Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M1 (hardware) vs VST parameter mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstoelen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Korg M1 (hardware) vs VST parameter mapping Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to own a hardware version of the M1 but had to sell it, now I have a copy of the v2 VST version.
It sounds almost exactly like the hardware version, so no issues there.

However, I wrote the parameters of a few of my own patches down (yes, on paper), and I'm trying to re-program them into the VST version. But either the VST's layout is completely different to the menus of the hardware synth, or else I'm completely lost..

Is there any explanation available how the VST's "Program" layout corresponds to that of the hardware version? Sad

Thanks in advance!

PS: I can upload a picture if needed, with the parameters I wrote down many years ago
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M1 filters lacked Resonance, so did not have a Resonance parameter for the filters, whereas the VST version does.

The M1 had to make the most of the 2 lines x 40 character display, whereas the M1 VST v1 GUI is 500 x 800 pixels, so much more real estate for the designers to play with. The v2 is scaleable, though still based around the v1 GUI.

I've had a look at a few Programs, to try and make more sense out of the Parameter settings.

There are two levels at which parameter adjustment can be made, and it is worth noting that their behaviour differs between hardware and VST. There are the adjustments made during Program Play mode (i.e. when the hardware M1's PROG button is lit), and those made in Program Edit mode (when the hardware M1's EDIT PROG button is lit). The VST does not have these as separate "modes" and, effectively, both are visible and accessible to the user at the same time.

In Program Play mode on the hardware M1, the parameter values all start at 00, and correspond mostly to the values in the left hand block of the VST, which are also initially set to 00. In the hardware M1, any changes made to these values result in a scaled adjustment of the relevant values in the corresponding parameters in the hardware M1's Program Edit mode, and which are represented in the right hand block of the VST. In the VST version, however, the parameter values in the right hand block on the VST are not scaled in value by alterations in values in the left hand side, and remain fixed, although it is clear, from way the Program sound changes, that scaling is taking place. For the hardware M1 Programs, in Program Play mode, the various Parameters on the bottom line of the display in Program mode are: O=OSC balance, F=VDF Cutoff, L=VDA Level, K=KBD Tracking, V=Velocity Sensitivity, A=VDF/A Attack time, R=VDF/A Release time, and E=Effect Balance. These should, of course, match to the relevant parameters in the VST left hand block, apart from velocity sensitivity. For converting between the two, it's worth noting that the scaling differs between the two. On the hardware M1, the Program Play parameters are adjustable from -10 to +10, whereas on the VST, the user has the range -50 to +50.

Can you remember in which hardware M1 Program mode your parameter values were written? If you could post the pics of your notes, I will try to make sense of them for you.

gstoelen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply; I spent some more time on trying to match the parameters but it's still unclear to match my notes with the vst screens.

It's probably faster to find a hardware M1 owner, ask them to program the few patches and have them exported, so I can import them into the vst version Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give it a go. The hardware M1 is right next to me :-)

gstoelen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very kind - I'm currently at work and my notes are at home, but I have a photo of one of the patch parameters on my phone .. I'll send you a pm with the link Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK PM sent, with a link to the VST version of the Program. See what you think.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is trying to map their hardware M1 Programs to the VST, here is a spreadsheet approach that might help. It relies on clicking on a parameter cell, and using the "Trace Dependents" feature in Excel to point to the relevant parameter area in the VST. The "Trace Dependents" feature is not available from the box.net preview.

https://app.box.com/s/yrbudef8r1cj7cgmn6kqpnx76qpx98j3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: