Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4+4 Fast Track Challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: 4+4 Fast Track Challenge Reply with quote

4+4 Fast Track Challenge

Quickly make a song using a Korg workstation consisting of 4 or more chords and 4 or more tracks using the internal 16-track sequencer. Make use of the features, functions, and presets of the keyboard.

This is mostly an exercise in collaboration to share the process we use to create songs. Show, discuss, or document your workflow. Tell us how you did it!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my entry:

https://soundcloud.com/user-353992699/fast-track-44-challenge-bpoodoo

I started by going to sequencer mode and from the top right selected "Load Template Song" and picked P11: House. I did not check "Copy Pattern to Track too?" because I'm going to use RPPR to trigger the drum patterns.

The advantages of loading a template song are 1) Programs for each track, their panning, and levels are automatically selected, 2) tracks are routed to IFX and MFX effects, also automatically selected (the most important part!).

I changed the Bass to L107 "The ANAPIZZ" and the Fastsynth to J028 "Rezbo" but left everything else as-is.

Going into the Pattern/RPPR menu, RPPR Setup, I selected the following drum patterns and assigned them to the following keys. Mode=Manual, Sync=SEQ

F7: House 1/House
G7: House 2/House
A7: House 4/House
B7: Techno 3/House

Auditioning the sounds and drum patterns I wanted took about 10 minutes. If you already know what sounds and patterns you want, all of the above setup (starting from entering sequence mode) takes about 2 minutes.

So then it was just a matter of recording each track. I checked the RPPR box and temporarily changed Mode=Endless for the House 1/House drum pattern so that I could listen to it while I was recording other tracks.

After I got a span of about 8 measures of the piano, bass, and strings, I copied those several times across multiple measures and then recorded the lead part.

Finally I recorded the RPPR rhythm track by selecting track 1 which contain the drum program and then holding 1 (or 2) of the RPPR-assigned keys for variation as the sequence was playing back according to which drum pattern I wanted to record at that time in the song.

The actual playing the keys performance took me about 15 minutes - I'm not an expert keyboard player, and it takes me a few tries! Then maybe another 5 minutes for sequencer operations to quantize some measures and prepend measures for the intro.

Keyboard: Triton Extreme
Number of Chords: 4
Number of Tracks: 5
Setup Time: 2 minutes
Performance Time: 15 minutes
Sequencer Operations Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh Flugel

https://soundcloud.com/user-353992699/fflugel
or
https://youtu.be/dnkvoHYnO04

This song is a variation of the previous song with similar bass and chord progression, but different genres - Jazz instead of EDM.

Combi A044 "Smoke a Cigar" was the starting point copied into a new sequencer song. It has a nice jazz club sound and feel. No template song or drum patterns or RPPR this time.

I changed the arpeggio for the drums to U167 Dr-HipHop 2, added program A023 Tiney Ep. Piano with a phaser (not proton torpedo) insert effect, and reduced the low EQ in the IFX5 compressor and MFX (too much bass).

Recorded:
Drum 16 measures, quantized
Bass 16 measures, unquantized
Horns 64 measures, unquantized
Keys 96 measures, unquantized

I turned on looped playback for all tracks. The difference in number of measures between horns and keys is intentional. When they loop, they will not line up in the same place in consecutive cycles. This provides some variety and a sense of improvisation. They line up again at measure 192 during the looped playback (1/(1/64-1/96)), the "beat period". In the sequencer, I stretched the song out to 999 measures (by setting Song Length). Only 96 measures of note data (and memory used) are actually in the sequencer - no need to copy and paste measures to fill out to 999.

Keyboard: Triton Extreme
Number of Chords: 4 + variations
Number of Tracks: 5
Setup Time: 10 minutes
Performance Time: A while
Sequencer Operations Time: A few minutes
Total Time: From the start to until I was satisfied it was done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: