Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M1 global menu help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Korg M1 global menu help please Reply with quote

Hi ,

I recently purchased a korg m1 which I believe to be working , however after replacing the battery and then attempting to reload the sounds downloaded from the korg site via a suitable app and a midi interface linking to the computer ... I find I’m unable to access the “ global menu “ . To be honest I’m unsure if this was access prior to the battery swap .

Does the m1 need to be linked via midi interface to be able to access that menu or should it be accessible regardless ? . Switch press seems fine ... thought I’d come here to ask for a little help .

Thanks in advance 👍

Paul
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Global menu needs to be accessible in order to do a SysEx data dump to the M1. If the Global menu remains inaccessible, it might be due to corruption during the SysEx dump. Not all MIDI interfaces are equal or up to the task, particularly the cheap Chinese ones on eBay. If disconnectnig the MIDI interface from the M1 and rebooting, doesn't allow Global menus to be accessed, then consider removing the Lithium battery for a few minutes, to reset the memory contents.

stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply . I have a usb midi interface from roland but have attempted to even connect it yet as it went on hold when I couldn’t access the global menu . I’ll try removing the fresh battery again and giving it a few minutes before inserting it again
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't answer all of the question. The Global menus should be available regardless of any external MIDI device being connected, since it is here that settings like pedal assignment and damper polarity, transpose, and scale type are made.

stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the reload data via midi probably be unavailable then do you think ? I definitely can’t get into the global menu at all . The INT and PROG are lit at power up but I don’t know if that’s correct for startup . I’d have to assume a faulty button / contact switch or other internal problem . I can access sounds from an external card when inserted , and even without that card inserted I do get sound ... ableit just a piano sound . Could the error derive from a failed previous transfer ? Does the battery need to be removed for a certain amount of time ? I swapped the new one in immediately without leaving any time in between
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INT and PROG switches being lit is the correct behaviour on boot up. You could try pressing the Global switch a little harder (but not too hard) to see if it is a poor switch contact. Is it possible the wiring from the Global switch board may have been disturbed during the battery change? Removing the cover and giving the board interconnects a wiggle may help. A rapid battery change may cause issues with memory data bits being left in indeterminate states. It would be better to let the RAM power back up circuitry discharge completely and perform a SysEx reload.

stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 👍
stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to remove the switch board of the M1 without removing the keybed ? To my limited knowledge and this tutorial it looks as if that may be possible ?

http://bustedgear.com/repair_Korg_M1_buttons_5.html

Removing the keybed looks a little more complex and will result in more bits than I want to reassemble . I only want to inspect the switches .

Thanks in advance
stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cursor keys appear to work fine but I’m not convinced any of the bank of buttons around the global button actually work as pressing any of them doesn’t do anything . They will shift in colour using the cursor keys when an external card is inserted but beyond that they do nothing when pressed . The 0 on the numeric side will light when pressed and maybe the SEQ does but nothing else in that area does . Does the switch board have a ribbon cable on its underside ? I suppose it’s that I’m trying to get to as simply as possible
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one PCB carrying all of the front panel controls, with several interconnect cables. It could be one of those that has developed a problem, or has been disconnected, but more likely one of the chips on the main board is the issue.

stormtrooperpaul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually tried a different switchboard to which I’d fitted new switches . All switches now appear to work other than the global button . This to me would rule out the switchboard or the looms being faulty . I also reseated the 2 eproms. does anyone know what would be best to check next ? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: