Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best LS velocity setting for piano and forte OR RH3 keybed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Best LS velocity setting for piano and forte OR RH3 keybed? Reply with quote

Hi, I am using a Kronos 2 LS and find the keybed easy to play - perhaps too easy?

Now that my piano skills have progressed I am having trouble finding a suitable balance for playing 'piano' and 'pianissimo' passages as against 'forte'. Is this because the default velocity setting needs changing or is it a function of the lighter weighting of the keys?

Is the RH3 keybed much, much better in this respect? There's a Kronos X 88 available secondhand, and in good condition, not far from me so I could change to that if forum members think it advisable.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RH3 is far more suitable for piano and EP - the weighted action mimics a piano touch far better.

I couldn’t imagine trying to play subtle passages on the non-weighted keybed myself, but I’m sure there are those who have it mastered.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the used Kronos is in good shape, I would for sure "update" buying it to play on the RH3 action. Wink

If you go ahead with the purchase, make sure to take your time to test the unit and do a Save All of your stuff on your current LS so to not lose all your custom saves, etc. Also, if you bought additional sound libraries, it should be easy to transfer them on the other Kronos by emailing Korg about it.
davc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after trying a few lightly weighted actions , I went back to fully weighed ... being a classically trained old fart , I really tried to practice and get used to the action ... and could Not . I would think folks who have always played organ/synth actions would adapt better .!? I would try adjusting the velocity and see if it helps ... but the RH3 actions really has always felt very good to me .! But not wanting to lug my gen 1 old K-88 around , I bought a Dexibel S7pro stage piano for some duo type work . It feels pretty good , slightly heavier action than the RH3 , but a much lighter weight board .
davc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after trying a few lightly weighted actions , I went back to fully weighed ... being a classically trained old fart , I really tried to practice and get used to the action ... and could Not . I would think folks who have always played organ/synth actions would adapt better .!? I would try adjusting the velocity and see if it helps ... but the RH3 actions really has always felt very good to me .! But not wanting to lug my gen 1 old K-88 around , I bought a Dexibel S7pro stage piano for some duo type work . It feels pretty good , slightly heavier action than the RH3 , but a much lighter weight board .
davc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also gave the Korg D1 stage piano a look , as it has the RH3 action also. But I needed something I could Split for left hand bass ..
peterco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
If the used Kronos is in good shape, I would for sure "update" buying it to play on the RH3 action. Wink

If you go ahead with the purchase, make sure to take your time to test the unit and do a Save All of your stuff on your current LS so to not lose all your custom saves, etc. Also, if you bought additional sound libraries, it should be easy to transfer them on the other Kronos by emailing Korg about it.

Thank you to everybody that replied here. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you all recommend the RH3 action.

I'm using Velocity #4 or #5 as #4 allows pp playing but, for forte, I need #5!

I have also toyed with a secondhand Roland A88 controller, as the Ivory Feel G action seems to have a fair amount of support amongst pianists, but can't really face the physical complexity of two keyboards.

Another option is to install a complete keybed from a Korg M3 (also found one of those at a good price) but I'm not sure, even though I'm handy with taking the LS apart, that it will fit the LS chassis?

The only sound libraries that I have came with the Kronos 2 LS, so I think it is EXs17, EXs18, and KRS-07 that I would have to transfer to the Kronos X?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a M3 action is compatible to work in a Kronos. To physically fit the action is one thing - another is that the diode matrix which decodes the key info must be understood. They could be identical, but if they are different then you will need a translation circuit and this is not so easy to design.
peterco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I doubt a M3 action is compatible to work in a Kronos. To physically fit the action is one thing - another is that the diode matrix which decodes the key info must be understood. They could be identical, but if they are different then you will need a translation circuit and this is not so easy to design.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will cross that off my to-do list then.
davc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tweak your fav piano patch to find that midway point between velocity levels #4-5 ..?? velocity cross over points/levels .?
peterco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I managed to find a Kronos 88-2 at a good price on Reverb and picked it up yesterday.

Initially, the keys feel more difficult to play which is why, I guess, synth players often prefer the LS model, but I quickly settled into the heavier (expected) and more resistive (not expected) feel.

Already, after a couple of hours, I am playing with more expression and feel I have more control over velocity which, of course, is why I wanted to change in the first place.

If you're mainly a synth player and want fast runs with your fingers dancing over the keys with ease then I'd recommend the LS model. But if, like me, you want more control over the expression of percussion instruments, like piano, then the RH3 keyboard is the better choice by far.

One other aspect I noticed is that, on the LS, the D key is full width between the black keys and not slimmed down as it passes between them as it is on a normal piano. This means that there is a bigger distance between Db and D# on the LS keybed. This must be deliberate but I can't see why - does anyone know?
peterco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I managed to find a Kronos 88-2 at a good price on Reverb and picked it up yesterday.

Initially, the keys feel more difficult to play which is why, I guess, synth players often prefer the LS model, but I quickly settled into the heavier (expected) and more resistive (not expected) feel.

Already, after a couple of hours, I am playing with more expression and feel I have more control over velocity which, of course, is why I wanted to change in the first place.

If you're mainly a synth player and want fast runs with your fingers dancing over the keys with ease then I'd recommend the LS model. But if, like me, you want more control over the expression of percussion instruments, like piano, then the RH3 keyboard is the better choice by far.

One other aspect I noticed is that, on the LS, the D key is full width between the black keys and not slimmed down as it passes between them as it is on a normal piano. This means that there is a bigger distance between Db and D# on the LS keybed. This must be deliberate but I can't see why - does anyone know?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the RH3 equipped Kronos, you will enjoy it I am sure.

About playing very fast and with ease on a weighted action, it simply will come to you with practice. I can play anything on the RH3 action, from slow expressive things to very fast advanced classical, etc. It can be piano, organ, anything. For one example check here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieRwcS_mlJI

Finally, about the strange D keys on the LS model, I copy/paste what I have replied some weeks ago about it :

After checking closer, it looks like that keyboard design might have meant to be as inexpensive as possible. Instead of using different white keys for the C/D/E sections, they simply use F and B keys as C and E keys (respectively) to save costs as less different plastic things to produce. Hence the very wide space between the C# and D#. In other words, on the LS it looks like one could swap any F for a C and any B for a E and vice versa - something that won't work on the vast majority of keyboard designs.

Sure, on all pianos there is a tiny space difference for the sharps/flat keys between C/D/E and F/G/A/B sections, but I think it goes a bit overboard for the LS­. Cool
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on a real piano Baby Grand or Upright I feel like the keys are a bit lighter and more responsive compared to the RH3 keys. They feel a bit heavier and I always feel like I'm a tad bit slower at playing them. Like my fingers are covered in mud.

After spending enough time through playing on them you get "used" to them and start picking up speed. When I go and play real piano's now everything feels "lighter" to me.

I actually like the RH3 keys. I'd personally never get a keyboard that didn't have weighted keys again if it's an option. I'm just glad Korg put them on a 73" instead of having to get that massive 88 like back in the Triton days.

Good luck to you on your upgrade. Hope you have much fun with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: