Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping pan position when changing sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Keeping pan position when changing sounds Reply with quote

I have a style where Upper 1 is panned hard to one side. But if I change the sound for that part, the panning goes back to center. I would have thought the pan location of a part would be saved as part of the style, and wouldn't change if you loaded a new sound for that part, but that's not happening. Is this a bug? A feature? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to lock the pan position of a part so different sounds loaded into the same part keep the same pan position?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping pan position when changing sounds Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I have a style where Upper 1 is panned hard to one side. But if I change the sound for that part, the panning goes back to center. ...

Pan-Settings for mixing tracks are not made for sounds but for tracks. But with sound editor multisamples of sounds can be assigned and saved with different pan positions for each sound oscillator and these settings take effect when selecting the sounds.
You are nothing doing wrong, because this strange behavior of Upper1-track - switching back to Pa = 0 after selecting a single sound - has been around since the Pa500. All other tracks keep the track's pan setting if the sound for a track is changed, but a sound selection on track for upper1 always sets pan to zero.

It is not known whether this is a bug or a feature, but obviously no one has ever complained about this, but probably always switched the sound via Performances / KbdSets or Songbook entries.

I accepted this peculiarity as a feature in order to create sounds in the sound editor in which the different oscillators can always be distributed as they are in the stereo image with Upper 1 due to their intended separate pan setting (in Amp page of sound-editor).

For special stereo sounds it seems to be better not to use other pan settings than zero and that automatically pan going back of Upper1 after selecting a sound for me is ok.

If I want to use other pan settings for sounds of Upper1 I would select sounds per performance / kbdSetting.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping pan position when changing sounds Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
You are nothing doing wrong, because this strange behavior of Upper1-track - switching back to Pa = 0 after selecting a single sound - has been around since the Pa500. All other tracks keep the track's pan setting if the sound for a track is changed, but a sound selection on track for upper1 always sets pan to zero.

Thanks! With it not working for Upper 1, it would not have occurred to me to see if the same thing happened in Upper 2, I would have figured all the parts worked the same way! That may solve my problem... I can just use Upper 2 instead when I want this functionality. I tried briefly today, it kinda worked... but for some reason, I lost all my effects. I don't just mean insert effects, I know you can only have that on one keyboard playable part at a time so that wouldn't be a surprise, but I lost the master reverb and couldn't figure why. I'll try to play with it some more this week.

Last edited by Scott on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping pan position when changing sounds Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
.. but for some reason, I lost all my effects. I don't just mean insert effects ..

Again, this is a story not well documented:
The realtime tracks (upper, lower) but also style- and SMF-tracks share their effects. But generally effects are not assigned to the sounds, but to the tracks - that is because effects primary are saved for tracks in KbdSets, Style-Tracks and SMF-tracks.

Even if effects are assigned to each sound by default in the sound editor and saved with the sound, there is NO automatic switchover to effects if the sounds of Upper2, Upper3 and Lower are selected to be played.

Only the selection of the sound on Upper1 switches the effects like stored with sound-edit - and these effects of the sounds changed for Upper1 also switch the effects for the sounds of Upper2, Upper3 and Lower. So it does not matter how they were stored with sound-edit, because only the sound on the Upper1 track has a priority to be used as edited and memorized - the other realtime tracks follow this switchover.

The same applies to the sounds of the style tracks - a changed sound in a style track does not automatically switch its effects in its track, because the effects for the style tracks are saved in the style or the style setting.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of startling that a 1000+ page manual doesn't seem to tell you these things! But I did figure out how to get the result I wanted.

I was similarly bit when I tried to bring in a mono lead synth sound to replace a part that was polyphonic, and it defaulted to playing my mono sound polyphonically. I was surprised to see it not respect these settings that were stored as part of the sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: