Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio on headphone jack, none on main outputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Audio on headphone jack, none on main outputs Reply with quote

Hi -- I am new to the Kronos and just now setting it up. Mine is secondhand, so the settings are not necessarily default. I am getting audio out of the headphone jack but none from the main analog outputs. Turning the main volume control adjusts the headphone audio but does not bring up the audio at the main outputs. Someone please walk me through how to solve this problem, and thanks for your help.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird. Not really sure why that might be. Here are a couple of things to try, if only to isolate the issue;

1. Go to GLOBAL. Click on the AUDIO tab. On the right hand side, you'll see the Audio Output tab. The default setting for that is 'Off', which means that the audio comes out of the main L/R outs (apart from any tracks in Sequencer Mode that you choose to route via the individual outs). You can alter the setting to either of the two other output pairs - 1/2 and 3/4. See if the sound comes out of those outputs properly.
I've never had to use that setting myself, and so I don't know if it setting it to 1/2 or 3/4 means that it mutes the main L/R, or if it then uses both. But it will tell you something anyway, and at least you'll hopefully be able to work using the aux outs while you figure out what is wrong with the main outs....

2. It's a very long shot, but are you working in Sequencer Mode? If you are, go to the MFX/TFX tab - the last one - and just check that you haven't got the Master Volume for the song turned down to 000. The default is 127.
jsallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both of your suggestions and neither worked. Connector cables test OK. I do notice that the Disk light flashes when I play notes on the keyboard. The Tempo light also is flashing. But is the instrument in Sequencer mode? MFX-TFX is at 127.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Headphone out and the main L/Mono and R outputs take their audio from a common point, but use different circuitry for the actual outputs themselves. Either the amplifers are faulty, or the output muting transistors have failed short, for some reason. The lack of ability to get output from Audio outs 1-4 is a little concerning. A new audio jack board might fix the issue, but not guaranteed.

Have you tried the USB audio outs, or the S/P DIF Out?

jsallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the amplifiers are faulty, or the output muting transistors have failed short, for some reason. The lack of ability to get output from Audio outs 1-4 is a little concerning. A new audio jack board might fix the issue, but not guaranteed.

Have you tried the USB audio outs, or the S/P DIF Out?

I could try the USB out. To do that, I have to install the Kronos software on the computer, correct? The computer doesn't have an S/P DIF input.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos requires the Korg MIDI driver to be installed to use MIDI, and it is worth installing the driver before connecting the Kronos for the first time, so that the computer is ready to recognise the Kronos correctly. For the USB Audio interface, only the standard built-in Windows (or Mac OS) drivers are required. There is no need to install the Kronos Editor software.

jsallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, success. Now I find that I am getting output, only the level is *very* low with TRS cables plugged into the main outputs of the Kronos and channel 5-6 stereo line inputs of the Behringer mixer. Same with the headphone output of the Kronos plugged into the channel 5-6 inputs, but I know that the headphone output is good. The stereo paired inputs have +4 dB and -10 dB settings, but the level is very low even at -10, with either input signal.

AHA -- the problem is with the mixer, not the Kronos The mixer's channel 9-10 and 11-12 amplifiers work, and level is good with them set to +4 dB. Level is also OK with cables plugged into two of the mono inputs set to +4 dB and panned left and right. but I need these inputs for microphones. The mixer's channel 5-6 and 7-8 amplifiers are dead.

Also I'm going to try the USB output, which will be quieter -- assuming that I can use input from USB and mixer at the same time. Or plug the microphone into the Kronos. And I'll get another mixer.
jsallen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="voip"]The Kronos requires the Korg MIDI driver to be installed to use MIDI, and it is worth installing the driver before connecting the Kronos for the first time, so that the computer is ready to recognise the Kronos correctly. For the USB Audio interface, only the standard built-in Windows (or Mac OS) drivers are required. There is no need to install the Kronos Editor software

Thanks. Will the MIDI driver work if the Kronos is connected by way of a MIDI-USB interface (I have a MOTU Micro Lite) or must the Kronos be connected directly to the computer by USB for the MIDI driver to work? And can I still connecte other devices using the MOTU interface?

Also, another reason to connect audio by USB: The Kronos is creating a ground loop with the mixer, producing a light 60 Hz buzz. This happens even if I have only the sleeve of a TRS connector from the Kronos touching the mixer -- the buzz is not being carried with the signal -- it is definitely a grounding issue. Can anyone suggest a solution to the problem? The Kronos has a grounded power cable; the mixer is powered by an external AC to DC converter with a two-prong mains plug (no grounding or as Brits would say, earthing).
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the keyboard optical output might help as you investigate the grounding issue, eliminating at least the electrical coupling path between keyboard L/R main and mixer through the audio cables.

I picked up this handy little device the other day - at just $11, a nice-to-have for the audio hardware toolbox. Probably not a high quality DAC. But to me it sounds a bit better than using audio cables connected to L/R main outputs of the keyboard.

Digital to Analog Audio Converter 192kHz DAC Converter with Volume Adjustable Aluminum Optical to RCA with Optical & Coaxial Cable Digital SPDIF TOSLINK to Stereo L/R and 3.5mm Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CH188PC/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_i_D93TB5VDNAHAFG8QBGMS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: