Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EK50 MOD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geobee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: EK50 MOD Reply with quote

Hi all, as a retired electronics tech, and multi instrumentalist, I love the EK50, but it has kept me away from my other love, being the guitar. So, I had been throwing things around in my head regarding....''what if I could get the EK50 to change chords/beats etc via foot switches", that way I could play guitar along with the EK50. As I have the EK50 going into my DAW via midi, it can also trigger some nice bass guitar VST's also. So, this gives me guitar, drums, bass, chords etc from the EK50, in real time, no backing tracks required. The bass guitars in the EK50 are ok, but better are available as VST's. VB3 is the one I use. Ok, this now gets technical. The work involved locating the key trigger points in the keyboard, and connecting them to relays that will switch the chord changes when 12 volts is applied from the foot switches. One relay is required for each of the major chords, but three each are required for the minor chords. I set it up triggering some basic chords such as Bb/B/C /D/E/F/G/A/Dm/Em/Am. You could cover all the changes, but you would end up with too many switches on the floor. The ones I did cover enough to have a lot of fun with. Also, using the transpose function will expand the possibilities. On the foot switches, I used an Arduino module to illuminate the current momentary switch with a red LED, and as soon as a different switch is pressed, that one goes out, and back to just a white LED so you can see where you are going next change. If anyone has electronics experience, and would like to do the mod, just PM me and I can help with the mod. To get a service shop to do it would be very expensive, due to the labor time involved. The foot switch section is a job on it's own, to be able to be workable.
geobee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: EK50 MOD Reply with quote

Meant to add, stop /start and fill foot switches were also fitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG EK Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: