Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Midi Event Edit on Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicalVisions

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Kronos Midi Event Edit on Windows Reply with quote

I have looked through these forums for information on software for Windows that allows MIDI Event edit on a Kronos sequence that has been loaded in Kronos, but have only found posts talking about exporting the sequence to general MIDI, then importing the sequence back in. Is there really not Kronos MIDI sequence edit software available for Windows?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any DAW can edit MIDI notes. Not directly to the Kronos Seq, but a Seq can be exported to a DAW, edited, and returned.

Notes can be edited in the Kronos as well which is how I've done it. It's a system that once you learn it, it's not too hard to do.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
MusicalVisions

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been exporting to DAW and re-importing with success. I was hoping for a real time view of the tracks in classic tracker mode where multiple tracks are simultaneously visible on screen. I have been editing in tracker style since the 90s and it is much faster getting things done compared to Kronos MIDI Event Edit.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, it's non-trivial to implement software for MIDI editing. Many of the major DAWs struggled greatly with that as they evolved and grew.

With that in mind, while it may not seem optimal, the export / edit / import workflow really does give you the most powerful solution. It allows apps who have built stable and fully featured MIDI functionality over the years to do a good job when you're editing, and lets Kronos concentrate on being Kronos.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is now free. Back in the day Cakewalk was the big dog for MIDI editing before they started supporting audio recording, so you're going to have all the features you would want (including a score editor in addition to the traditional piano roll view, and printing scores).

As with any software there's a learning curve, but once you get over the hump you'll love the power it gives you.

Personally I use Cubase, which also has excellent MIDI functionality, but Cakewalk is now free so I thought it worth mentioning.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
MusicalVisions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Desired Sequencer Edit View Reply with quote

Tracker style with multiple columns available is my brain's choice for editing sequences. Cakewalk does not have tracker style and is limited to piano roll view as far a I know. Cubase's List Editor is similar, but still does not provide the same big picture along with quickness and ease of editing MIDI events. I may need to simply spend some time getting things worked out so that there are not tempo and block nuances occurring. One such issue is loading a MIDI file created at 110 bpm then the Kronos sets the tempo at 265.05 with an abnormal block length. This image shows an example of tracker style editing I am used to:
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Well Fargo stagecoaches were also very useful. Less in 2021. Times are changing: all of us have to adapt. Not a bad thing. Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
The Well Fargo stagecoaches were also very useful. Less in 2021. Times are changing: all of us have to adapt. Not a bad thing. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Kronos is the Most advanced Keyboard Workstation and at the same time Least Advanced.

I got used to the Midi Event Editor window. It's like reading Microsoft Excel but I'll be geez if there isn't a way to make these systems more understandable and user friendly in 2021.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: