of this strategy, as well as performing a Save All periodically and always before loading any new content.

Note that there is no special place allocated in a .SNG file or in the workstation memory for storing actual programs used by songs in that SNG file (meaning copy by value not copy by reference). Only the references or pointers to those programs are stored in the .SNG file. To actually have a dedicated scratch pad area in the song file and in workstation memory to store and load programs used in a sequencer song would have been a great feature addition somewhere along the line of Korg workstation OS development to simplify the user experience of managing songs and the programs used by them. Alas, that didn't happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: