Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Ordered a PA1000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyboardbill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Just Ordered a PA1000 Reply with quote

Just ordered a PA1000 and looking for advice on where to start. I've owned many arrangers before but not familiar with Songbook at all.

I have many MIDI (100+) and MP3 (30+) files to move over and setup.

Just want to try and avoid some of the rookie mistakes.

Thanks,
Bill
gwc uk

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill. There are many Korg Tutorials freely available. search YouTube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKpAPuR3ADQ&list=PLI2nrlSczxHp4PpD4vophUiPu0E0Ouwav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8uB2dHfQbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE87BZTf-pE
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start off watching the Korg Video Manual series forthe Pa1000

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GE87BZTf-pE

Then move on to all the other video tutorials.

Korgworld.co.uk

Also was their prior Pa Series webinars available fromthe above Korg UK website.

Follow the links
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather archaic advice, but...when you get the keyboard, open the owner's manual on your pc, and with the keyboard on in front of you, go through the manual and become familiar with the operating system.
Once you learn it, it's easy to use. But there is a learning curve.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your advice.
I admit that when I bought the Pa1000 I didn't expect to read a 1,080 page Owners Manual and watch hour long videos.
It seems that the easy bit is immediately understanding and then playing the sets (they are registrations, so why not call them registrations?)
AFter that came the frustration, and I am not a patient person at the best of times!

I've programmed computers for 40 years. using all kinds of languages.
This operating system is certainly a user unfriendly mess - it's been added on bit by bit, and it's still using DOS!

So, it seems that I have to start the long plod through the owners manual and videos.

But I like the voices, but not too sure about the styles yet (Yamaha styles are much more sophisticated).

Anyway, again, thanks for your kind assistance, it's much appreciated.
John.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
sets (they are registrations, so why not call them registrations?)

There is very little standardization of terminology among brands. In fact, there's a lot of variation even within brands. There is nothing inherently "correct" about "registration."

"Registration" dates back to pipe organs... it was the particular combination of "stops" required to acheive a certain sound. The same word was carried over to the Hammond organs (which were essentially designed as pipe organ emulators) where a given set of drawbar settings would similarly be called a registration. So registration was essentially "the settings required to acheive a particular sound."

Today, the settings required to acheive a particular single sound goes by many names. Roland may call it a Tone or a Patch ("patch" being derived from early synthesizers, where different sounds were acheived by running physical patch cords from one patch point to another). Yamaha has often called it a Voice. Korg and Kurzweil call it a Program.

Then there are the names for the saved split and layered combinations of multiple tones/patches/voices/programs. Roland has called these things registrations, performances, live sets, and studio sets (at least). Korg usually calls them Combis. Casio has called them Registrations and Stage Settings. Kurzweil has called them Multis or Setups. Yamaha may call them Performances or Live Sets.

So I'd say, don't pick on the PA for this one. Wink
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Learn to use the settings of a keyboard Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
.. I've programmed computers for 40 years. using all kinds of languages. This operating system is certainly a user unfriendly mess - it's been added on bit by bit, and it's still using DOS! ..

The reference to the properties of the OS is unsuitable as an excuse for a lack of patience when getting to know the functions of a keyboard equipped with extensive features (editors for sounds, samples, styles, pads, etc.).

The note "using DOS" is also wrong, because system of Pa-Keyboards are running on a Korg created Linux variant (that eliminate unnecessary processes that use up resources).

Think it would be better to accept that complex systems can be used more or less intuitively, as long as they are designed consistently and are based on knowledge that has been learned once.

Be sure that OS of Pa-Keyboards are designed so consistently to be used intuitively. But for this you have to deal with the tools of Pa-Arranger at least once. Regardless of how long and with which languages you have programmed your computer beforehand - it still makes sense to read Owners Manual or watch videos, to avoid rookie mistakes as it fears Original Poster "keyboarbill".
Pa-Keyboard-user can transfer what they have learned from a predecessor to another or successor model, because of its interaction structures are highly consistent from series to series (been added on bit by bit ?).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to express my thanks to all who helped me in this.
I have persevered with the Pa1000, and it is a good keyboard, but, as someone has said, the owners manual has been translated from other language(s) leaving it it very hard to decipher in real English.

I am however improving my understanding, and starting to enjoy using it. (Thoughts of returning it have receded, although the sales back up from the seller is non-existent.

Again, thank uou all.
And my best regards to you,
John.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your original post you indicated that you have had very many arrangers, given that there are limited manufacturers would it be fair to write and assume that they were primarily Yamaha’s?

As you have now found out Korg OS is very different and unfortunately the only way of learning is to slog away through the tutorials and the comprehensive manual.

The Video Manual series of tutorials that have been quoted do give the basic operation of each of the features.

Then if the following is watched, digested and practiced you will then have a better idea on using Songbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMfOe0qUXo

The effective use of Sonbook is imo the key to using a Pa.

Good luck
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your original post you indicated that you have had very many arrangers, given that there are limited manufacturers would it be fair to write and assume that they were primarily Yamaha’s?

As you have now found out Korg OS is very different and unfortunately the only way of learning is to slog away through the tutorials and the comprehensive manual.

The Video Manual series of tutorials that have been quoted do give the basic operation of each of the features.

Then if the following is watched, digested and practiced you will then have a better idea on using Songbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMfOe0qUXo

The effective use of Sonbook is imo the key to using a Pa.

Good luck
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Biggles for your kind reply.
I am rapidly learning that I shouldn't expect the Owners Manual to be logical.
But, having recently taken a a course in Japanese Klingon, I am finding it a little easier.
Clearly, the many, many YouTube videos available about this keyboard show that it isn't just me who has trouble understanding it. Thank goodness!

I have mainly had Yamaha keybords before, hence I'm in an un-learning Yamaha mode too, although I have still got my Tyros5/76.

Anyway, I have been following the advice to watch the videos, and it's starting to work.
Regards to all,
John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: