Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Trinity V3 - restore factory sounds via sysex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debragraceperi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Korg Trinity V3 - restore factory sounds via sysex Reply with quote

My Korg Trinity V3 floppy drive hasn't worked for years so when I recently had to replace the internal battery I lost all of the settings. I was able to reset the synth but of course that doesn't restore the factory sounds (a design flaw IMHO).

Are there any sysex files to restore the factory sounds for a Korg Trinity V3?

I don't want to purchase another floppy drive, it seems much easier to simply use a sysex command to restore the sounds.

I've looked through these forums and on the internet, no luck.

Any help is very appreciated!

Last edited by debragraceperi on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SysEx files for a factory restore of the Trinity V3 are like hen's teeth. All that can be hoped for is that some kind soul, with a working Trinity V3, will read your woes and, out of the kindness of their hearts, create a sysex dump of their factory-state Trinity.

Or this may help:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18508

debragraceperi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually not helpful. Aside from the strained poetics that post is ancient, and the application is for Windows only.

It's surprising that Korg doesn't have these presets available as sysex files. Who uses a floppy disk anymore, if they even work. It's an easy thing for a manufacturer to provide for their customers. Bad form, Korg. Do better.

voip wrote:
The SysEx files for a factory restore of the Trinity V3 are like hen's teeth. All that can be hoped for is that some kind soul, with a working Trinity V3, will read your woes and, out of the kindness of their hearts, create a sysex dump of their factory-state Trinity.

Or this may help:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18508

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the indignation!! ;-)

The post may be ancient, but so is the keyboard. It's now over 20 years since production ceased; most of the early ownership enthusiasm and forum posts will be similarly aged. Korg are exemplary in providing the support that they do, for products no longer for sale.

The problem, as I see it, is that the factory preload disks also include sample and other data, so a simple SysEx PCG data approach won't work. The only option is to fix the disk drive issue, or engineer some sort of hack.

debragraceperi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're wrong, the entire patch profiles can be restored via sysex. It may be an old synth, that has no bearing on my question. It still sounds great.

If you're not going to be helpful then please refrain from replying.

voip wrote:
Ahhh, the indignation!! Wink

The post may be ancient, but so is the keyboard. It's now over 20 years since production ceased; most of the early ownership enthusiasm and forum posts will be similarly aged. Korg are exemplary in providing the support that they do, for products no longer for sale.

The problem, as I see it, is that the factory preload disks also include sample and other data, so a simple SysEx PCG data approach won't work. The only option is to fix the disk drive issue, or engineer some sort of hack.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replies were intended to be helpful, or at least encouraging progress to be made. If you don't see it as that, then that's a pity. Time to say goodbye, then. All the best.

Richiebonds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Factory Sounds Reset Reply with quote

It may be that the floppy disk drive band, made of rubber, has lost its elasticity, as happend with my even more ancient Yamaha SY-77. Once I replaced the band, the floppy worked perfectly. If this is so with your floppy disk drive band, you can replace it, and then reload factory sounds on your Trinity with the TFD-01P-V3 floppy disk. Should have come with your board, if you bought it new. Otherwise, you can find that disk at keyboardkountry.com or reverb.com. The above mentioned floppy will load banks A, B, and M in Performance mode, and A and B in Combination mode. I have not yet found a way to reload the original factory sounds for banks C and D in either mode. A sticky wicket. Really want those original sounds. Lost all my sounds when my internal batter died, like you did. Knowing that the new battery I installed in my board will not last forever, I am really looking for a way to get all the voice banks in both modes reloaded to factory original state in such a way that I can repeat the process when my current battery expires. That is, short of trying to reload one voice at a time. Bought my Trinity because I loved all the voices, so many excellent sounds. I want my WHOLE board back!!!!
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good and bad news for you. You won’t find a « preload » file for bank C and D as those banks were for mainly the new samples you load with the PBS-TRI option, so there would be no standard programs and combis as everybody would have different sample sets. The Korg Orchestral set used bank C and D and the M1 set only used bank C, as an example.

The good news is, if you have bank C and D, you have the PBS-TRI installed(or maybe just the hack for adding bank C and D). If you go to Global P6, you’ll see if you have 8MB of flash ROM installed.

If you had stuff in those 2 banks they were probably different progs and combis gathered from different collections.
debragraceperi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
The good news is, if you have bank C and D, you have the PBS-TRI installed(or maybe just the hack for adding bank C and D). If you go to Global P6, you’ll see if you have 8MB of flash ROM installed.

There isn't a P6 in the global section (Korg Trinity Plus).

I'm really surprised that Korg doesn't supply sysex files for everything that can be found on the floppies. It would be so easy for them to do so.

--Debra
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debragraceperi wrote:
blinkofanI wrote:

There isn't a P6 in the global section (Korg Trinity Plus).

I'm really surprised that Korg doesn't supply sysex files for everything that can be found on the floppies. It would be so easy for them to do so.

--Debra

I was responding to Richiebonds’ message. If a Trinity has nothing on P6 of Global mode, it means it doesn’t have the PBS-TRI board. A Trinity can have the memory expansion chips so it will add 2 banks of programs and combis + 128 total prog memories for the MOSS or SOLO board instead of 64.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: