Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX-1 classic blank screen problem, but it's not the fuse

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinistar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: EMX-1 classic blank screen problem, but it's not the fuse Reply with quote

Greetings. So I had an EMX-1 for years now. Bought it probably more than a decade ago off ebay, but in perfect working conditions, no problem whatsoever. Used if for some time, but then I put it into storage where it rested some years. Few months ago, I took it out again but as i turned it on, only the screen lit on, no LEDs, and the screen was blank. Did some research and came to conclusion it's a well known problem of blown fuse chip. And I finally got the replacement yesterday.

Now, when I opened the unit up, I did what one fixing tutorial suggested and I checked the continuity on the fuse. And to my surprise, it was actually fine. And as I research the issue some more, I read the screen is also supposed to slowly fade out when you turn the machine off, but mine turned off instantly. So at that point I started to suspect it's not the fuse... Still, feeling both adventurous and stubborn, I decided to replace the original weaker fuse with stronger. Physically removed the old one, checked continuity just for the sake of checking and there was none, as expected. Also checked the screen and lo and behold, it did fade out slowly with no fuse. Put the new one in and - exactly the same as before.

So I am kinda stumped on this one. Perhaps my google-fu is weak, but all I found regarding this issue is just the already mentioned fuse problem which obviously doesn't apply here. At this point I started thinking if perhaps leaving the unit unplugged was perhaps the problem? But I don't think the EMX-1 has any sort of internal battery or something, right?? Or could it perhaps be a power supply issue?

I also tried starting up with all the "test modes" but absolutely nothing happened.

If anyone has any idea, just shoot. I have no intention of giving up on this old beauty just yet.
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the motherboard, sorry for the bad news! I had similar issue, different cause, but sent it in for repair and was told this was the issue.

It cost me around £270 to get it repaired, including postage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: