Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes ahead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t think of a better way to drum up sales of the remaining in stock PA4X’s than to announce its discontinuation without ANY mention of its replacement!

And the reverse is also true… Announce its replacement is in the pipeline, dangle some information about next gen capabilities or things like that, you pretty much ensure that the remaining stock of the current model will either have to be steeply discounted or languish on the shelves.

Korg ain’t no dummies LOL
mabcomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
The built in drum kits on the 4x are fantastic with a little tweaking and a mix. I've had drummers convinced it was the real thing once the ambient levels, EQ, and reverb was set. The factory kits use normalized and compressed samples with really warm saturation and close micing with no bleed at all. The ambient mix can simulate overheads and after a carefully set reverb send you can get a huge tight real sound. They are sampled from the real thing (dozens of signature kits edited to precision) and there are many ways to do round robin (subtle pitch EG, Amp EG, and LFO)

And I agree!
mabcomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Discontinued Soon Reply with quote

Dont worry we will all be discontinued soon
mabcomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Discontinued Soon Reply with quote

Dont worry we will all be discontinued soon
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes ahead? Reply with quote

mabcomp wrote:
I think the PA4X is the best arranger keyboard around by far and I see no reason why the Kronos has to be promoted all the time as the stage professional keyboard. The Nord Stage 3 is overrated in my opinion and overpriced. The Genos may have good sounds like the PA4X but as soon as you put your hands on the keyboard you are whisked back to Woolworths Bontempi land.

Well ya gotta create a bit of controversy now and again its half the fun of a forum.

Any successor to the PA4X in sight yet?

3 different keys (arranger, workstation, stage piano).

Your opinion is that of an arranger player.. workstation players and stage piano players will totally disagree with your statement
mabcomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
But if a reasonable discussion about why the Kronos/Nautilus is touted as a more ‘professional’ stage keyboard, and wonder why it is considered Korg’s flagship, let me point out a few things the PA4X could sorely do with…

For starters, how about 12 freely assignable insert effects..? God knows, we could sure use that! Next is the higher resolution and larger touch screen. Admittedly, Korg have made the Kronos GUI a little fiddle in places, but that’s a function of the GUI design, not the hardware itself. The PAX series badly needs a bump in resolution and clarity, and hopefully the design team will make better choices that the Kronos’s did.

How about the modeled analog synth section? Proper analog behavior, not an approximation. The pop world is moving more and more towards synth sounds again, be nice to have a more modern engine, more contemporary lead synth sounds…

And the bump in CPU power would likely give us snappier response and more polyphony.

There’s an awful lot to like about the Kronos/Nautilus. It’s only problem to us arranger players is, it isn’t an arranger! But those abilities aren’t needed by the vast majority of live band and studio players. So how about not saying the PA4X is ‘better’ (all it is is a better arranger than the Kronos!) but concentrate on encouraging Korg to finally drop the decades old hardware and software powering the PA4X, replace it with the hardware engine from the Nautilus, and design an arranger with current gen capabilities?

Win/win!
No one said it is better than the Kronos I just said its just as good and as useful on Stage. The PA4X has gone way beyond your home Keyboard
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slipping back to the OP:-
mabcomp wrote:
I think the PA4X is the best arranger keyboard around by far and I see no reason why the Kronos has to be promoted all the time as the stage professional keyboard. The Nord Stage 3 is overrated in my opinion and overpriced. The Genos may have good sounds like the PA4X but as soon as you put your hands on the keyboard you are whisked back to Woolworths Bontempi land.

Well ya gotta create a bit of controversy now and again its half the fun of a forum.

Any successor to the PA4X in sight yet?

Totally agree and, NO, nothing in sight yet - we sit in anticipation with masks on and needles in our arms Wink
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just the Pa 4X.

Take a look on websites for the Kronos.

They are hard to find and some retailers still have a page for them but they are not saying they are available to order, they are pointing at other makes and models.

Korg is in limbo.

With the downturn in gigs and live music where is the market for Korg’s expensive keyboards?

Which market segments are the ones where sales will continue?

Are Korg way behind Yamaha in terms of new arrangers, yes they sure are?

Hopefull the New Year will see some Korg activity.
usaraiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope for some encouragement or reassurance from Korg in an announcement before every ounce of morale is lost! Doom & Gloom ahead?
Unlikely, but they have an obligation to their loyal customer base to keep us informed, one way or another, not keep us in Limbo!
Sad
Uday
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:

Yes, Yamaha are definitely ahead of Korg in terms of NEW arrangers - unfortunately (and luckily for Korg), not better ones (IMHO).

Korg is silent (maybe they all are right now). The world is experiencing unprecedented times so I no longer have any expectations really in terms of seeing "new gear" any time soon.
Someone on our forums recently mentioned that our gigs have dropped significantly which further reduces the justification to upgrade gear.
Instrument manufacturers must be tearing their hair out right now - huge R&D costs with uncertain business results - I wouldn't wish to be a part of that!!

Just stay safe and play Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Biggles wrote:

Yes, Yamaha are definitely ahead of Korg in terms of NEW arrangers - unfortunately (and luckily for Korg), not better ones (IMHO).

Korg is silent (maybe they all are right now). The world is experiencing unprecedented times so I no longer have any expectations really in terms of seeing "new gear" any time soon.
Someone on our forums recently mentioned that our gigs have dropped significantly which further reduces the justification to upgrade gear.
Instrument manufacturers must be tearing their hair out right now - huge R&D costs with uncertain business results - I wouldn't wish to be a part of that!!

Just stay safe and play Very Happy

Totally agree.

I have tried and listened to both SX models and the Genos and whilst the acoustic piano sounds are great to my ears the rest especially the brass are harsh and over bright.

The Yamaha OS is a work of art for anyone trying to find their way around it.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always rate arrangers based on two totally separate categories.

First are the raw ROM sounds. Not only do they integrate with each other well (the biggest, fattest everything added together equals a muddy stodgy mix - for sounds to be combined, care is needed that they bed together well). But do they work by themselves in a band situation? I definitely love using arrangers with bands, they are joys to work with live, sound navigation and ease of setting up splits and layers are generally orders of magnitude simpler than TOTL workstations. It’s easy enough to to get a sound to work well when up against compressed dynamics arranger drums and rhythm sections, but how well do they stand up to a real drummer and a live rhythm section?

I see little point in having to learn two different keyboards to do essentially one task… playing with a rhythm section!

Then I start to look at the raw power of the sound engine. Polyphony, independent effects, master effects, number of possible control inputs, from buttons knobs and sliders to control pedal and footswitch inputs, responsiveness of a touch screen (if it has one), stuff like that. How easy is it to play? Do I need to plan my effects use carefully because there aren’t enough? Can I put changing setups on footswitches, or turn on/off the Leslie, or performance things like alternate fingering sounds for saxes, or harmonics for guitars, because I only got two hands and they are already busy playing!

They aren’t your normal priorities of many arranger players, but at the end of the day, I’d rather have one keyboard that does both jobs well than have to learn two totally different keyboards.

An awful lot of where you are coming from as a player decides your priorities when deciding what’s ’best’. And, I don’t doubt, you go to a Genos forum and you’ll hear the EXACT same arguments used there to justify their choice as you do here!

So, in the end, it’s possibly the hardware that is the only objective way to differentiate between models. I’m pretty sure you put ANY modern TOTL arranger in my hands, I can make great music with it. But how easy it is can vary greatly. I have to confess, not having to think for one second about any associated effects a sound needs when I want to use it, not having to decide if I need to pull an effect off another sound so I’ve got it to use on another, that’s quite a freeing experience. Being able to run something through one effect, and then into yet another (and another!) without worrying about whatever other sounds I’m using is a quantum leap forward.

We can only dream..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: