Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Limit Velocity Range for Electric Piano?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: How Limit Velocity Range for Electric Piano? Reply with quote

Is there a way to limit the velocity range for the EP-1 engine sounds? (I'm specifically using the Piano Mark 1 sound, Model Type "Tine EP 1"

Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm triggering the sound from an unweighted MIDI keyboard and it's really easy to trigger a note at the max velocity which blows out the mix and causes that "overdriven" sound.

The ideal solution would be if there were 9 velocity levels, to stop the loudest 2 or 3 from playing (have it max out at 6 or 7 velocity), I don't suppose that's possible?

If not, are there any other suggestions to make it harder to max out the velocity that don't alter the basic sound?

I'm playing the Program in a Combination, so if there are any Combination methods that work to limit velocity that would

FYI, I previously asked a similar question about how to remove velocity from a harpsichord patch, and the following steps worked for the harpsichord, but with the EP-1 patch I don't see "Velocity Intensity" listed in the drop slider, unless I'm missing something.

Here's what worked for the harpsichord sound

1) Go to the Control Surface tab.
2) Press Tone Adjust “TONE ADJ” on left
3) On the upper right, select the Timbre# for the harpsichord.
4) Choose a slider to use, and touch its drop down arrow.
5) Find and assign Amp Velocity Intensity to the slider
6) Set to 0.
7) Save combi.
If “Velocity Intensity” is grayed out it means one of the faders is already assigned to it (for harpsichord it was knob #7, reduce from 0 to -99 to remove velocity sensitivity.

Any suggestions are appreciated! PS - Someone else is playing the MIDI keyboard, so don't bother telling me to just play more smoothly, heh.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Kronos velocity curves to affect external MIDI control, go to Global/MIDI and select postMIDI for what Korg calls Convert Position. Then select a low number curve (1, 2 or 3) to see if it can fit your external keyboard response.

The EP-1 engine doesn't offer samples in HD-1, and there is no EP-1 parameter to edit the "velocity to sample timbre layer" like in HD-1. Also, the Tine EP-1 - actually Rhodes Mark I - is the "dirtiest" one available (my personal favorite) so to get a cleaner timbre regardless of velocity control you could also select Rhodes Mark II or V.
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, KK for the win ! ! ! ! ! Thank you so much, what an absolute perfect solution and response. I'm naming my first born after you assuming your middle name doesn't also start with a K (har har).

Thanks again!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my KK name here just means Korg Kronos, so no middle name. Laughing Glad I could help.
trancedelicbluesman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do is use compression; there's a vintage compressor pedal in the ep 1 engine, so even as part of a combi it will work. This will bring up the level of the soft notes so you won't need to hit the keyboard too hard; it also just makes the sound rounder and more full.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trancedelicbluesman wrote:
Another thing you can do is use compression; there's a vintage compressor pedal in the ep 1 engine, so even as part of a combi it will work. This will bring up the level of the soft notes so you won't need to hit the keyboard too hard; it also just makes the sound rounder and more full.

That's not what CorgieFan wants ! He doesn't want to compress the dynamic but he does want to access to all the velocity range, what he can't do because of his keyboard.
He doesn't want to alter the sound.
A compressor modifies the dynamic, of course, but also the texture of the sound. It is absolutely not appropriate to what he is looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: