Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MIDI Drivers not working with latest Windows 10 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhastlyH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Korg MIDI Drivers not working with latest Windows 10 Update Reply with quote

My studio computer just performed a routine Windows 10 update and now none of my Korg synths will work. When I try to install their drivers the software sees them and tells me it has installed the drivers and yet nothing works.

1) How can I fix this?
2) Why doesn't Korg just use Plug-N-Play drivers like every other USB MIDI synth I have? When I plug in my Arturia gear it just works. When I plug in my Akai gear it just works. When I plug in my Roland gear it just works. When I plug in my Yamaha gear it just works. Yet for as long as i have owned Korg gear that uses USB MIDI it has been nothing but a nightmare. Sometimes it works, then you plug in something new and Korg is all "I totally forget what the heck a synthesizer is".

Korg's weird way of handling MIDI drivers has been a mess since forever. Please Korg, fix this so your gear just works the same as everyone else's gear.
GhastlyH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. after much fruitless searching for a solution on the internet and many attempt to edit the registry to get my Korg devices working again it turns out the problem is Korg's MIDI Drivers are buggy and will not recognize any Korg devices unless they are installed in the first 10 MIDI device slots (midi to midi9).

The only fix is to uninstall all audio/midi devices from your computer, install the Korg devices, then reinstall the rest of your gear. It seems the when the Windows update happened Windows just stuck the drivers for my gear in different slots. This didn't affect any of my other gear but it bunched all the Korg gear together in midi12, midi13, and midi14 so Korg wasn't able to recognize them.

This is silly. Fix this Korg.

https://youtu.be/rVy2aqQm3U8
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the perceived widom is that the maximum 10 MIDI devices problem is a Windows issue, not a Korg driver thing.

bpoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a "routine Windows 10 update." You never know when an update is going to shuffle devices, port ordering, enable or disable settings, change APIs or functionality.

Unrelated to MIDI, about a year ago a USB audio device suddenly stopped working after a windows 10 update. After lot of web searching, the problem was that Microsoft changed the way they handled audio permissions at a high level, and I needed to change a control panel setting to enable a permission that was not previously required.

The next time Microsoft drops a MIDI-bomb update like this, I wonder if a device like this mIO 5-pin DIN to USB MIDI interface would help to bridge the gap to allow connectivity until the problem is identified and resolved? I don't know anything about this product, but it does make a lofty claim to have "Indestructable Drivers."

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: