Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Kronos Challenge's Out there like Roland Fantom's 4X4 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Any Kronos Challenge's Out there like Roland Fantom's 4X4 ? Reply with quote

I have watched a lot of Roland Fantom 4x4 challenges and they look easier record quickly on, just wonder has anyone done a Kronos challenge to record a whole track in a few minutes? I'd love to see some if anyone knows of any video's/ links out there.

I have not recorded much on my Kronos as I use Ableton but I would like to get into it more so I don't have to put the computer on. I normally use a Zoom Pro when recording on the fly as it's so easy.

Would be great to see some if anyone is up to it, not sure I am ready myself yet.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you run into a bit of an apples-to-apples problem here.

The Fantom is basically a groovebox with some software synthesis capabilities and a keyboard. Banging out a quick set of chords and slapping them into a pattern, then plugging patterns together is not a big challenge in that structure, and the KORG linear sequencing model isn't quite as optimised for that sort of thing.

However, if you look at challenges such as OHC (the One Hour Compo) workstations can do perfectly well in them.

I have done something pretty similar to this set of challenges live, as well as in the studio using sequencers that deliver patterns quickly. The Social Entropy Engine is fun, fast and effective, and the Akai Professional Force does a great job as well.

The good news is that you can sequence the Kronos externally, so you could even use something like a Polyend Tracker to sequence it, and the results can be amazingly fast.

If you want to do something along these lines with a Kronos or a Krome, but all in the one device, what you should learn to do is quickly layer a few sounds - perhaps using a combination to kickstart a rhythm section and pad before recording a melody over that. This should get you a minute and a half of music with time to spare.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

The Fantom is basically a groovebox with some software synthesis capabilities and a keyboard.

That's not really fair to say. That's like when people would call the Kronos a computer with a bunch of software engines back in the day. The Fantom is just a work station like any other but streamlined to get ideas down quicker without the hair pulling experience that the Kronos has to do the same. You could never have a 4minute challenge on the Kronos because it would take you that long alone just to boot it up and scroll through the menu. Laughing

As a connoisseur of the Kronos's sequencer though I would say that the Kronos doesn't have a 4x4 challenge because the sequencer is both outdated and overly complex. The Fantom is an idea machine with the goal of helping musicians get song ideas down fast so all the tools you need are quick and easy to access. So you could just throw down a song in 4 minutes in no time. On the Kronos I'd say a 10 minutes challenge would be more accurate.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t know what a 4x4 challenge is, but I can start recording as quickly as I need on my Kronos just fine when the mood strikes.

I don’t care if it sets a land speed record or not, as long as it is efficient enough for me to do so when the mood strikes. A couple of quick button presses is enough for me. YMMV
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Don’t know what a 4x4 challenge is

It's this challenge to make a full and complete song in 4 minutes or less, using 4 chords, and 4 of their analog sound engines. It's kind of a dope idea because it highlights the features on the Fantom and challenges peoples ability to be creative.

I mean yeah you could make a song that quick on anything with some inspiration but when you watch the vids you see people doing stuff to modify their sounds that you couldn't "just do" on the Kronos so quickly. Not without some page turning and parameter adjusting. It's kind of cool. Roland really made a workable interface on the Fantom.

I like Roland just as much as Korg so I've no biased. Some gear is just more fun to use and jump into than others. The Kronos is a hair puller.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a clever Fantom Marketing / PR stunt by Roland. I think it's a great idea! I wonder if they'd let me participate using my Roland MT-32 instead of a Fantom? Probably not.

It is yielding mostly meh so-so looped sketches. Of course the usual youtube promoters / influencers have thrown their hats in the ring first, garnering lots of view counts. I'd like to see contributions by heretofore unknown "regular folk" too!

I think the Kronos could work in a similar style contest. Maybe focus not on the 4 minutes but in producing quickly a quality song that you would actually want to listen to more than once.

"Load Song Template" could be used to jump start the sequencer setup as you choose various preset drum patterns to populate the number of measures you want for the length of your song. Maybe copy a favorite combi into tracks 8-16. Set a repeating loop for all tracks. Record each track in turn. After recording, play back sequence selecting Play or Mute on various tracks as it loops for variation. It could work! It'll probably sound better than the blips and bleeps of the Fantom.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a good way to market the keyboard and showcase how fast you can navigate it and throw a track together.

It's a keyboard speed contests. I mean I hope Roland would win they've only had a decade to finally make a Keyboard to compete with the Kronos Laughing . They should have all the quick go-to features by now.

I look at the Fantom as the Keyboard that the Jupiter 80 should have been. They focused on adding a lot of "performance" features on the Jupiter for that kind of music production workflow but then tossed the keyboard out the window when no one wanted to pay $4K for that experience.

Usually if I'm not here bugging you guys I'm on the Roland forums and sometimes the vibe is about the same when it comes asking for features and updates. Back in the day that Jupiter 80 thread was a very long one full of disappointment. Not that I ever think any of these companies ever check these forums to listen but a lot of the stuff people wanted or complained about the JP-80 not having were features Roland put on the Fantom.

I cross my fingers hoping we get the same experience from Korg with a Kronos Successor.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Koekepan wrote:

The Fantom is basically a groovebox with some software synthesis capabilities and a keyboard.

That's not really fair to say. That's like when people would call the Kronos a computer with a bunch of software engines back in the day. The Fantom is just a work station like any other but streamlined to get ideas down quicker without the hair pulling experience that the Kronos has to do the same. You could never have a 4minute challenge on the Kronos because it would take you that long alone just to boot it up and scroll through the menu. Laughing

I call the Fantom a groovebox with a keyboard because that is, in essence, what it is. It's all clip/rotation based. It doesn't have a linear mode, period. In fact, the workaround of getting a linear sequencer by indefinitely extending a single clip doesn't work; it's explicitly limited in the Fantom.

The Akai Professional Force has a better claim to be a workstation, because (aside from details of exactly which synthesis model applies) you can do everything that the Fantom does, and do it linearly by extending a clip indefinitely.

I can also slap together something in four minutes, using four chords across four tracks in the Krome (granted all rompler) by just using direct entry in the track edit mode, but you know what else? I could do the exact same thing, faster and with more sophistication using the MicroArranger, which also has a better claim to being a workstation.

If Roland had wanted to be taken seriously as a manufacturer of workstations, they could have started with: "Could a music student readily assemble a fugue, a madrigal or a grand sonata on this?" and the answer of course is resoundingly negative, because you'd constantly be straying over clip boundaries every time you tried to manage a polyphonic line. On the Krome, Kronos or even the little Kross it's more feasible. Or, as I said above, the Force.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

I call the Fantom a groovebox with a keyboard because that is, in essence, what it is.

Well I would imagine it's sequencer is similar to "Roland's" GrooveBox's because that is "Roland's" signature technology and style of sequencing all of their current equipment shares. The Fantom is just a more advanced version of it.

But you are just talking about a style of sequencing. Not the whole keyboard itself. It might have that patented "Groovebox" style sequencer Roland is known for but that doesn't make it a "Groovebox" with a keybed. When it has so many other features. Like so many Kronos users...you might never even bother to touch the sequencer on the Fantom... and then what would you call it?

I gotta to be honest but you just sound like a Roland hater. Over the years I've listened to so many people whine about Roland products but when you go in professional studios you see that very same equipment people whine about all over the place getting used and putting in work. So they must be doing something right.

I believe Roland stuck with their sequencer because that's pretty much how people structure music now. You mentioned the Force. That was a nice pick. I own the Force...had the One...and the MPC-X. They all use the same "Loop" structure of making tracks. Set your bars, throw in your beat or chords and "loop" city it is.

I mean you could be creative on anything but I would challenge anyone trying to fool themselves about the Kronos doing blow for blow what that Fantom is doing in 4 minutes. We all know it can't be done. The Kronos doesn't have the quick access knobs and sliders like the Fantom does. It literally has a whole button layout on it just for tweaking synths. You'd be spending a solid 2 minutes flipping pages trying to get those same tweeks just to edit your sounds.

Come on my guy just give credit where it's due. Roland made one heck of a streamlined product... and Korg put out what to streamline the Kronos? The Nautilus? Like that's not a head splitting nightmare. A Kronos with less buttons and sliders.

We all know the number 1 complaint about the Kronos is how complicated it is to use and learn. At least Roland got it right by making a keyboard with an easy interface that they're so confident in they can have a 4 minute challenge.

HAHA, I have an idea for a Kronos Challenge. It can be "Find X feature without spending 4 hours digging through the owners manual".
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you found me out.

Roland hater. Hate-hate-hatey-hater. Hate.

Wait, what's that? Roland gear in my studio? What? Have I been living a lie all this time? How can I go on like this?

Real talk: I'm not a Roland hater, and Roland aren't the only company that make grooveboxes. I don't even have anything against grooveboxes (looking here at a Novation Circuit in my studio as well, for example).

But what is the defining characteristic of a groovebox? Pattern-based sequencing and performance. You could call it a groovesynth, like a former Roland product, and you'd be on target.

Now, what does a workstation have that differentiates it from a groovebox? Why isn't, for example, the M1 a groovebox? Is it the synthesis? No, because you've had grooveboxes over the years with leading-edge synthesis. Is it the keyboard? No, because we've had keyboards on grooveboxes before. Is it the ability to handle multiple layered tracks? Again, no, otherwise the Novation Circuit would be a workstation. Is it the ability to drive other devices over MIDI or through timecodes? No, again.

If there's one key defining criterion to an actual workstation, it's the ability to do linear sequencing and put a full track together as a unit. Here's where we see full workstations coming together, and it's not even a KORG thing; it's a Kurzweil, even a Casio thing.

If you're going to ignore what I already pointed out about Akai's devices, that you can get linear sequencing simply by indefinitely extending a track, so that Akai's devices can actually do precisely what is missing on the Fantom, and is literally not in the Fantom's featurelist, then I feel just as able to ignore the Fantom's keyboard on the grounds that I could plug a MIDI keyboard controller into an MC707 - or do you want to call that a workstation, all of a sudden?

I don't resent Roland. I use Roland products. I don't resent grooveboxes; I have and use them too. The only problem I have here is Roland's overblown marketing that claims that Roland can do everything a workstation should do - to be the hardware equivalent to a DAW that a serious composer/producer might use to do everything from an advertising jingle to a six-part fugue. Could you piece a fugue together, spread across the patterns? Sure, and you could patch together a jacket out of two-inch squares of cloth, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

In essence, Roland lied. That's all. It's not a tragedy, it's not even a surprise - it's just a lie. A plain, simple, straightforward lie. Unlike you, I don't feel the urge to sit still for it.

That's all.

(Now go do four tracks in four minutes on a Circuit. It's not hard.)
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Well, you found me out.

If you're going to ignore what I already pointed out about Akai's devices, that you can get linear sequencing simply by indefinitely extending a track, so that Akai's devices can actually do precisely what is missing on the Fantom

No.. I'm not ignoring that... that is exactly one of the biggest ongoing complaints about producing on the Akai platform. Stepping out the box of the bar/loop platform to record vocals or keys. It's just not quite there yet. It treats what you add to it as one long sample. It's more like a side trick than a true dedicated feature of the sequencer. It tried and truly is meant to be used for recording Loops and bar types of sequencing. It is a "Midi Sequencer" above all else.

Akai first started marketing the MPC-X as this device that you could do it all on. A full complete track with a vocalists and everything till people saw what you had to do to get the Akai Software to record in that way. You're still stuck in bars and it's more of a "trick" than an actual dedicated recording technique.

It's better if you just use Keygroups and record inside the MPC software using the bar/loop feature than try to play out or even sing an entire track over a drum loop.

One of the reasons why I started recording using the Kronos sequencer exclusively is that it's more of a "Multitrack Recorder" than your standard midi sequencer. You can do all that stuff without "side tricks" or hassle. It is a major PITA to grab the hang off but it is a very solid workstation sequencer... I just wouldn't say the Kronos interface is as friendly as the one of the Fantom.

Koekepan wrote:
The only problem I have here is Roland's overblown marketing that claims that Roland can do everything a workstation should do

But it does. Like anything you have to master Roland's approach to getting what you want done. Same way we all have to learn and master Korg's approach to getting what you want done on the Kronos.

I wouldn't just throw the Fantom in the toilet because it doesn't immediately do what I want it to do the way I want it to do it. A lot of gear puts you in that spot my friend. That's what defines our abilities as creators of music.

Koekepan wrote:
(Now go do four tracks in four minutes on a Circuit. It's not hard.)

I don't have a Novation Circuit but I do have an SP-404SX if you want that beef.
Space Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Kronos Challenge Reply with quote

[quote="blazerunner"]
Koekepan wrote:

I mean you could be creative on anything but I would challenge anyone trying to fool themselves about the Kronos doing blow for blow what that Fantom is doing in 4 minutes. We all know it can't be done.

and Korg put out what to streamline the Kronos? The Nautilus? Like that's not a head splitting nightmare. A Kronos with less buttons and sliders.

We all know the number 1 complaint about the Kronos is how complicated it is to use and learn. At least Roland got it right by making a keyboard with an easy interface that they're so confident in they can have a 4 minute challenge.

an idea for a Kronos Challenge. It can be "Find X feature without spending 4 hours digging through the owners manual".

I was nicely surprised to find you had all replied here and had some interesting views/ comments. Yes I think a longer challenge of 10 mins or even 20 mins if any would be good and think I would definitely need that time. My Kronos 2 boots up fairly quickly but then I spend an hour menu diving or loading custom PCGS and trying to recall where the H*ll specific progs are now. Then I may spend another Bl**dy hour fixing some combi that no longer works cos the banks have changed and I now have no clue where anything is and have lost the will to live! Confused Smile

I was impressed by how quickly I learnt how to use the Kronos considering it is my first workstation and I am more used to Analogue knob twiddling, although I had to watch all the tutorial videos and still am. I had been put off from buying one for ages because of it's complexity but if I can learn it I am sure anyone can!

I have only used a Keystep Pro with my Kronos2 and that's been useful in making interesting sequences. I have all my other Rev2, Radias and Wavestate connected to that so you get some nice effects and its fun.

I will try to use my Kronos sequencer more and see just how long it takes me to produce a decent but simple track.
Space Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Kronos Challenge Reply with quote

[quote="blazerunner"]
Koekepan wrote:

I mean you could be creative on anything but I would challenge anyone trying to fool themselves about the Kronos doing blow for blow what that Fantom is doing in 4 minutes. We all know it can't be done.

and Korg put out what to streamline the Kronos? The Nautilus? Like that's not a head splitting nightmare. A Kronos with less buttons and sliders.

an idea for a Kronos Challenge. It can be "Find X feature without spending 4 hours digging through the owners manual".

I was nicely surprised to find you had all replied here and had some interesting views/ comments. Yes I think a longer challenge of 10 mins or even 20 mins if any would be good and think I would definitely need that time. My Kronos 2 boots up fairly quickly but then I spend an hour menu diving or loading custom PCGS and trying to recall where the H*ll specific progs are now. Then I may spend another Bl**dy hour fixing some combi that no longer works cos the banks have changed and I now have no clue where anything is and have lost the will to live! Confused Smile

I was impressed by how quickly I learnt how to use the Kronos considering it is my first workstation and I am more used to Analogue knob twiddling, although I had to watch all the tutorial videos and still am. I had been put off from buying one for ages because of it's complexity but if I can learn it I am sure anyone can!

I have only used a Keystep Pro with my Kronos2 and that's been useful in making interesting sequences. I have all my other Rev2, Radias and Wavestate connected to that so you get some nice effects and its fun.

I will try to use my Kronos sequencer more and see just how long it takes me to produce a decent but simple track.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip for anyone who doesn’t know… Enter + Record sets up recording in the sequencer with the Program or Combi currently selected.

Start the drum track and/or Karma, use the RT option to tweak the real-time controls, use the Timbre option to bring voices in and out, and have a blast.

Easy peasy- hours of fun at the press of a few buttons.

Once you have the sequence recorded, you can tweak the Karma and voice parameters real-time to evaluate different settings and effects.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW (not endorsed by Korg). Just for fun!

4+4 Fast Track Challenge
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126020
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: