Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound only plays on left output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dholmes40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Sound only plays on left output Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Trinity V3 and lately I've noticed sound only playing on the left channel. I never noticed it before because I'd plug the 1/4 inch cable into the left mono port when playing live. But if I use the headphones jack, it only plays out of the left side. I also don't get sound if I plug into the right channel.

I tried resetting the keyboard (Holding Enter + turning on power). No change.

Any ideas?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound only plays on left output Reply with quote

dholmes40 wrote:
Hi,

I have a Trinity V3 and lately I've noticed sound only playing on the left channel. I never noticed it before because I'd plug the 1/4 inch cable into the left mono port when playing live. But if I use the headphones jack, it only plays out of the left side. I also don't get sound if I plug into the right channel.

I tried resetting the keyboard (Holding Enter + turning on power). No change.

Any ideas?

Make sure you back up all data from the instrument before reading further. Have you tried the diagnostics menu, as well? You can test all outputs independently and that should help you a bit further. ENTER+5 on power up is the key combination for diagnostics and it will wipe completely your Trinity's content.
dholmes40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried that. Is it safe to run the diagnostics? I've heard horror stories but from other keyboards, not the Trinity.

I have my sounds/global settings backed up on disk.
Korg MicroSampler

RIP = Wavestation EX, X3
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe the trinity and triton have a bit of a design flaw in that the output jacks "float" relative to the case. They're soldered to a board in the chassis. Rough treatment or time can leave you with a disconnect as the jacks get torqued fairly heavily during play, transport, and even just sitting with cable weight pulling on 'em.

I'm not sure this flaw would manifest in the headphones tho'. That may indeed be one for a diagnostic test.

But whether you self-test or send it to a shop the advice to back-up everything is good.

Any process that wipes the memory or just lets it die (like a battery change) should be preceded by one - or better yet 2 back-ups -- disc and PC.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
I'm not sure this flaw would manifest in the headphones tho'. That may indeed be one for a diagnostic test.

Not on the Trinity as far as I know. I'm not sure on the Triton - and in fact I have rarely seen reports of such problem for the Trinity whereas it is rather common for Triton.

I have ran diagnostics several times without any problems - be careful with your speakers and your ears, though! Sometimes high level signals are produced on the outputs. If everything is backed up safely then I'm confident you'll have no problems running the diagnostics. The last step of the diagnostics involves loading the original factory preset disk. I think you can insert any disk in fact, but not sure of that. It might be a good idea to have that disk handy, plus a blank floppy for running the drive test.
DCPete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556

Check this very forum... I to have a V3 & whilst not entirely cured, This problem is well documented & discussed. It's really just down to a little set of wires that run from front (Headphones) to back (L & R) that's the cause/cure of the problem...

Click link.
dholmes40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks. I will give it a try when I get some time.
Korg MicroSampler

RIP = Wavestation EX, X3
gorkymate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Ok, but if you have DI-TRI option like I do, does it wipes also samples from flash rom??
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorkymate wrote:
..Ok, but if you have DI-TRI option like I do, does it wipes also samples from flash rom??

The flash option is PBS-TRI, is that what you've meant? I'm not sure but think that the samples will be erased (by running the diagnostics, not the cleaning of the pins), too. However, they can be saved on floppies before running the diagnostics, so it should not be a big issue. Did this answer your question?
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, old thread I know, but in case it helps you (or anyone else!), I had a similar problem with my Trinity last year - it was cured by replacing the volume slider!
Madbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just had this problem and I could simply solve it by going to the diagnostics (Enter+5 on startup) and running output tests. Then it magically fixed itself.

If I had to guess, there's probably a bug in the OS (2.4.1) that screws global panning, as it happened to me before but it was stuck just a little bit to the left.

Hope this helps somebody.

PS: Make sure you backup all your data before doing this.
jhulk

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its also a known problem that the dual linear volume control sliders fail and if its also on the phones i would suspect this if the diagnostics dont work

the trinity does have floating phono,s the only mechanical protection is the solder pads and they do fail due to phono leads i fit 90 degree phono,s as they put less stress on the 1/4 inch jack phono sockets

its a design flaw in most of there synths even the dss1 suffer from it but easy fix reflow solder so that the cracks are no longer there

its a pity that they did not use like the ensoniqs nuts or brackets that take the stress

i have had to replace several sliders and they work good the sliders are still available from guitar parts and are about $8
cosmic19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, i had the same problem on my Korg Oasys 76. One left output was working and right output was very faint and was also causing a hum noise that i thought was coming form my active monitors or from my ext mixer. using process of elimination i found the fault.

jhulk Wrote: It's also a known problem that the dual linear volume control sliders fail"

Correct Sir. It was the Main Volume Slider that was causing the issue . so i took it out and cleaned it will Isopropyl alcohol and voila it worked. So anyone else having this problem should check this first,

C.
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCPete wrote:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3556

Check this very forum... I to have a V3 & whilst not entirely cured, This problem is well documented & discussed. It's really just down to a little set of wires that run from front (Headphones) to back (L & R) that's the cause/cure of the problem...

Click link.

Yup, solved the left only sound on headphones. Got it right after replacing the floppy drive (driving belt become too stretched), I put some petrolium jelly on the pinky finger, just managed to rub the pins, it's tight.
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: