Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WaveState Update - Is Sucking my will to live
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: WaveState Update - Is Sucking my will to live Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been trying to update my Wavestate from 1.03 to 2.01 for weeks now with no luck. I've tried it in normal mode and USB mode with all of the available installers from 1.04 to 2.01. Dan Philips was helping me for a bit but I think he gave up. I'm about to as well.

I did the whole RNDIS thing, installed and uninstalled the Korg drivers. In my Korg MIDI uninstaller all I see is my Korg Kronos. No wavestate. I can't find a dedicated Wavestate driver on Korg's website. Is this what I am missing?

Why is this so hard? The updater "sees" the Wavestate in the Device tab but I get the "Connection Error, Unable to connect to the device Korg wavestate1local.responded with Error 4. Is there a video on Youtube that baby steps you through the install? Do I need a Voodoo Doll and some chicken bones? The Roland guys are camping on my front lawn with Jupiter XM's. They look like nice guys...

Seriously, anyone out there that has had this issue and resolved it I would so appreciate any hints.

All the very best,

Darren
Bozzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren.

Maybe I'm telling you something obvious but... have you tried with another computer?

I think your computer's OS has something strange that prevents things to go the right way, maybe it was "abused" by too many unfortunate attempts to get things working, this usually puts Windows KO.

If you can, try with another PC. Chances are that once upgraded to 2.0.1 you'll be able to use yours successfully thanks to NCM protocol. Or maybe it's time to give your PC a fresh Windows installation.

Bozzy
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Bozzy

I did try another computer but that was before Dan told be i could run the 2.01 install directly in USB mode. I will give that a go.

Thanks again!

Darren
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpasdernick wrote:
Thank You, Bozzy

I did try another computer but that was before Dan told be i could run the 2.01 install directly in USB mode. I will give that a go.

Thanks again!

Darren

The best advice I can give is to be very careful at following the instructions in the manuals. For example, you mention MIDI drivers - which are not in the manuals, and are not used by the wavestate. Stick to the manuals, and stick to them carefully!

One possibility specific to Windows, which will be in the next version of the manuals, is that Bonjour has been set to not run, or not start automatically. To check this, open Services, find Bonjour Service in the list, and confirm that its Status is Running and Startup Type is set to Automatic.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

I managed to use my laptop to install 2.01. yay!

launched the editor and it says...

connection error unable to connect to this device korgwavestate1.local responded with: 'Error 4'

The wavestate is visible under the device tab in the top menu bar.

Wow! This is mind-boggling on how the software can't connect even though the software sees the Wavestate.

Not at all happy.

Korg,

Please.

Help.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpasdernick wrote:
Update.

I managed to use my laptop to install 2.01. yay!

launched the editor and it says...

connection error unable to connect to this device korgwavestate1.local responded with: 'Error 4'

The wavestate is visible under the device tab in the top menu bar.

Wow! This is mind-boggling on how the software can't connect even though the software sees the Wavestate.

Not at all happy.

Korg,

Please.

Help.

Yes, Microsoft has made this difficult.

Have you tried this:

One possibility specific to Windows, which will be in the next version of the manuals, is that Bonjour has been set to not run, or not start automatically. To check this, open Services, find Bonjour Service in the list, and confirm that its Status is Running and Startup Type is set to Automatic.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour was running and set to automatic.

Still, no joy.
Sad
jb58

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpasdernick wrote:

Still, no joy.
Sad

I feel with you ! My Pc has exactly the same problem, nobody knows the solution it seems Rolling Eyes .
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb58 wrote:
dpasdernick wrote:

Still, no joy.
Sad

I feel with you ! My Pc has exactly the same problem, nobody knows the solution it seems Rolling Eyes .

Sorry to hear this. At least we're not alone.

I'm thinking of selling my Wavestate.
DungBeatle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a grey-haired software engineer with 30+ years of commercial (pretty hardcore) custom software writing experience.

When I read the exchanges between a poor user like dpasdernick and Korg people, I despair. Why do modern companies like Korg still make such fundamental software engineering mistakes as not managing their technological dependencies when designing their products?

When I upgraded my Wavestate to the 2.x firmware, I also saw some reference to Bonjour (btw, I'm on Mac). Why would any sane company expose itself to a Bonjour dependency when the only thing that connects the Wavestate to a computer is a USB cable? Korg should have accepted the basic USB dependency, but NOT accepted to depend on Bonjour.. whatever features it adds on top of USB !

Surely Korg is big and resourceful enough to develop a custom Korg synth-computer comms protocol that requires USB as an underlying transport, without requiring any other technologies that greatly enhance the risks of post-release user hell stories surfacing in forums, like this thread?

I see this mistake being made all over the place: companies falling for the cheap-and-dirty solution of building on top of library X, Y or Z (just to tap into 0,2% of the functionality offered by such libs), only to discover after product release that such libraries or technology cost them lots more in customer pain and (very) negative feedback!

Coming back to the Wavestate.. I'd love to know why Bonjour was deemed necessary to write a firmware updater.
DungBeatle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a grey-haired software engineer with 30+ years of commercial (pretty hardcore) custom software writing experience.

When I read the exchanges between a poor user like dpasdernick and Korg people, I despair. Why do modern companies like Korg still make such fundamental software engineering mistakes as not managing their technological dependencies when designing their products?

When I upgraded my Wavestate to the 2.x firmware, I also saw some reference to Bonjour (btw, I'm on Mac). Why would any sane company expose itself to a Bonjour dependency when the only thing that connects the Wavestate to a computer is a USB cable? Korg should have accepted the basic USB dependency, but NOT accepted to depend on Bonjour.. whatever features it adds on top of USB !

Surely Korg is big and resourceful enough to develop a custom Korg synth-computer comms protocol that requires USB as an underlying transport, without requiring any other technologies that greatly enhance the risks of post-release user hell stories surfacing in forums, like this thread?

I see this mistake being made all over the place: companies falling for the cheap-and-dirty solution of building on top of library X, Y or Z (just to tap into 0,2% of the functionality offered by such libs), only to discover after product release that such libraries or technology cost them lots more in customer pain and (very) negative feedback!

Coming back to the Wavestate.. I'd love to know why Bonjour was deemed necessary to write a firmware updater.
jb58

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DungBeatle wrote:

I completely agree ! What I am most worried about is the fact that nothing is moving at Korg it seems. They don't publish any explanation, timeline, whatever to see that they are on the connection issues and it will be solved some time in the future. When I checked their Compatibility Chart this week I could see an incredibly long list of issues that are under investigation for different Windows 10 versions and for Windows 11 (?) for many Korg instruments...
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[duplicate]

Last edited by danatkorg on Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[duplicate]

Last edited by danatkorg on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DungBeatle wrote:

Are you proposing that a custom "comms protocol" is a better solution for a commercial product than an industry standard like zero-config networking (aka Bonjour)? Not so sure about that.

Many seem to overestimate how "big" Korg is. Smile The software for the wavestate was done by four engineers, one of whom has to split his time with management duties.

DungBeatle wrote:

An alternative would be for the user to manually enter an IP address, which would have its own points of failure.

Fortunately, very few people have had trouble with Bonjour on the wavestate - which makes sense, as it is an industry standard mechanism. Those were only on Windows; I'm not aware of a single issue with Bonjour on the Mac, since it's a fundamental part of Mac networking, though I'm always happy to be corrected. The bigger difficulty appears to be in getting through the steps required for Windows network setup, and I'd like to make that easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: