Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting sound on m50 thru usb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BOBWITHKORG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Getting sound on m50 thru usb Reply with quote

My korg m50 plays sound through an audio jack going to a guitar speaker, but when I plug in to the usb port using a cable to my pc, I cannot get any sound to play. How do I use the usb port to play sound.? Have windows 10 and loaded latest korg drivers. I see the m50 in device manager, but again no sound through my COMPUTER speakers.... How can I get the m50 to play through my computer. Please give detailed answer. Using the driver uninstaller I could see that I was 3rd on the list in device manager. Thanks so much.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB port on the M50 only transmits MIDI data, not audio data. There is no USB audio interface built into the M50. This is also true for the Krome.

To get M50 audio to play through the computer, it will be necessary to connect the M50 audio outs to the computer's audio line in port, or to an external USB audio interface line in port, and set that up to play.

Korg keyboards that do have a USB audio interface include the Kross2 (but not the original Kross), and the Kronos.

BOBWITHKORG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: no sound Reply with quote

I know this is pretty basic. I Have plugged a 1\4 inch cable into the korg. I Have also plugged in the usb to my pc. I took the 1/4 inch cable and converted it to 1\8th inch. I then plugged it into my line in on my audio card on my pc. Can you explain why that does not give sound through my pc's speakers? I keep buying cables and nothing is happening. How sure are you that i if I spend the bucks for the external usb audio interface and hook that up to my pc and the m50 that I will be able to play the keyboard through my computer and speakers? Will this work without having any daw software installed? I don't really want to get into daw software if i dont have to. Just want to play my keyboard through my computer speakers.
Also what resonably priced audio interface do you reccomend. All opinions appreciated.
Thanks so much.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention which computer is being used for the M50 audio, nor which Korg M50 outputs. The first thing to do would be to use a 2 x 1/4" mono jack to 1/8" stereo jack adapter or lead, and connect them to the M50's L(mono) and R Audio Output jacks and to the computer's Audio In or Line In. Most computer Line Ins are 1/8" stereo. Next, check that Line In is enabled (it may not be by default). If on an older PC, double click on the speaker icon in the system tray, or if Windows 10, right click on the speaker icon and select "Open Sound Settings". Some modern PCs and laptops can detect external audio devices plugged into the Mic port and offer additional options in the Open Sound Settings dialogue. Bear in mind that some modern laptops only have a Headphone Out port and don't have an Audio In port, in which case an external USB Sound card or device will need to be connected. These can be tiny and inexpensive, but make sure it will accept TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) input jacks. TRRS (4-pole jack plug) devices won't work. Useful search results should come up with this link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=usb+sound+card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: