Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting initial chord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kall_me_karl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Setting initial chord Reply with quote

I'd like to set the starting chord for an Intro, without actually playing it, or at least not having it be heard if I play it. That way I could just push the Start button and off we go. I haven't figured out how to do this.

Furthermore, it would be nice if that initial chord (including NO chord - sometimes I use drums only for Intros) could be saved in the Songbook entry/Set list.

Is this possible? Thank you

Karl
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting initial chord Reply with quote

kall_me_karl wrote:
I'd like to set the starting chord for an Intro, without actually playing it, or at least not having it be heard if I play it. That way I could just push the Start button and off we go. I haven't figured out how to do this.--

Edit your Style, select element "Intro1", select Style Edit, delete All,
select Track Bass. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
select Track Acc1. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
select Track Acc2. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
select Track Acc3. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
select Track Acc4. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
select Track Acc5. select E/CV Intro 1, execute. yes
Write Style

Now you can start your Intro with Chords you can not hear.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn’t it be simpler to simply play the first chord with the expression pedal up (sound off) then hit start?

Alternatively, can you turn off the LWR sound, play a chord (silently), then start the Intro after you turn it back on again.

Lastly, how about a Chord Sequence with just the initial chord preloaded by the Songbook, hit Start, then stop the CS…
kall_me_karl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Wouldn’t it be simpler to simply play the first chord with the expression pedal up (sound off) then hit start?

Alternatively, can you turn off the LWR sound, play a chord (silently), then start the Intro after you turn it back on again.

Lastly, how about a Chord Sequence with just the initial chord preloaded by the Songbook, hit Start, then stop the CS…

Unfortunately I do not have an expression pedal. That might be the best option and I'll have to look into that.

I also can't see how to turn the LWR sound off completely from the screens.

I have saved my styles in the Songbook and Set List, but there is no way include an initial chord. That actually would be ideal, but how?

I suppose I could create a style with all accompaniment deleted, and switch back and forth. But when gigging, I would just like to just click the next tune in the Set List and everything is set up. It's so easy to make mistakes.

Karl
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the expression pedal is pretty much mandatory if you use the drawbars section or any non-velocity sensitive sounds, plus can give you a FAR more dynamic way to shade your playing than just velocity sensitivity…

I’d recommend one…
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting initial chord Reply with quote

kall_me_karl wrote:
I'd like to set the starting chord for an Intro, without actually playing it..

What did you mean with "I'd like to set the starting chord for an Intro".
Starting and stopping the accompaniment you can do manually (pressing the START/STOP button) or you can let the accompaniment automatically start or stop by just playing on the keyboard.
But automatically start does not mean you are starting with a chord, but means a style will start with its sequences in style-tracks after chord recognition detects that a key has been pressed.
And what did you mean with " without actually playing it or at least not having it be heard if I play it"?
If there are no events sequenced in the tracks of the style-elements you started via chord recognition nothing actually is playing or heared - although the style is already running.
Seems you do not want to use your Start/Stop button but just want to start with playing the keyboard without chords to be heared - simply do not use chords in that tracks sequences of the style you do not want to hear.
In case your style elements, however, should contain accomp-sequences simply start your playing with a smooth fade-in. That is while the accompaniment is not playing, press the FADE IN/OUT button to light up its indicator and start the accompaniment with a smooth fade-in - the accompaniment will start and when the maximum volume is reached, the indicator will turn off.
Setting the Fade time can be done in Global > General Controls > Basic to set the Fade In and Fade Out time.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think you understood his question, Sieben.

He wants to call up a registration, and start IN THE CORRECT KEY without playing anything. Or at least without anything being heard.

Usually, the arranger waits for that first played chord to determine what key the style plays in. Having to reprogram every style you want to do this with is a bit of a kluge if you could do it easier just raising the expression pedal, playing the chord, then starting the arranger, IMHO. Plus gives you the option of changing keys if you want to…
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Chord for recognition Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
.. think you understood his question…

I'm sorry, even though it was asked correctly, I completely misunderstood the question - but now is easy to answer: it is not possible to save a chord for the chord recognition - not even in the style

kall_me_karl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
He wants to call up a registration, and start IN THE CORRECT KEY without playing anything. Or at least without anything being heard.

Korghelper, you have described the problem better than I did!

Ultimately I think even the expression pedal solution is just a workaround. I should be able to save the key with the song. Currently I have to remember to play the initial chord before every tune. And if I want to start drums-only, I have to remember to NOT play a chord. Relying on my memory is never a good idea. Smile Smile

Thank you for your responses.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my solution of using the chord sequencer to start the style (just the first chord needs to be recorded) and then linking the Chord Sequence to the style using the Songbook would provide a hands completely off solution. You would merely have to remember to start the style using the CS start, and remember to turn it off before you started playing (or not, if you wanted say the first verse or so preprogrammed in case you didn’t get there in time)…

I’m presuming you want to do this so you can maybe play something else during the intro, or lead the crowd in some hand clapping, or whatever. Seems a bit of a faff to go through for no reason at all other that you want what you want!

If you aren’t locked out of playing anything at all and don’t want to use an expression pedal, the only other thing I can think of is to turn off the Lower sound and play the initial chord. There will be no sound. You then turn on the LWR sound before you start to play. But that’s hands on.

Try the Chord Sequencer. It’s about your only completely hands off option.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always turn off Memory,so only drums plays,and use an STS that will be splitted at C-1 but programed Bottom key anywhere you like, in case you want to play without trigerring chords,
or use an STS splitted in C4 with lower sound turned off if you want to trigger the cue for the drums.
Then save it as a songbook entry.

You can also have Start button to Off in case you don't want to trigger drums while you play,but only when you press Start/Stop.
That can be saved in songbook's entry too

greetings

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: