Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennispau

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Combi volume Reply with quote

Hi...

I'm a "newbie" in this forum and also quite new to playing Korg keyboards. Looking forward to be a part of the community.

A question ... is there a way to adjust the gain of a Combi, without having to change the volume of every single "Timbre"?

Can't seem to find it in the manual....sorry if it's there
Nord Stage 3, Nord stage 2EX, Nord stage classic, Nord Lead 2 (rack), Nord Electro 3 73', Korg Kross 2 61, Korg Kross 61, Korg Krome 88, Fender Rhodes Mark II, Yamaha MOXF8, Yamaha MOX6, Roland RD700 SX; Roland RD100, Yamaha PSR, Roland sound module, Millar Grand Piano, Pro Tools 10, Sample Tank, Swissonic Easykey 61 (midi controller)
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Combi volume Reply with quote

dennispau wrote:
Hi...

I'm a "newbie" in this forum and also quite new to playing Korg keyboards. Looking forward to be a part of the community.

A question ... is there a way to adjust the gain of a Combi, without having to change the volume of every single "Timbre"?

Can't seem to find it in the manual....sorry if it's there

You can use the Master Volume knob to control the overall volume of the synth. I am not aware of a way to adjust the gain of a single Combi in a global sense any other way.

You can, however, hook up an expression pedal or volume pedal and assign each part of the combi to respond to the pedal and that will control the volume.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
dennispau

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Musicwithharry

Thank you ...

I'm trying to program my Combis, so they have an even output level going to FOH. Having to "save" the situation, by reaching for the volume knob og using a volume pedal when it's suddenly way to loud, is a big problem, I think....and the FOH soundguy get's really angry Smile

When having programmed a Combi with a good balance, I sometimes find, that it's way louder than others.
Then it's a bit annoying having to change all the individual "Timbres", still keeping the balance.
Nord Stage 3, Nord stage 2EX, Nord stage classic, Nord Lead 2 (rack), Nord Electro 3 73', Korg Kross 2 61, Korg Kross 61, Korg Krome 88, Fender Rhodes Mark II, Yamaha MOXF8, Yamaha MOX6, Roland RD700 SX; Roland RD100, Yamaha PSR, Roland sound module, Millar Grand Piano, Pro Tools 10, Sample Tank, Swissonic Easykey 61 (midi controller)
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennispau wrote:
Hi Musicwithharry

Thank you ...

I'm trying to program my Combis, so they have an even output level going to FOH. Having to "save" the situation, by reaching for the volume knob og using a volume pedal when it's suddenly way to loud, is a big problem, I think....and the FOH soundguy get's really angry Smile

When having programmed a Combi with a good balance, I sometimes find, that it's way louder than others.
Then it's a bit annoying having to change all the individual "Timbres", still keeping the balance.

Another thing to consider for having a normalized volume across all Combis, is to set up a Limiter in the TFX section. Do this for every Combi and the volume coming from the keyboard, depending on your settings for the Combis, will be more uniform for the FOH person.

I have 6-8 boards now that I take on stage with my band and have things fairly normalized from my submix to the FOH and it seems to work very well. I like more dynamic range with my pianos, and there are certain compromises when using a Limiter, but for the most part, you can normalize with the Limiter.

Just a thought Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
dennispau

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
dennispau wrote:
Hi Musicwithharry

Thank you ...

Another thing to consider for having a normalized volume across all Combis, is to set up a Limiter in the TFX section. Do this for every Combi and the volume coming from the keyboard, depending on your settings for the Combis, will be more uniform for the FOH person.

I have 6-8 boards now that I take on stage with my band and have things fairly normalized from my submix to the FOH and it seems to work very well. I like more dynamic range with my pianos, and there are certain compromises when using a Limiter, but for the most part, you can normalize with the Limiter.

Just a thought Smile

Grace,
Harry

Hi Harry

Ah okay, that's an interesting idea. I'll look in to that.....Thanks Smile

All the best
Dennis
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, inserting a limiter is an option, but also cumbersome to do that in each combi. You may need to reroute IFX and so on to make sure they go through the Limiter.

But what about this one:
Go to the mixer page of a combi, the page with volume for each timbre.
Push the function button, select "Hold balance" and select the checkmark. Leave the menu.
When you now adjust any timbre’s volume setting, the other timbre volume settings will change to maintain the balance.

Hqve fun.
dennispau

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Yes, inserting a limiter is an option, but also cumbersome to do that in each combi. You may need to reroute IFX and so on to make sure they go through the Limiter.

But what about this one:
Go to the mixer page of a combi, the page with volume for each timbre.
Push the function button, select "Hold balance" and select the checkmark. Leave the menu.
When you now adjust any timbre’s volume setting, the other timbre volume settings will change to maintain the balance.

Hqve fun.

That was exactly what I was looking for.... Thank you very much! Smile
Curo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Balancing volume Reply with quote

This approach seems good for reducing all patches to a standard for your sound guy. A limitation to note with holding balance from the mixer page is that if any of your individual sounds are already at 127, they are at their cap. If you raise a lower sound in the patch, the capped sounds stay at their max and the balance for that patch is no longer proportional.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing volume Reply with quote

Curo wrote:
This approach seems good for reducing all patches to a standard for your sound guy. A limitation to note with holding balance from the mixer page is that if any of your individual sounds are already at 127, they are at their cap. If you raise a lower sound in the patch, the capped sounds stay at their max and the balance for that patch is no longer proportional.

That's true. But once you move hold balance back down below 127 as the maximum for any timbre, the proportionality is restored.

It's a good strategy in general when you're balancing the timbres in your combis not to exceed 100-110 for any single timbre to allow for some wiggle room. And if you need to raise or lower the volume of a combi overall, you can add a stereo limiter or stereo compressor at the end of your effects chain MFX or TFX using it just as a gain adjustment (set the other parameters for the effect so that they don't actually limit or compress if you just want gain adjustment).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: