Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XVP-10 or EXP-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dienekes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: XVP-10 or EXP-2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm going to buy a volume-expression pedal, there are two models calles as XVP-10 and EXP-2 avaible from Korg. Their prices are quite different, XVP is far more expensive then the other one. The thing that I want to know is, is there anybody who can tell differences between these pedals?

Thanks!
michelet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dienekes

I bought EXP-2 several years ago for my old Korg T1 that I used from 1991 to 2003. I remember that this product is not very precise, expecially changing from low to high volumes (CC#7).
I have also connected the same EXP-2 to the TR76 but it's still very difficult to operate and in a while you change from low to high volumes and this is not progressive at all.
In other words if the range is from 0 to 10, when the pedal is completely down you have volume = 0, when the pedal is 1/3 you have volume = 5 and when the pedal is 2/3 you have volume = 10.

I think you should look for XVP-10.

Best regards
Michele
Haniaudio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelet wrote:

I bought EXP-2 several years ago for my old Korg T1 that I used from 1991 to 2003. I remember that this product is not very precise, expecially changing from low to high volumes (CC#7).
I have also connected the same EXP-2 to the TR76 but it's still very difficult to operate and in a while you change from low to high volumes and this is not progressive at all.
In other words if the range is from 0 to 10, when the pedal is completely down you have volume = 0, when the pedal is 1/3 you have volume = 5 and when the pedal is 2/3 you have volume = 10.
Michele

On the basis of this description, the pedal seems to need calibration !!
Any clarification?
Ceyhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: XVP-10 or EXP-2 Reply with quote

Dienekes wrote:
Hello,

I'm going to buy a volume-expression pedal, there are two models calles as XVP-10 and EXP-2 avaible from Korg. Their prices are quite different, XVP is far more expensive then the other one. The thing that I want to know is, is there anybody who can tell differences between these pedals?

Thanks!

I still wonder this, what are the differences between XVP20 and EXP2, any info?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the obvious cosmetic differences, the EXP-2 pedal uses a 100k potentiometer for the expression function, whilst the XVP-10 and XVP-20 pedals use a 50k pot.

Korg keyboards having a pedal input, generally use this as a potentiometer (three terminals), rather than as a variable resistor (two terminals), so the difference in potentiometer specification should make very little difference. However, for the pedal to work properly with the instrument, a stereo, or TRS lead is required, and needs to be fully inserted. The pedal will not work correctly with a mono or TS lead.

The EXP-2 pedal connections, which are on either side of the pedal, are more vulnerable to being damaged by an incorrectly placed foot during a performance, than the XVP-10 and XVP-20 connections, which are all at the rear of the pedal.

Ceyhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Apart from the obvious cosmetic differences, the EXP-2 pedal uses a 100k potentiometer for the expression function, whilst the XVP-10 and XVP-20 pedals use a 50k pot.

Korg keyboards having a pedal input, generally use this as a potentiometer (three terminals), rather than as a variable resistor (two terminals), so the difference in potentiometer specification should make very little difference. However, for the pedal to work properly with the instrument, a stereo, or TRS lead is required, and needs to be fully inserted. The pedal will not work correctly with a mono or TS lead.

The EXP-2 pedal connections, which are on either side of the pedal, are more vulnerable to being damaged by an incorrectly placed foot during a performance, than the XVP-10 and XVP-20 connections, which are all at the rear of the pedal.

So Voip, If I just want to control a filter of a patch (ie. cutoff), both can do the job, right?
I've got a new Grandstage now, it has delicious fat synth sounds but hard to control, nothing on modwheel except vibrato. We can't program what modwheel does, so would it be possible to adress one of the filters (cutoff/resonance etc.) via these pedals? Thanks for the info.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voice Name (VNL) List for the Grandstage is a useful reource in that it details, for each keyboard type, and Variation, the effects that the available controls have on the sound. The controls listed in the VNL are Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, SW1, SW2, and the four different Edit settings. For the Synth category, when Edit1 or Edit2 are selected by the Variation knob after pressing the Edit button, the Level knob will control the Filter Cutoff or Filter Resonance, respectively.

The Pedal input can be user configured. It is set to control Expression (CC#11) by default, but other CC# can be assigned to the pedal. So, to control Resonance, try setting the Pedal parameter to CC#71, and for Cutoff, set it to CC#74.

The Grandstage documentation, including VNL, is here:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/751/

Ceyhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is good news, first lets buy an EXP pedal to try that out Idea Thank you so much I will share the results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: