Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyphony Bug, Or Just Me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Polyphony Bug, Or Just Me? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Something has been bothering me about the Wavestate's polyphony modes and while it's super easy for me to reproduce it, I never see anybody else talking about it.

There is, to my mind at least, a bug in the way voices are allocated when you have selected a static number of voices for a program. To reproduce it I follow these steps:

1. Load init performance
2. Go to Program Setup (Perform, Right 4x) and set Hold to ON
3. Go to Voice Assign (Right 1x from last step) and set mode to Poly, Max# of notes to 3
4. Play a 3 note chord.
5. Play another 3 note chord.

Without fail, whilst all the previously sounding voices will cut off as expected, only a single note of the second chord while sound.

This only happens when the voice allocation is maxed out. EG If you have only one voice sounding and play a chord, the sounding voice will cut and then all three voices of the chord will sound. You can test by repeatedly playing chords and hearing how it will alternate between all voices and a single voice.

Unfortunately this severely limits the useability of the static polyphony setting! Since I have never seen anybody else talking about this... Are other people able to duplicate this behaviour?

edit: just to clarify, the bug only happens in the following situation
a) static voice allocation is at maximum
b) the incoming chord is the same number of notes as the max voices
LosAngeles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same result. Oddly enough, the voice stealing display doesn’t show any voices being ‘stolen,’ which I feel it should be..
Bozzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavestate, and it seems also Modwave (maybe also Opsix?) definitely suffer from voice allocation problems.
It occurs quite frequently that a still being held key's voice(s) will get "stolen" from new played keys, while there are other "free" voices from already released keys still playing their release phase.
This has no sense to me. Released key's voice(s) should be cut-out before other actively playing ones (keys still being held down). This renders playing a drone quite impossible.
It's very strange for Korg, which builds synhesizers since the dawn of time, to make mistakes like that. There must be a reason... but which one?
sparkse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit- doublepost

Last edited by sparkse on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:23 am; edited 4 times in total
sparkse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Wavestate, and it seems also Modwave (maybe also Opsix?) definitely suffer from voice allocation problems.
It occurs quite frequently that a still being held key's voice(s) will get "stolen" from new played keys, while there are other "free" voices from already released keys still playing their release phase.
This has no sense to me. Released key's voice(s) should be cut-out before other actively playing ones (keys still being held down). This renders playing a drone quite impossible.
It's very strange for Korg, which builds synhesizers since the dawn of time, to make mistakes like that. There must be a reason... but which one?

Interesting that the modwave has a similar problem! Would be great if this could get looked at as it makes it really unreliable to use any polyphony setting than dynamic or mono. I really would like to be able to, for example, restrict my juno-like synth patches to 6 voices. Not just "more authentic" but for instance limiting the number of release tails helps keep a pad sound cleaner. As it is it's practically unusable since you run the risk of accidentally cutting all notes off bar one, when what you intended was to play a chord! Other uses for me include managing polyphony on complex performances that might include chords, leads and rhythmic elements.

Sadly I've mentioned it in a few places now and it never seems to get any traction, which strikes me as weird because it's such an obvious glitch.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

That shouldn't occur (literally - the software doesn't work that way). If you can provide a repeatable example, I'll check it out!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
sparkse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

That shouldn't occur (literally - the software doesn't work that way). If you can provide a repeatable example, I'll check it out!

sorry to hijack this hijack.. but were you able to recreate the issue described in the original post?

I have no problems easily reproducing it on my end and can provide a video of how to do so if necessary. One thing I will note is that it does not show up on the display as voice stealing, but you can verify that the number of notes sounding is incorrect - eg., performance note allocation is set to 5. I play a chord of 5 notes, 10 voices are sounding. I play the next chord of five notes, and while voice stealing remains always at 0, only 2 voices will sound - a single note.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to switch into this here - as I am seriously considering getting me a Wavestate..

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkse wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

sorry to hijack this hijack.. but were you able to recreate the issue described in the original post?

I have no problems easily reproducing it on my end and can provide a video of how to do so if necessary. One thing I will note is that it does not show up on the display as voice stealing, but you can verify that the number of notes sounding is incorrect - eg., performance note allocation is set to 5. I play a chord of 5 notes, 10 voices are sounding. I play the next chord of five notes, and while voice stealing remains always at 0, only 2 voices will sound - a single note.

By "Performance note allocation," do you mean Program Max # of Notes? Does this happen only if you set Max # of Notes to something other than Dynamic?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
sparkse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

By "Performance note allocation," do you mean Program Max # of Notes? Does this happen only if you set Max # of Notes to something other than Dynamic?

yes and yes, exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: