Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something strange happened to my minilogue... But what/how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grebby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Something strange happened to my minilogue... But what/how? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Sorry for the vague title. A strange issue has occurred with my Minilogue and I'm not really sure what is going on, but I'll try to explain.

This afternoon I have been using my Minilogue connected to an MPC1000 via MIDI and I believe at the moment when the issue started, I had it set up so that the MPC was sending Sync out, with MMC enabled. I was switching between the different modes on the MPC, but not in a way any different to how I have been using it for the past few years. I was using a patch on the Minilogue which was set to ARP and I had been playing some single note sequences, with the arpeggiation triggering with no problem. All of a sudden, when I went to press a key, the arpeggiation no longer triggered, but the note itself did, however with a weird slow envelope on the filter - like a short initial attack which then sort of sank down into a low passed sound.

I was concerned by this as I have never encountered this problem before. I figured maybe I had accidentally sent a CC message or something which has altered some setting of the patch data, so I switched to a different patch on my minilogue which used the ARP voice mode and to my further anxiety the same thing happened. I tried changing the master tempo, looking through all the settings in the menu, in the Global settings, Patch settings, etc, but nothing seemed to make any difference, no arpeggiation could be triggered. So I tried the old power off and on again.

When the Minilogue came back on, the arpeggiation on the patch I was using was now working as it should have been, but I noticed that some of my patches sounded kind of different - sort of choked and staticky, thinner than before. I knew this because I had recorded a loop on my delay pedal which the Minilogue was plugged directly into - when I played back the loop it sounded full and each step of the arpeggiation seemed to ring out longer, whereas now everything sounded kind of brittle and thin. I figured okay, maybe something in the patch data has been overwritten, so I connected to the computer and opened up the Sound Librarian, where I knew I had saved a version of this patch that was configured in the way that it was when I started working on things today. I transferred the saved version of the patch to the same slot but.... It sounded the same.

I tried to think about what might have changed - I tweaked the LFO intensity dial and that seemed to sort of bring the sound back into the configuration it resembled on the loop from my delay pedal, but not quite. The LFO was modulating the Shape parameter of the oscillators (which were both set to Squarewave, which can be reduced to almost nothing with the Shape dial), so I tweaked the shape dials on both oscillators a small amount and managed to recreate the sound of the patch as it originally was, or close enough.

I am about to go through a bunch of my other patches and see if there are any obvious similar issues, but I believe that somehow the global oscillator phase configuration has been altered, as if everything has been moved very slightly. This probably sounds kind of crazy but I don't really know how else to explain it and I don't really know what has happened. Has anyone got any idea what is going on and if it is an issue which requires a service or firmware update?? Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Really deeply confused by this haha, I would like to know how to avoid causing this problem again if I have done so this time!

Any help much appreciated,
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: