Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue: MIDI sync takes a good bar to settle down
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyehatered

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey modular1

i'm with you ! your explanation sounds very logic in itself...

but as you said: we are in the 2020'ies ! Common Korg fix that "insync issue" ! A customer for over 30 years now can expect that
modular1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of you are not using the Korg midi driver because you are unable to install it? I am unable to install it as it is not compatible with OSX Catalina.

I installed osx Mojave on an external drive so I could install the Korg midi driver. I tested it with a fresh Ableton install with the Korg midi driver and it still doesn't work. Just as sloppy as before.

*edit update* it was never anything to do with the midi driver. the midi din port does not ever use a driver and it behaves the same there.

Last edited by modular1 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
modular1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would actually be really useful for everyone to test this on their own Prologue as it will help every owner get bugs fixed. Just because its something that doesn't affect your workflow doesn't mean you should ignore it and not get involved as one day there may be something that does that we can help with.
If you have awful timing issues with your Prologue midi clock sync, PLEASE complain to Korg support directly in your country. If we don't let them know DIRECTLY it will likely never get fixed.

This is the issue. Clock options are Auto:USB or Auto: Midi. The 'auto' option is the culprit here. Where the clock stops the Prologue is defaulting back to the internal clock. When the clock starts the 'auto' function senses the incoming clock and switches to the external clock causing the stumbling over itself for the two or so bars until it's its figured out.

If your Prologue exhibits this behaviour please email Korg support and tell them. This is the whole point of these kinds of communities right?
modular1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see this awful behaviour in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Roo-EckQOg

I returned my Prologue to the store because of this issue. It behaved like this on both ports using Logic, Ableton and Elektron devices.

What I have since learned is that none of these daw/devices send clock when they are stopped.
My latest setup does (Cirklon) so I'm actually interested in taking it to a store and testing another Prologue out. It's such a shame that this could easily be solved with the addition of a dedicated external midi clock setting that stops the prologue constantly switching back to internal clock.

I'd like to hear from a Bitwig or Maschine user (both DAWs send clock when stopped) to see if you can confirm that your prologue stays locked to external clock when stopped.

UPDATE:
Someone on a Prologue forum that was having sync issues with Logic tried out Bitwig Demo and it cured his sync woes.

Korg does not play well with Ableton and Logic.
Bitwig is your new friend.

Try it and report back.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modular1 wrote:

What I have since learned is that none of these daw/devices send clock when they are stopped.

I found that Cakewalk/Sonar send the clock as transport is stopped, but receiving devices does not act unless Start/continue is sent.

I tested on synths as well as my eDrum module.

My guess is that it takes too much cpu or something....
modular1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
modular1 wrote:

I found that Cakewalk/Sonar send the clock as transport is stopped, but receiving devices does not act unless Start/continue is sent.

Standard behaviour. You obviously need things to start and stop in sync. The prologues issues stem from when the ticks that send the tempo stop being sent on stop.

Using Bitwig, Cubase (optional clock send) or a sequencer like my Cirklon that sends the clock timebase when stopped cures the issue with the Prologue.

Ableton and Logic do not play nicely with Korg gear. These are the facts. I have spoken to enough people now to know that this stands true for various Prologue owners with different setups.

IF this is sync issue annoys you try the free Bitwig demo and be cured.
eyehatered

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now use bitwig as a bridge (im logic user) for sending mid clock in stopp mode. the prologue is fixed to external with the appropriate tempo and there is NO isync issue anymore. so this confirms that when the prologue can be set by default to ext. (ie not waiting til the signal is coming) its working.

my workaround (on mac):
in audio midi setup create a IAC Port (i named it "Bitwig") to allow midi communication
in Bitwig choose this Port as Midi synchonization under midi in, leav SPP and MTC BLANK
in Bitwig choose the desired synth port as midi out
in Logic check if the midiclock to this synth in the synchronization tab is UNCHECKED
in Logic set the clock mode to pattern (i get completely weird signal when set to spp)
in Logic the midi port ist as normal desired synth ist set to

i simply use the bitwig as a bridge for sending clock in stop mode, nothing else. as logic is the master in this setup and bitwig the "slave sending midi clock stop signal" its timing ist very reliable as far as i can judge
eyehatered

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i now use bitwig as a bridge (im logic user) for sending mid clock in stopp mode. the prologue is fixed to external with the appropriate tempo and there is NO isync issue anymore. so this confirms that when the prologue can be set by default to ext. (ie not waiting til the signal is coming) its working.

my workaround (on mac):
in audio midi setup create a IAC Port (i named it "Bitwig") to allow midi communication
in Bitwig choose this Port as Midi synchonization under midi in, leav SPP and MTC BLANK
in Bitwig choose the desired synth port as midi out
in Logic check if the midiclock to this synth in the synchronization tab is UNCHECKED
in Logic set the clock mode to pattern (i get completely weird signal when set to spp)
in Logic the midi port ist as normal desired synth ist set to

i simply use the bitwig as a bridge for sending clock in stop mode, nothing else. as logic is the master in this setup and bitwig the "slave sending midi clock stop signal" its timing ist very reliable as far as i can judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: