Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Ambient 3rdparty sounds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheresgrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Kronos Ambient 3rdparty sounds? Reply with quote

I'm an owner of two 61 key Korg Kronos. One sits in my band studio and the other in my home studio... and while redundancy is not always my plan I have been using the Kronos as my anchor of both setups simply b/c it's the most powerful workstation I own. However lately I've been more drawn to the 3rd part creativity around sound and patch design towards other synths in my studio. I have a Behringer Deepmind 12, a Waldorf Blofeld module, A Korg Wavestation. Omnisphere's. Moog Sub37 I'm very much into Ambient, non-beat soundscapes and I've really been struggling to see where the Kronos can fit into the mix. I've never been a terrific fan of the stock factory presets and aside from a handful of amazing VA patches the Kronos always seems to sound too digital, too processed, too wall of sound ish's. It's not to say the potential isn't there... I'm just struggling to really push the ambient beauty this synth could deliver. And a review of 3rd party creatives leaves me wondering this the Kronos could be the weak link in my setup instead of the anchor... or at least the muse.

A good example is the Korg Minilogue XD... which in itself is a wonderful hybrid piece of gear. It has a distinctive tone... some amazing filters... and the 3rd party patch offerings are both plentiful and inspiring. Arpeggios, sequences, cinematic waveforms. When I look at what's around for the Kronos after almost a decade it seems like a collection of 70's and 80's pop synth patches to Top 40? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough... or maybe I'm just daunted by the thousands of patch offerings that mimic what was once popular instead of inspiring something new? This isn't a knock on Korg or the Kronos. I mean the VA engines alone rival the best out there. But recently I acquired a used Model Electronics Argon 8 and the tone, signature, and ease of onboard controls just has me wanting more from the Kronos? Does anyone know of any ambient offerings for the Kronos that raise goosebumps? I'm looking for lush pads... ambient sounds.... drones... evolving tones, some classic analog emulations and realistic mellotron. I don't need Karma really... I don't need EDM... I don't need drum tracks or beats. Just 3rd party patches that are expressive and take advantage of aftertouch. I'm trying to cut my GAS and use what I have... but it's hard when my attention is captured by every shiny new object.

I mean look at these 3rd party inspirations for the Wavestate... from FM sequences and samples. https://youtu.be/C3SRuNt9XZM
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimenting with some of the existing Kronos Programs and Combis can yield some surprising ethereal and atmospheric soundscapes. There are also a variety of offerings in the Krog shop, from the likes or Irish Acts, Sounds of Planet, KApro, and Kid Nepro, to name a few.

KorganizR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did you already have a look at the free soundsets created by Qui Robinez?
See https://www.quirobinez.nl/korg-kronos-free-sounds/

Edit: Lookup Qui Robinez on YouTube too. There are quite a few demos of his soundsets, much of which are ambient oriented. Amazing generosity of him making these high quality sounds available for free...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: